• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Camo uniform for german soldiers (in stalingrad)?

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
Just found this pic and would like to know more about the german camo uniform.

As the pic says it is from 1942 in stalingrad.
Were this uniforms issued to every soldier and can we expect to see them in the game, too?

Near_Stalingrad.jpg

Reactions: LemoN
Upvote 0
The only camo that would have been used would be their zelts which they would use during a rainstorm and maybe a helmet cover or two. During the winter in Stalingrad most heer soldiers would only have the M-36 or M-40 overcoats and maybe (if they were lucky) mouse grey-white reversible parkas. I'm not exactly sure when the splinter camo parka came out but I reasonably doubt the under equipped men of the 6th army would have the mouse grey parkas much less the splinter camo ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only camo that would have been used would be their zelts which they would use during a rainstorm and maybe a helmet cover or two. During the winter in Stalingrad most heer soldiers would only have the M-36 or M-40 overcoats and maybe (if they were lucky) mouse grey-white reversible parkas. I'm not exactly sure when the splinter camo parka came out but I reasonably doubt the under equipped men of the 6th army would have the mouse grey parkas much less the splinter camo ones.

"Buntfarbenaufdruck – Splinter pattern

Introduction:

Known by most collectors and authors as splinter pattern or as the Germans called it Buntfarbenaufdruck.

That pattern was the first camo pattern used by the German Army as basic camo for Zeltbahn – triangle
shelters in the year 1932. My personal opinion is that the Germans were inspired by the italian telo
mimetico camo pattern. There is a similarity in both pattern which I will show in the picture section of
this text.
The Zeltbahn printed in the Buntfarbenaufdruck was issued not only to the German Reichsheer
( Territorial Defence ), also to the Reichsmarine ( Territorial Navy ) and the Luftwaffe ( Airforce ).
In the year 1935 when the Reichsheer changed their name into Wehrmacht ( Defence Force ) the
Buntfarbenaufdruck was now called Heeressplittermuster 31 ( Army Splinter pattern 31 ). This pattern
was in use by the Germans till the end of the war in the year 1945. First only used for the Zeltbahn
( shelter quarter ) later in the war the pattern was also used on other fabrics to make reversible
padded winter parkas and trousers, reversible padded mittens, smocks and helmet covers. Also there
existed different items like field tailored tunics, trousers, caps and haversacks made of Zeltbahn fabric.

Identifying:

Typical for the Buntfarbenaufdruck are polygons in brown and green printed on a light field grey or tan

basic colouration as background. At last a pattern of green dashes ( raindrop design ) was
overprinted to improve the camouflage effect. The pattern was roller-applied, and the repeat was
every 44 cm, but there also exists Zeltbahn with a repeat up to 62 cm. The standard design was printed
with more green tones on one side (summer) of the fabric, and in more brown tones (autumn) on the other.

Luftwaffe splinter pattern.

In the year 1941 the German Luftwaffe ( Airforce ) developed their own splinter pattern which is called

by collectors and authors as splinter B. First used for paratroopers smocks, in 1942 also a field jacket
for the Luftwaffe ground troops was also introduced in the same pattern. That pattern was later also used
for paratrooper helmet covers, grenade – and ammunition pouches. It was not used for Zeltbahns.
The difference to the Heeressplittermuster 31 was a slightly smaller version of the design.

Pictures:

Similarity in the pattern between italian Telo Mimetico and Buntfarbenaufdruck.
"
Telo_and_Splinter__-_horizontal_30.jpg

SOURCE

Last edited:
Upvote 0