• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can we finally expect high quality bullet cracks to increase passive suppression

awyattmann

Apr 26, 2015
Red orchestra has never done a very good job on bullets wizzing by. So far the best job was done on RO2 but its still fake hollywood "ZOOP WHIZ" noises that in reality only happen when a bullet richochets and goes subsonic.

In reality when a bullet comes by its a friggen scary loud experience. Like a firecracker going off over your head. This where the concept of "trial by fire" comes from. Because many soldiers completely freeze up the first time they are in combat because they do not expect being shot at to be so scary.

I hope the sound designers implement this instead of some silly "you slow down or your gun becomes wobbly" mechanic.

Here are some low quality examples of what it sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03g9WheYpc

keep in mind that youtube videos cannot capture the sound properly because of the range of sound it produces overpowers the microphone. Send the audio engineers to a range pit to experience it.

if this is properly implemented in game it should be overpowering and be louder than other sounds in the evironment by a large margin

Last edited:
The suppression system was a good start in RO2/RS, however it felt wrong in several situations.
Sometimes a single bullet has sent me for a 2-3min recovery somewhere in a sheltered corner from my black-white screen, yet when a grenade gruesomely showered me in body parts of my fellow comrades, the suppression meter stayed green.
Sometimes I would not be suppressed at all, which is ridiculous, as the majority of times when being shot at you just wet your pants. It's totally normal I'd say. I have never been to a war except paintball, but even there you get a crazy heart beat when you are fired upon.

Suppression should be present for all weapons, even pistol rounds passing you should have you suppressed. If comrades get killed suppression should be high, especially if you get showered with body parts, you should sit there at least an entire minute in black-white.

Upvote 0
The sounds were my biggest issue with RO2 and Rising Storm. A lot of the times you can't even tell you're being shot at until you get hit. Arma 3 does the best with sounds that I've seen any game do so far. Project Reality also does a pretty good job as well.

Also, another thing I should bring up is the weak explosion sounds. You know how in every match you see new players run straight into artillery barrages? Part of that is because the explosions don't sound threatening enough. Here's a video example of mortars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtP6rRDYfTc

Now I'm not saying the game should match real life, but at least make bullets and explosions loud and threatening enough that it'll make you think twice before running through an open field.

Upvote 0
Suppression should be present for all weapons, even pistol rounds passing you should have you suppressed. If comrades get killed suppression should be high, especially if you get showered with body parts, you should sit there at least an entire minute in black-white.

There is just the unfortunate obstacle you really cannot play psychology like that in any reliable manner. Not just the typical "it's impossible to simulate fear of death" etc but even the most robust systems to discourage such behaviour cannot really stop it. DH perhaps had the functionally closest one but simply because it directly ****ed with player's own control, and even that did not put a stop for someone who really wanted to yolo in moderate ranges.

After all, what does black and white vision really do or how does it effect? If I know the map fairly well and common spots where people are or plan my route does it really hinder my ability to do something?

Upvote 0
Red orchestra has never done a very good job on bullets wizzing by. So far the best job was done on RO2 but its still fake hollywood "ZOOP WHIZ" noises that in reality only happen when a bullet richochets and goes subsonic.

In reality when a bullet comes by its a friggen scary loud experience. Like a firecracker going off over your head. This where the concept of "trial by fire" comes from. Because many soldiers completely freeze up the first time they are in combat because they do not expect being shot at to be so scary.

I hope the sound designers implement this instead of some silly "you slow down or your gun becomes wobbly" mechanic.

Here are some low quality examples of what it sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03g9WheYpc

keep in mind that youtube videos cannot capture the sound properly because of the range of sound it produces overpowers the microphone. Send the audio engineers to a range pit to experience it.

if this is properly implemented in game it should be overpowering and be louder than other sounds in the evironment by a large margin

I agree with your analysis and hope that a large page from the IOM book is taken with RS 2. On the other hand, didnt "Trial by Fire" have more to do with Salem witch trials?

Upvote 0

I've never seen someone blown apart, but I've never heard of one's vision going black and white from it. Really, what is the point of that? All that is needed for both gameplay and realism sake is:

- Supersonic cracks (unless its .45 or other subsonic rounds). Sound can be turned down if it proves to be too loud. We don't want to kill our hearing.

- A slight "blinking" effect, similar to RO1. Something to slightly jitter your screen and make return fire a little harder. But not something that artificially disables your character's vision/control and make you play like a stumbling drunk.

That is all that is needed. Suppression fire is just that. Suppressive fire to discourage the enemy from popping back up. Not a morale system, or a fear system, or a deafening system or whatever they tried to emulate in RO2.

Our screens should never loose color and our hearing, save for nearby explosions, should never go mute. Some ringing from explosions like in RO1 would be nice but it shouldn't be taken to the extreme. Again, like overly loud bullet cracks, that is just one instance where realism can be reduced for gameplay sake.

Upvote 0
https://youtu.be/T02C9zblHKwhttps://youtu.be/T02C9zblHKw
If this is what the OP wants when this will be one of the most unpleasant 30 minutes of gameplay experiences in a bad way. And i want IOM's poorly implemented gimmicks kept out from potentially ruining a good game here.
yep...,the IOM mod bullet crack sounds are a little over the top...it gets on your ears.

like i said the INSURGENCY suppression effects are spot on,not too loud not too silent,no color change,it does not mess with you aim and just a little bit of blur...perfect. :)

>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-X5LBgvik

Upvote 0