• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullet Penetration

rukqoa

Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2011
How exactly does it work?
Few questions I have:
1. What do bullets go through?
2. Does (and by how much) bullet damage get decreased when they go through X? (Where X is the material the bullet is penetrating)
3. Does the angle at which you shoot into X affect bullet penetration?

All bullets will go through thin walls, like the walls in Barracks and the Propaganda House in apartments. You wont be able to shoot through brick walls, and I believe that if you shoot the frame on a window it will got through. Shooting the outside walls of buildings will not penetrate, and you can't shoot through sandbags either. Thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Upvote 0
All bullets will go through thin walls, like the walls in Barracks and the Propaganda House in apartments. You wont be able to shoot through brick walls, and I believe that if you shoot the frame on a window it will got through. Shooting the outside walls of buildings will not penetrate, and you can't shoot through sandbags either. Thats about the extent of my knowledge.

The part about external walls is not true. There do seem to be SOME external walls that are not penetrable but the mg will penetrate the vast majority of external walls in the game. Rifle will penetrate some as well.

I think it works well as it is except that there is a little bit of inconsistency from map to map between what can be penetrated and what can't.

Upvote 0
I spectated someone getting shot through an @18" thick stone wall today. A single shot. Even had the bullet hole. I was in shock. Is that a wall hack, or is there something VERRRY wrong with bullet penetration?

It wasn't an AT rifle was it? Having said that, you'd be surprised just how much power high velocity rifles have. Most games and movies and so on do not show anything even close to real penetration, because no one would believe it.

20 years ago, there was a mass shooting in NZ where the killer used an AK. The police wanted to show why the AK was so dangerous and had to be banned (remember there are hunting rifles that make the AK look like a pea shooter), so they set up a demonstration and shot through a steel reinforced concrete cinder block wall. One round would shatter the front surface of the brick, the next would shatter the back and turn it into a hole. The re-bar was unharmed, but the concrete around it was shattered and falling away.

Most of the rifles in this game are much more powerful than an AK.

In RO2, most of the places you see as cover are actually no more than concealment in the real world. So in this game too, penetration has been dialled down.

An MG 34 firing 1200+ rounds per minute, would cut through most of the walls in this game as if they weren't even there. Even if the first round didn't penetrate, the combined effects of 20 high velocity impacts per second will do that to just about any wall. It's basically like having a long range jackhammer.

That's why bunkers are specially made and have metre thick walls.

Still, an 18" thick stone wall (or even concrete) does sound unrealistic. Do you have any idea what weapon it was? Also, are you sure the bullet came through the wall and hit him, rather than through him and hit the wall? Could the shot have come from the other direction?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wasn't an AT rifle was it? Having said that, you'd be surprised just how much power high velocity rifles have. Most games and movies and so on do not show anything even close to real penetration, because no one would believe it.

20 years ago, there was a mass shooting in NZ where the killer used an AK. The police wanted to show why the AK was so dangerous and had to be banned (remember there are hunting rifles that make the AK look like a pea shooter), so they set up a demonstration and shot through a steel reinforced concrete cinder block wall. One round would shatter the front surface of the brick, the next would shatter the back and turn it into a hole. The re-bar was unharmed, but the concrete around it was shattered and falling away.

Most of the rifles in this game are much more powerful than an AK.

In RO2, most of the places you see as cover are actually no more than concealment in the real world. So in this game too, penetration has been dialled down.

An MG 34 firing 1200+ rounds per minute, would cut through most of the walls in this game as if they weren't even there. Even if the first round didn't penetrate, the combined effects of 20 high velocity impacts per second will do that to just about any wall. It's basically like having a long range jackhammer.

That's why bunkers are specially made and have metre thick walls.

Still, an 18" thick stone wall (or even concrete) does sound unrealistic. Do you have any idea what weapon it was? Also, are you sure the bullet came through the wall and hit him, rather than through him and hit the wall? Could the shot have come from the other direction?

Could also have been a heavy mg perhaps? But yeah AT rifle also.

Upvote 0
Depends on the wall.

Most of the Pistol caliber bullets will not penetrate anything other than the fences (say in Spartanovka) while Rifles can go through some walls as well, and even sometimes brick walls.

Damage is reduced depending on the penetration - which may arguably be percieved as being realistic. If a bullet yaws while penetrating through a barrier and comes out sideways it will deal MORE damage since the wound channel will now be entirely a factor of the length of the bullet as opposed to the diameter. But in other scenarios, say where a 9mm penetrates a wall and then hits a person and only penetrates a few cm of tissue - tissue damage of course would be less.

So in the game they decided to stick to less damage through barriers instead of more, although as said above both degrees can happen in real life. You can also penetrate through people in the game, which is very realistic - a high-powered 7.62mm FMJ round for example will not dump all of it's energy in a single person, and may penetrate up to 60cm of "ballistics gelatin" while a person may be only 20-25cm wide. This is of course noticably less than a 9mm FMJ round which may only penetrate 45cm of gelatin (full penetration of one person but possibly may not exit the second.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can also penetrate through people in the game, which is very realistic.

Holy cow, you just reminded me of my biggest in-game "Woot!" moment yet. I was using the DP-28 and managed to get set up across a small field from two enemies running straight at me - I think this was on station near that front building the Germans first have to cap. They were almost inline with each other so I wanted to see if I could get a one shot, two kill... and I did, but somehow I managed to get two headshots with the one bullet at 35m with the DP-28.

Colour me chuffed :)

I was so busy congratulating myself, I never noticed the bayonet slip between my ribs...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy cow, you just reminded me of my biggest in-game "Woot!" moment yet. I was using the DP-28 and managed to get set up across a small field from two enemies running straight at me. They were almost inline with each other so I wanted to see if I could get a one shot, two kill... and I did, but somehow I managed to get two headshots with the one bullet at 35m with the DP-28.

Colour me chuffed :)

Reminds me of once during patch testing on ww2ol they decided to test how much energy the rifle bullets were losing upon hitting a person. Turned out if you lined up a bunch of players back to back on average a point blank rifle shot would kill 6.5 of them lol.

Upvote 0
Just speculation but I think the penetration settings are painted onto the individual polygons during map design.
Eg. some walls are only penetrable from one side because they forgot to do both sides.
Angle and depth don't seem to matter, a wall that can't be penetrated won't be penetrated if you shoot through a 5mm corner cross-section.
Shots seem to lose velocity though, on the tank map a tank was trying to hit me behind a brick wall and the shell would penetrate then drop out of the sky.

Upvote 0
Reminds me of once during patch testing on ww2ol they decided to test how much energy the rifle bullets were losing upon hitting a person. Turned out if you lined up a bunch of players back to back on average a point blank rifle shot would kill 6.5 of them lol.

Heh. See, I think too many people spend too much time focusing on the few things that disappoint them, and not enough time remembering all the awesome stuff that is in this game.

One ****ty round taints a whole days worth of play, because it's human nature to remember the bad stuff better than the good stuff.

RO2 may not be a perfect game, but I challenge anyone to find an FPS that is as good for ALL players. You CAN run and gun but you CAN camp and snipe. If you are good at your particular style, you CAN make it work. It's just a matter of remembering that probably NO game has ALL the things you want to see, but this one has more of them than just about any other FPS game out there, if not all of them.

It's different, yes, but that doesn't make it bad.

Upvote 0