• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can somebody explain me this...

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    Why on earth for whatever reason steam loses connection and boots you out of the server, it resets the config files?
    I'd understand if my levels were not retrieved because of steam being a broken mess that it is and not letting the game receive the save file, because my client during that period is "offline".... But almost all of the config files? nah m8 im not buying it.

So now whenever that happens, i have to redo all the gameplay settings, all the inventory and gear equipments.... And if you're one of many unlucky that didn't create a Defaultinput.ini file, redo the inputs as well...

Nope, it just became a bit too often of an issue when steam had discord wannabe update and now can suddenly lose connection when you're in the middle of the game.
    And if steam is offline, it throws you out of the game and then resets almost everything.
    And no my internet connection is not an issue as everything runs during those moments.... And when game finally shuts off, steam gets back online in a pinch. :thonk:

Upvote 0
    It is very annoying. Back when my internet connection was not so stable it made me sad several times.
    Tripwire could fix it, but it is probably not high on their priority list.
    Possible workarounds are to save a copy of your config that you copy each time or make the config files read only.

Upvote 0
    Shy Bell;n2334357 said:
    It is very annoying. Back when my internet connection was not so stable it made me sad several times.
    Tripwire could fix it, but it is probably not high on their priority list.
    Possible workarounds are to save a copy of your config that you copy each time or make the config files read only.

Read only causes more issues than you might assume.
    + backed up cfg's often than not these days can be ignored by the game and it would reset back into the default state.
    Even backing up input.ini requires you to rename it correctly as the game is also case sensitive to the file names (wasn't a problem anymore)

And tbh i don't think tripwire would be able to fix the issue as its all in the hands of Steam and their broke arse servers.
    ​​​​Solved the issue of players editing their levels in save files, created an issue where the settings keep resetting if the client loses connection to steam mid game, or the game received an update but the save files did not.

And with valve releasing a half baked seriously resource hoging steam chat update that is prone to crashing or losing connection to steam... Even a few feedbacks later, didn't improve situation over a year in the slightest.
    (so much resources but they still can't get their own client to stop running like a brick)

​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

Upvote 0
    V1088 b2, game lost connection to the master server again (while internet was still working.)
    And again resets some parameters, such as:
    Volume
    Gameplay options
    Character cosmetic choices
    Was actually hoping that one of the cfg's would retain the info needed to load it all back up.... bot nope, looks like those parameters are tied to something external which is annoying.

Upvote 0