• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

smokeythebear

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheppards house
I'm not too into single player, most games I play I just go straight for MP and never touch the campaign. But for RO I admit I'm at least interested how it will be done.

I'm guessing it will be like Ghost recon, varying objectives on a single map that can be tackled in any order. I'd be suprised if there was any character driven story, most likely it will follow the events of the battle with the player and his squad being more like spectators (again like in GR).

Also I really hope the soviet campaign is focused on pavlovs house. It would be really hard to pull off but I can imagine how well it could be done.

I would like to see a campaign that tells the story of your squad just like in BiA. I loved how the story was told and how the different characters were introduced to the player. It just felt real, just the way some TWI guy said :"some games make you feel like you watch a war movie, RO makes you feel like you're in the war". Thats somehow the feeling you got in BiA and that should also be in the RO campaigns, but with the good old and gritty RO athmosphere

Upvote 0
Personally, I would prefer all resources go into making the best multi-player game they can. Most single-player campaigns are played through as fast as possible or skipped all together. Of course this is from my viewpoint, perhaps TWI has data that says different.

That might just be you, i always play singleplayer before multiplayer (RO as exception ofcourse:p).
My favourite game of all time Operation Flashpoint i have played for over 500 hours but i never even touched the multiplayer part, i have only played single player campaigns and missions.
And the campaign in ROHOS might serve as a good introduction for people to come to terms with the gameplay before hopping into multiplayer.

Upvote 0
If Tripwire can afford to have a full length campaign mode, then I'm all for it. As long as there are enough guys to work on the multiplayer (no point in going all out on a new feature, if the older, classic feature takes a step back in quality).
The only thing I might be opposed to is a single player campaign like UT3's, which was just a bunch of multiplayer games strung together with pretty cutscenes. I'm personally hoping for a story, which doesn't even need to be overly long. For example, a period of say a couple of weeks spent in Stalingrad narrating on a squad's worth of men.
And if the main character ends up dying in the story, it can really show off the brutality and hopelessness (for the Germans) of the battle.

Upvote 0
I doubt CoD4 would have been such a success without a great single player campaign. Single player is important, particularly if TW intend on making console versions at any point, but there are plenty of PC Gamers like me who enjoy getting engrossed and immersed in a good story, and there are many gamers out there that dont enjoy playing Online adversarial gametypes that much..so a co-op campaign could be a real selling point too.

Playing from the German perspective will be a unique experience, and hats off to TW to be the first to properly attempt it.

Something I'd like to see in the game is more civilians. Most WW2 games seem to bypass the fact that these cities soldiers were fighting in were full of civilians, and there would have been plenty of dead in the streets too. If WW2 games want to offer a realistic experience, then Civilians need to be included in my view. BiA:HH did this very well at points in the game, and despite my main criticism of the BiA series as being overly sentimental, the story is always well told.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what TWs campaign will look like, but one thing I'm sure of, it won't be like all the other American super solider em-ups we've all got so bored of.

Upvote 0