Brush Help

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

ButterBiscuit

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 25, 2009
over there.
I have no idea how it started, but recently my brush has been rotating very smoothly...it's annoying. How can i make it go back to snapping when rotating because as of now, its very difficult to align things perfectly.

FifthHorseman

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 15, 2009
Look at the bottom of the SDK window and you'll see a circular icon divided into several parts. This allows you to rotate in set increments, or "snap" if you wanna call it that.

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
This one is the map killer. Grid snap got turned off on me and I didn't realize what had happened until 2 days later....and the UED started crashing after bulids because of misaligned brushes.

KiCk3R

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2009
Shropshire UK
I think this is a urban legend of the UED.

I have over 400 brushes in my map, all NOT snapped to grid.
Alot of them are complex, and my UED has yet to crash out.

The BSP builds without fault, and ive had no BSP holes to date.

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
If you painstakingly took the time to rotate brushes to be perfectly square, then sure you won't get holes or errors. If you didn't though, and one slightly off brush runs up against another slightly off-brush, it happens. Grid snap makes life easier, especially for UED novices.

Considering every tutorial I've read on UED mentions grid snap and possible problems that can come from turning it off, and my own personal experiences....urban legend it ain't. I think I was at about 600 brushes in my map when the errors started occurring.

Last edited:

Murphy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
BSP problems occur for a variety of reasons but going off the grid isn't one of them!

The advice to stay on the grid (or even staying on a grid no smaller than 16 units!) is just usually given to newbies because staying on the grid helps avoiding the real reasons.

Rotating, with or without snapping to certain angles, is always fishy business if you use the rotated brushes for something afterwards (e.g. cut holes into them), but rotating alone is also not a cause for BSP errors!

I wrote a tutorial a while ago that explains some ways bsp errors can come to be. Unfortunately I don't think it is 100% complete but it covers the common causes.
Take a look at it here:
http://liandri.darkbb.com/unrealengine-2-f11/bsp-holes-t33.htm