• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Brink

I can really see this games potential, but I feel they really did miss it.

The parkour system needs work, sometimes you find yourself jumping over things you intended to run around, and the extra time taken gets you killed. Not to mention most maps really dont give lots of room to use that system. It's like RO2 adding a cover system, then only putting spots you can use it in places where you never would use it. Idea - check, implementation ... *ahem... what smells like sh@T*?

Then there's the weapons, the really arcady things that really do make more bark than bite. Loud and obnoxious, but for the most part harmless. This game suffers from what I call the retarded factor. Dumbing weapons down till they are inacurate & do barely enough damage to kill basically means the game becomes more about numbers than tactics. You can flank the enemy and shoot them from behind, but where as one flanker can kill 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 people in HOS you'r not likely to get more than one or two or three in Brink.

I can see why people dropped the game, as it reminds me somewhat of AMD's recent bulldozer. On paper it had bi-winning written all over it, where as in implementation it had charlie sheen written all over it....

Upvote 0
i think the freerunning is ok tbh -it seems to work for me in a logical manner.
The guns seem weak at times but i guess this is in part because of the health and armour boosts that some players recieve - which combined with the damage upgrades as well make for a very inconsistent experience with weapons.

On the whole its a good game thou, but frustrating cos it's almost the best action shooter out there.
However ETQW is better imo.

Upvote 0
The parkour could use some tweaking, as when you're trying to run around a parkour-able obstacle you often end up climbing it, perhaps getting shot.

The guns do feel 90% redundant, when there's SMGs that outperform rifles, and there's a meta loadout for players.

It's disappointing when there's a "right" way to play the game, since it has so many weapons and customisations it deserves to have all guns viable.

Also the Heavy body type doesn't seem particularly useful. More health? Bigger bullet sponge.

Bigger weapons? No irons on the LMGs and you die before the secondaries get used.

Upvote 0
Yeah heavies seem a bit poop. The heavy-only weapons could do with being truly terrifying.

A big inconvenience is that you can't switch your characters - or even body type - in a game, or even from game to game whilst in a server.
I mean, they give you 9 slots so you can - i'm guessing - tailor make classes for the 4 different skills (or combination of a couple each) and also gear for attack or defense minded and map characteristics when combined with body types and weapon configurations.
So you have to join a server hoping the selection you make is appropriate for the game in hand, and indeed throughout the map rotation.
Your team might need defensive engineers, but you selected your light bodied attacking operative build say.
This is an big oversight for a class based game that touts progression and unlocks as a way of making a useful contribution for your team.

It's silly little things that let this game down, and so frustrating cos on the whole it's very enjoyable and I think many critics would agree that Brink comes close to being a really solid and fresh shooter.

Upvote 0