• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can we all take a deep breath guys?

JudgeMental

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006
UK
www.icm-clan.com
I've got to be honest here, while it is definetely true that free exchange of information can only improve the game ( thats what it is, by the way, a GAME) it is also true that too much of an exchange can only cause conflict and aggravation. In the last few days of looking at this forum I have waded through seemingly endless posts in all of which the posters, no doubt sincerely have asked for thier hearts desire or fix to be applied to the game. Some of those posts and debates have degenerated to name calling and such which as far as I can see help no-one.
Some months ago while visiting the DMW forums (an Anti-Cheat for MOHAA) I saw a debate over a setting in the game called 'force skins' this was a setting that was incorporated into the game that could be utilised if you had a lower spec machine and could not spare the power to render multiple uniforms on line.The switch was made obselete by progress made in computers as most players have a far higher spec of machine than is required to play MOHAA. The gist of the argument was that people wanted to allow this switch to be retained in game even though it allowed an unscrupulous player to inflict winter skins on the opposition German team while on a summer map. This as you can imagine was a huge advantage in game as the enemy stuck out like a sore thumb. Funnily enough, the same players who wanted a realism setting like 'Crow King Realism' ALSO wanted the switch to be enabled so they could then see who was who.Some kind of conflict here methinks.The debate over the switch and its settings was quite acrimonious at one stage.
While for different reasons, I am begining to see the same results here.The realism clans want one thing and for them it is the be all and end all. Tankies want quite another and for them the failure to secure it ruins the game. Infantry based clans want their own thing too and it seems that all these things while laudable are in some cases counterproductive and cannot be applied without tweaks or fixes being required to other areas.The most disappointing aspect in all this is the previously mentioned stooping to name calling and such.
My veiwpoint on all this is different though by no means unique: I have been to war twice for my country, I'm not saying that to make myself out to be the "Big I Am" as reading these forums has revealed that there are others who've done the same.

Notes on realism:
REALISTICALLY, I would not attack a position unless I had three times the number of troops they had (under ideal circumstances) or at least more and better materiel.Thats a military thing, not because I'm a chicken :D. Obviously circumstances dictate your actions before we have any corrections being added . How many servers out there restrict defenders to 1/3 the number of attackers?

Realistically I would conduct FIBUA ( fighting in a built up area) by blowing up walls etc with AT weapons to effect 'short cuts' to areas. The engine in this game won't allow it so I can live without it, and will not moan at the devs to fix something beyond their capabilities to fix.
Realistically I would expect the gun group in an infantry section to provide the bulk of the suppression fire when attacking an enemy. This has been touched on in previous debates and I'm sure is 'in hand'

Realistically If I asked a tank commander to take a village objective, he would ask for intimate support from infantry to prevent his tank being destroyed by dug in dismounts. Regardless of what weapon they used be it IED's, satchel charges, AT weapons etc. Yes the PTRD is puny by comparison with the P'Faust but P'Fausts are freely availiable to all to BALANCE the game.

Realistically TK's happen. Its regrettable but its a fact of life.Blue on blues on Op Telic (Iraqi Freedom for Americans) are running at over 30 %, when you extropolate that to game terms, kicking someone for 1 or 2 TK's is excessive. On our own server when playing Stalingrad Kessel my guys will tell you that I am "by the book" as an engineer. I plant the charge and then say clearly on team VOIP "charge planted at ****** stand clear, stand clear", I still get kicked occaisionally as peeps may not have heard, or listened or may have their VOIP turned off. Accidents happen....LOL I get kicked

The whole G41 debate has seemed to miss the point. Yes the weapon has been included to add BALANCE. When a n00by RO player joins the server and joins the Axis team to add balance, he finds the only weapon he can choose is the KAR 98, its a great weapon but he still finds himself being 'pwned' (that is such a sad word) by Oberfeldwebel N00bkiller and his svt. Result he leaves the game and decides to find another game thats easier to get into, like COD2 etc. All in all, it appears that the victory Oberfeldwebel N00bkiller is a pyrric one, hes got his kill, but COD2 got their man. If you want weapons load outs to be realistic then what is needed is a realism mutator to fulfil the same function that CKR did in MOHAA. Then you can add the mutator to your server and make sure you POST CLEARLY in you server address that its for realism/experts only. That way n00bies can avoid it while like minded individuals can come in and join the party.
In numerous threads on these forums I have seen people post how friendly the community is, broadly speaking on a clan basis that is correct, I have had help from other clans given to =IcM= and on a personal level. On public servers however what I've noticed is bad behaviour both snobbish and elitest from many players. We don't tolerate it on our server, it results in a warning, then a ban. Others need to do the same.
If any of what I said has provided food for thought or stimulated debate, that can only be good. All HEALTHY debate is encouraged.
Finally, thanks TW peeps, its a great game, it has its faults but then so do I!!

*sigh* good ol days of mohaa with ckr and a tommy gun ...

yeah, i have to agree with you, some peeps cant forgive tks and just dont listen..., teamwork is there in this game, but its faded from the ammount that was there in earlierversions. however i find most people are willing to follow a good commander, but even after my post on the skills of commanding(which i am fairly good at, not meaning to brag) i havent seen many more people attempting commanding.

yes, also people need to be more patient (ive been saying this for a while), because even if your suggestion is good, it will take tripwire time to put it in the game, and they WONT say its going to be in the game till they are ABSOLUTELY SURE its going into the game. ive worked on dev teams and i know why theres lots of secrecy, its just a buffer incase something dosent work in game, then it can be tossed without 500 people saying "WHERE DID THIS ITEM GO" then creating a loooong ***** fest about how the dev team is slack or stupid or something because they forgot this onnne thing.

yes also sadly the game chooses ballance in some areas instead of realism, a great example of that is the pfausts, they should only be available at german spawns, so the only way a ruskie could get one is off a dead german. i mean give me a break, they spawn on the russian side in baraska (at the peninsula).

Edit: you said you fought twice for your country, im just curious where you fought? (i have alot of respect for soldiers in the army, and its been a dream for a long time to do a tour of duty in the service for my country)

Upvote 0
Still a little confused over the point of the original topic but I one must remember that video games cannot emulate real life unless the players are willing to immerse themselves.

That's the big difference between a video simulator used for training (total immersion) and a video game (escapism).

True a degree of immersion certianly can elevate the enjoyment of a game immensly and RO of all the games out there offers the players the greatest opportunity to at least try and immerse themselves.

In real life military , you have a very definit chain of command and specific orders to obey otherwise the penalties can be quit severe. In a game it can be simpy one big free for all.

And you know what the biggest detractor from playing realistically is IMO??

The lack of a decent VOIP communications system.

I still want to be able to identify who is asking me to follow them or who is requesting ammo , but I can't so I gave up trying.

But thats another topic.

Upvote 0
If you're trying to say something to everyone, try to do so more succinctly. I can't imagine many people will want to read that whole post.
OK, succinct.
1Theres too much elitism (still) in game, forums etc
2 We all seem to want something different, its not possible to satisfy everyone , get over it. It will arrive...in time.
3 Don't stoop to namecalling, flames etc just 'cos someone has a different view
4 Realism....everyone wants it, its just that everyone has different ideas of what it is
5 TK its a fact of life in a war, by percentages most servers tolerate less than is actually realistic.

There you go, thats the condensed version. :D

Upvote 0