• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Campaign Mode: Do it right this time :)

Raven1986

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2014
Hello friends,

Red Orchestra 2's campaign mode brought fresh air to the maps and for many maps it works out nicely. However some maps such as Rakowice feel a bit weird when you read "Retreat Axis!" whilst playing as Soviets on the defense. That is nitpicking to be frank.
But with Rising Storm due to its asymmetrical teams and weapon loadouts the campaign mode proved to be a bad idea here. It felt strange to assault Iwo Jima from the beaches and not pushing the Americans back to the beaches instead.
Particularly with the Vietnam feature it will feel weird to assault US Army posts defended by NVA or Vietcong.

Playing maps in reverse is highly appreciated. This way maps feel immersive and still can be played with attackers and defenders switched.

Hello friends,

Red Orchestra 2's campaign mode brought fresh air to the maps and for many maps it works out nicely. However some maps such as Rakowice feel a bit weird when you read "Retreat Axis!" whilst playing as Soviets on the defense. That is nitpicking to be frank.
But with Rising Storm due to its asymmetrical teams and weapon loadouts the campaign mode proved to be a bad idea here. It felt strange to assault Iwo Jima from the beaches and not pushing the Americans back to the beaches instead.
Particularly with the Vietnam feature it will feel weird to assault US Army posts defended by NVA or Vietcong.

Playing maps in reverse is highly appreciated. This way maps feel immersive and still can be played with attackers and defenders switched.
Antimatter Games have not so much man power to realise Campaign in Rising Storm 2, nice if there will be multiplayer done at least, not even singleplayer.

Upvote 0
Antimatter Games have not so much man power to realise Campaign in Rising Storm 2, nice if there will be multiplayer done at least, not even singleplayer.

I thought they are basically doing Rising Storm with 64-bit set in Vietnam, so the code should be there. Needs a little modification for reverse playing but the main stay is already there, no?

Upvote 0
Campaign has to be in. It is what keeps RS and RO alive. It makes the games so much more intense and encourages treamplay as you go to victory and defeat with your team. I would highly recommend to put resources on this card. For me this could be different loadouts for the reverse palyed matches
-make adjustmentes for reinforcements able
-and for asymetrical classes (flamer/mortar)
- different fixed mgs
- maybe some timeline for example weapons that were only avaible later are only avaible late , so simulating a ongoing conflict ( timeline )
- find a way to stop teamswitching when maps change
- find ways to counter small player differences in teamgames e.g. new map and some player leave, don

Upvote 0
Campaign really set RO2/RS apart from most other games and could be both expanded and refined moving forward.

Campaign could be split into two modes to suit server admins, a full campaign mode, like it is now and a "Battle" mode where you fight over a specific sector, once all the maps in that sector are captured, teams are reshuffled and a new sector in the rotation begins. This would be shorter and could suit some people better.

Add in more options for a commander to choose from at the start of a map. Number of tickets, cooldown for arty, faster respawns, things like that. So, if you were on the losing side, and the enemy picks a map that is tough for you, you could expend less assets and save them for one big push on the next. Take advantage of the enemies complacency as they would also have to choose what assets to risk. You could make it a toggleable choice (low/regular/high)

Add in random asset loss or additions to simulate the variance in supply. "Commander, bad weather has caused a loss in reinforcements!"

Longer ready up before a map with a visible overlay that the TL could draw or mark points on to set up strategy.

These would obviously make a competent TL essential and hurt a team without one. Is this a good thing? I think so, basically since it introduces more variety into how a map can play out. I find it tedious that in campaign, that the end result in many maps is almost a given. The winning team from the previous match usually only has to not screw up to win again. There's little risk and teams choose the safest route. I'd like to see teams forced to take risks on each map, to find themselves unexpectedly up against tough odds, or in a superior position occasionally.

Upvote 0
These would obviously make a competent TL essential and hurt a team without one. Is this a good thing? I think so, basically since it introduces more variety into how a map can play out. I find it tedious that in campaign, that the end result in many maps is almost a given. The winning team from the previous match usually only has to not screw up to win again. There's little risk and teams choose the safest route. I'd like to see teams forced to take risks on each map, to find themselves unexpectedly up against tough odds, or in a superior position occasionally.

I'd rather not see more responsibility given to TL's and SL's than the present. It is often enough that players take the leadership roles without a clue of what to do or the grave consequences of their relatively innocent mistake. Perhaps there can be a pre-map vote for people who are asking to be TL so the rest of the players can weed out the newbies. While there is nothing wrong with being new, as we all were once, a player using artillery on your own spawn, or not using artillery at all is not something teams should have to repeatedly suffer through.

One tactic that I see a lot on Rising Storm is always defending, which is very effective. It forces the enemy to attack, which makes their potential loss of reinforcements 75 instead of your 25 every map. Before long, they will have no more reinforcements and it makes for a boring campaign. There are probably many possible types of mitigation for this behavior like forcing the winning team to attack, or simply making constant defending undesirable in some way. I just wanted to make TWI aware, and I'll leave that up to them to decide how to remedy.

Upvote 0
Campaign has to be in. It is what keeps RS and RO alive. It makes the games so much more intense and encourages treamplay as you go to victory and defeat with your team. I would highly recommend to put resources on this card. For me this could be different loadouts for the reverse palyed matches
-make adjustmentes for reinforcements able
-and for asymetrical classes (flamer/mortar)
- different fixed mgs
- maybe some timeline for example weapons that were only avaible later are only avaible late , so simulating a ongoing conflict ( timeline )
- find a way to stop teamswitching when maps change
- find ways to counter small player differences in teamgames e.g. new map and some player leave, don

Upvote 0