• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Call of Duty 5

I had the glorious opportunity to play the SP from the german 360 version of CoD:WaW for about an hour (longest hour in my life) and i was very happy that i resisted the urge to buy this CoD francise.
The first 10 minutes i was kind of entertained the weapon damage was okay (for an arcade shooter) and the general pace of the game seems way slower than the beta MP but then started the old "let

Last edited:
Upvote 0
**** I just started the SP campaign and I don't know what to say.

First mission was kinda lame I thought which however was also caused by the fact that my sound settings were kinda awkward and I hardly heard any firing. When I fixed that it became much better.

Now then came the 2nd mission. Just WOW. One of the best presentations I've ever seen. You basically start in a landing boat and are driving toward some beach thats under heavy fire, kinda like a japanese omaha beach(don't know where the mission is atm). Before you land one of your comrades is hit right in the head and you can really see the damn wound with half of the goddamn brain. After you're hit by some artillery round and thrown out(you nearly drown but you get pulled out and in the meantime see someone else dead sinking onto the ground). So then you're lieing behind some sand and have to call in an artillery(fired from the ships i guess) barrage followed by a really heavy explosion.

So you then kinda like storm up that position which was bombed few seconds before and that was pretty much the most 'moving' moment so far. Pretty much all of the trees or other stuff there was was gone or nothing left and holes in the ground and japanese soldiers with cut off legs crawling on the ground till they finally died.

Seriously I think this is the most brutal(talking about realistic gore) game I've ever played, it's not like in BiA where you shoot off heads(at least that didnt happen to me yet) but the kinda immerson and presentation with is just kinda so realistic that it's more brutal than any other game I know.

If the game can keep up this level through the SP then it's totally what I expected and in other words -> Awesome.

Can't say anything about the MP yet however as I didn't try it yet and probably won't until I'm finished with some other games.

Upvote 0
As we all know SP is one thing..all fine and dandy. Plenty of drama!

On the MP side of it, the one that'll live on a while..well it all depends on what you find important.

I've been playing the MP for some time now and it's always the same old crap.
Run and gun, absolutely no strategy to it all. Spawns are just ridiculous, Ranks are crap, Unlocks are just silly, no class restrictions at all. How many times have I seen Japanese Troops attacking with German or Russian weapons (nobody uses the rifles in mp?)? An utter joke in soooooo many respects.
If MP spawns were cleaned up, maps were made bigger, if the game was slowed down, If the hitboxes weren't garbage, and weapons designated to each function were made, then this games MP would be good. Until then then it's needs some help.

How long exactly were they working on this?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
**** I just started the SP campaign and I don't know what to say.

First mission was kinda lame I thought which however was also caused by the fact that my sound settings were kinda awkward and I hardly heard any firing. When I fixed that it became much better.

Now then came the 2nd mission. Just WOW. One of the best presentations I've ever seen. You basically start in a landing boat and are driving toward some beach thats under heavy fire, kinda like a japanese omaha beach(don't know where the mission is atm). Before you land one of your comrades is hit right in the head and you can really see the damn wound with half of the goddamn brain. After you're hit by some artillery round and thrown out(you nearly drown but you get pulled out and in the meantime see someone else dead sinking onto the ground). So then you're lieing behind some sand and have to call in an artillery(fired from the ships i guess) barrage followed by a really heavy explosion.

So you then kinda like storm up that position which was bombed few seconds before and that was pretty much the most 'moving' moment so far. Pretty much all of the trees or other stuff there was was gone or nothing left and holes in the ground and japanese soldiers with cut off legs crawling on the ground till they finally died.

Seriously I think this is the most brutal(talking about realistic gore) game I've ever played, it's not like in BiA where you shoot off heads(at least that didnt happen to me yet) but the kinda immerson and presentation with is just kinda so realistic that it's more brutal than any other game I know.

If the game can keep up this level through the SP then it's totally what I expected and in other words -> Awesome.

Can't say anything about the MP yet however as I didn't try it yet and probably won't until I'm finished with some other games.

yep, scripting is awesome.. :rolleyes:

In my case, I rapidly become disillusioned with anything like that, because I know that the other millions gamers out there with the game have experienced exactly the same thing. What is really awesome, in my opinion, is when something happens purely as a result of events you influenced, whether directly or indirectly.... and if it then proceeds to explode. :p

Upvote 0
Ever heard of presentation? Any good SP game has scripting for the sake of immerson. And CoD5 does this very good. Also it's CoD, if you seriously expected an open-ended world game than you're a bit confused obviously. So if it's your opinion fine but spare your arrogant :rolleyes:. Call of Duty 4 wouldn't have been half as epic if there for example hadn't been the nuke explosion or the heavily scriped chernobyl part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In my case, I rapidly become disillusioned with anything like that, because I know that the other millions gamers out there with the game have experienced exactly the same thing. What is really awesome, in my opinion, is when something happens purely as a result of events you influenced, whether directly or indirectly.... and if it then proceeds to explode. :p

Do you enjoy watching movies or do you scoff at them and say "Everyone ELSE is seeing the same thing I am, preposterous!"

It's entertainment, it's storytelling. Just because Call of Duty's single player doesn't play out like Hearts of Iron combined with Spore doesn't make its method of entertainment into some childish attempt. It's Call of Duty. This is what it's always done.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from this forum though...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
shot0005on0.jpg

shot0023tq9.jpg

shot0019nw6.jpg

Yes, it's totally a game for ten year olds.

Upvote 0
Ever heard of presentation? Any good SP game has scripting for the sake of immerson. And CoD5 does this very good. Also it's CoD, if you seriously expected an open-ended world game than you're a bit confused obviously. So if it's your opinion fine but spare your arrogant :rolleyes:. Call of Duty 4 wouldn't have been half as epic if there for example hadn't been the nuke explosion or the heavily scriped chernobyl part.

Woah, hold your horses cowboy.

Did I say I thought COD would be "an opened-ended world game"? No. I love it how you make-up things to give your posts more substance. A rather vain technique, isn't it?

Also, these are forums, people voice their opinions (within certain restraints) but if you just want a thread full of 'COD awesomeness' then tough titty matey.

Oh and presentation is all fine and dandy but if it reaches the point where once you've finished the SP Campaign of one COD and 10 mins of the multiplayer you've seen everything ever done in the series and everything that will be done in the series then something is wrong. ('cept for graphics, which are important but as we all know, gameplay>graphics!)

Hell, some day I might give the game a shot on a mate's PS3 and be awed by the pwetty explosions and gore and tell you that I've renounced my opinion and fully embraced yours. But until then I stand by what I said.

Jono

Edit: In hindsight, it might have been rather foolish posting this, because it won't gain anything and Drakon is bound to snap back, and then we'll just claw it out for the next 6 pages until one of us gets an infraction..*sigh* Well, an opinion is an opinion I suppose, and it is on topic..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scripting itself is not too bad thing, but if it is combined with illogical and literally ****ed up gameplay, then it's another story.

I don't know about CoD5, but CoDUO, CoD2 and CoD4 all had those damm respawning enemies and if you even killed one random sniper\MG gunner just to make a route easier to advance, it took 1-2 seconds and another MG gunner was in. If you killed it 632062390523 times, still another one came. Unless you got within 10 ft and the respawning stopped. Eventually - especially in CoD2 this resulted to the moment that it was just easier to do one man human waves (since AI soldiers often were like "Oh hi you go and kill the enemies we'll follow you soon and even then we are too scared to do anything so you might aswell as fight the third reich alone. Cya") than even considering to drop out random enemies and figuring out even some kind of route how to advance. By the time I started playing the US campaign I gave up and deleted the game. It got just so damm annoying.

And I don't know if I had faulty product or something, but with CoD4 it was exactly the same. Sure it was visually quite impressive and such, but the "empty corridor respawning 25 divisions and 60 armies every 10 seconds before you go in there and actually check out the place to find it being sealed" problem was even worse. I managed to play through the first few missions and then I gave up and deleted it.

So if CoD5 continues the same bull****, I won't hold it in high regard. What is so damm hard to make gameplay logical... like in CoD1? No respawning enemies or ****, and it was still quite challenging and decent - well atleast on the hardest difficulty. Especially if you put a mod or two in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know about CoD5
That is exactly it. Nobody of you(I don't know but looking at your posts it's rather obvious) played it, you have no idea. Just your clichee-thinking. That's why I want to more or less inform about the game but as seen multiple times already someone who actually likes the game is immediately a moron and has no clue of gaming whatsoever. Of course.

Jono said:
I love it how you make-up things to give your posts more substance. A rather vain technique, isn't it?
Yes, especcially in hindsight that you started 'bashing' my opinion with your 'Yes, scripting is awesome :rolleyes:'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is exactly it. Nobody of you(I don't know but looking at your posts it's rather obvious) played it, you have no idea. Just your clichee-thinking. That's why I want to more or less inform about the game but as seen multiple times already someone who actually likes the game is immediately a moron and has no clue of gaming whatsoever. Of course.

You do have a point indeed, but we're facing one major problem: Reputation of the CoD franchise in the first place. So far I have not directly judged CoD5 being crappy or such (someone else might have), but considering all MP videos I've seen and information I've heard, it doesn't sound exactly promising. Yet, it still does not rule out the fact it might be decent in a way or another. Or maybe it still is as crappy as some other CoDs were in terms of single player and logics of gameplay. CoDUO and CoD2 ended up being games where enemies respawned faster than you could shoot them and the later one relied on one man human waves to actually complete the missions. If you tried something more logical approach, you'd just ended up shooting two battalions of germans who came out from the closet... until you actually searched it and find that the closet's empty and smaller than a ammunition pouch. And CoD4 had the same problem, at some point it was even worse than in CoD2 and CoDUO combined.

So it quite logical why some people have negative impression about the series, isn't it?

Upvote 0