• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullet Penetration

from sources i knot that the 7,92*57 mm mauser can penetrate 310mm of wood form 50 m and 130mm of brick so i think ingame the bulletpenetrations in the game or atleast the full size rifle bullet is not enaught, and we are not talking abaut the PTRS what has hot a f*cking huge 14,5*107 bullet what would simply explode the brick wals out of the way

Upvote 0
from sources i knot that the 7,92*57 mm mauser can penetrate 310mm of wood form 50 m and 130mm of brick so i think ingame the bulletpenetrations in the game or atleast the full size rifle bullet is not enaught, and we are not talking abaut the PTRS what has hot a f*cking huge 14,5*107 bullet what would simply explode the brick wals out of the way

To be fair to TWI, the reason destruction (and pentration) is being toned down in most games is because totally realistic penetration would require a whole set of new game mechanics to balance out. In a game where the only cover you can find was put there by the map designer, and you can't do anything to clear it away or reinforce it, realistic penetration makes killing too easy and unrealistic.

In the real world, if you are caught in the open and an MG opens up, you will start digging with your bare hands to try and MAKE some cover, if you have to. Realistic penetration and destruction will only really work in games once we are able to dig our own foxholes or shell scrapes. Then we can make cover wherever we need it, and can be a little less obvious about our location than using the cover that everyone knows is there.

Just for those who don't know, a foxhole is a single or double man trench. It's meant to be not much bigger than the guys in it, so that it is a lot harder to get a mortar or grenade to land in it. It will be deep enough so that the soldier can stand in it and fire at the enemy, but can hunker down to get away from shrapnel.

A shell scrape is a hasty defensive fortification that simply allows the soldier to go prone below the surface level of the ground. It will be no more than 50cm deep, and the soldier can fire from it in the prone position. You make one every time you stop for any length of time. That's your defence against artillery. It would also add another level of realism, considering the average soldier spends more time digging than fighting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wasn't an AT rifle was it? Having said that, you'd be surprised just how much power high velocity rifles have. Most games and movies and so on do not show anything even close to real penetration, because no one would believe it.

20 years ago, there was a mass shooting in NZ where the killer used an AK. The police wanted to show why the AK was so dangerous and had to be banned (remember there are hunting rifles that make the AK look like a pea shooter), so they set up a demonstration and shot through a steel reinforced concrete cinder block wall. One round would shatter the front surface of the brick, the next would shatter the back and turn it into a hole. The re-bar was unharmed, but the concrete around it was shattered and falling away.

Most of the rifles in this game are much more powerful than an AK.

In RO2, most of the places you see as cover are actually no more than concealment in the real world. So in this game too, penetration has been dialled down.

An MG 34 firing 1200+ rounds per minute, would cut through most of the walls in this game as if they weren't even there. Even if the first round didn't penetrate, the combined effects of 20 high velocity impacts per second will do that to just about any wall. It's basically like having a long range jackhammer.

That's why bunkers are specially made and have metre thick walls.

Still, an 18" thick stone wall (or even concrete) does sound unrealistic. Do you have any idea what weapon it was? Also, are you sure the bullet came through the wall and hit him, rather than through him and hit the wall? Could the shot have come from the other direction?

It was a rifle bullet (didn't catch which one). Came from the enemy side, through the wall and into the guy. Using that as an indication, it should shoot through brick and kill with no problem, that seldom seems to happen in game.

Upvote 0
It was a rifle bullet (didn't catch which one). Came from the enemy side, through the wall and into the guy. Using that as an indication, it should shoot through brick and kill with no problem, that seldom seems to happen in game.

Then that is definitely a bug. TWI wouldn't knowingly do that, and I'm sure they'll fix it as soon as they can. I doubt even the AT guns would go through an 18" thick stone wall. Hell, a 75mm tank gun would struggle, I think.

You did say eighteen inches, right? A foot and a half thick? That can't be right. Has to be a bug.

Upvote 0
Then that is definitely a bug. TWI wouldn't knowingly do that, and I'm sure they'll fix it as soon as they can. I doubt even the AT guns would go through an 18" thick stone wall. Hell, a 75mm tank gun would struggle, I think.

You did say eighteen inches, right? A foot and a half thick? That can't be right. Has to be a bug.

I think at rifle and tank shell would

Upvote 0
An MG 34 firing 1200+ rounds per minute, would cut through most of the walls in this game as if they weren't even there. Even if the first round didn't penetrate, the combined effects of 20 high velocity impacts per second will do that to just about any wall. It's basically like having a long range jackhammer.
You mean the MG42 don't you?

Upvote 0