• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Building lights in area

mikkou

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2014
Phew, haven't been here in a while.

Anyway, my map is taking forever to build lights atm, so I want to use the "build in an area" function. However, I couldn't find a way of selecting everything at once on a specific area (lets say inside builder brush for example, which worked on kf1 editor). Selecting everything manually takes too long usually.

Also any idea why my maps stop previewing lights after a while? Some limitation? To be more specific static meshes stay mostly black until I rebuild lights, while normally they should show lighting preview? Makes it all the more annoying combined with the fact rebuilding lights takes ages even when changing build quality.

Phew, haven't been here in a while.

Anyway, my map is taking forever to build lights atm, so I want to use the "build in an area" function. However, I couldn't find a way of selecting everything at once on a specific area (lets say inside builder brush for example, which worked on kf1 editor). Selecting everything manually takes too long usually.

Also any idea why my maps stop previewing lights after a while? Some limitation? To be more specific static meshes stay mostly black until I rebuild lights, while normally they should show lighting preview? Makes it all the more annoying combined with the fact rebuilding lights takes ages even when changing build quality.
Its hard to give a reason why lights are taking so long without actually seeing the map or screenshots. You can PM me the map and I can look at it for you if you want.

To my knowledge building a specific area doesn't work and its just to rebuild all lighting from scratch.

Naturally lighting increases with the size of the map and amount of assets and how weak your machine is - 31k actors had a built time of around 25-30mins depending on machine, reducing it to around 13-20 gets around 5min build time. And less than 10k can get like 30s to 2mins. This is rough estimation based on personal experience.

To select everything in an area, go to wireframe view mode, put yourself in top or side orthographic mode and Ctrl+Alt does box select if you didnt know. Generally I try not to select everything as it does take a long time.

ALSO there is an annoying issue with long selecting where if you select a lot of actors and try to select a group of more actors, it will do the thing where it flashes a window saying deselecting actors a million times. To Avoid this, ALWAYS make sure you deselect all actors before selecting another large group of them.

The best method for selecting stuff however is to try and put everything for a specific area in a Layer. Layers are so freaking useful for all sort of things (lighting, precomputed visbility volumes, general blocking volumes, rain meshes, etc anything you can think off that you may want to toggle).

Some of the issues you describe (lights disappearing) could be anything really, ranging from needing a fresh set of configs, to just them being in the wrong lighting volume to just an old machine running the sdk.

If some meshes are black it sometimes means that the mesh is inside something - probably a builder brush. Generally you shouldn't have any brushes in your map. You can delete them all by going to the Scene tab in the Content Browser and selecting all the actors named "Brush_" and deleting them. Once you have rebuild geometry and than try building lights again.

You can reset the configs by deleting your My Documents > My Games > KillingFloor2 folder. Just make sure to move any projects you're working on to the desktop. Dont worry about saving workshop items in the cache - they are stored in the Steam Folder and be repopulated again automatically when you relaunch the game.

Upvote 0