• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Breathing and Sights

Well, this isn't my idea, I must give due credit to the makers of Call of Duty 2 for this idea. In Call of Duty 2, the developers made a brilliant improvement many had not thought of when it came to sniper rifles and sights. They allowed the player some limited time to have their character hold its breath to steady the sights with the holding down of a key. I don't believe this was ever done before, and it was an incredible innovation. When thinking about it, it is common sense to hold ones breath when firing a single shot from a sniper rifle... I'm sure most would do it instinctively.

I understand that this could take quite a bit of time for development, but I feel this would be excellent to increase the realism of this already very realistic game. However, this may be best left to sniper rifles for practicality's sake as not many would hold their breath in the heat of battle when firing an automatic weapon. Nonetheless, controllable breathing while sighting into a scope would be a worthy modification, in my humble opinion. It seems that when RO was made, some of the best aspects of realism were kept in mind, and I do hope that the devs won't overlook this.

My bad, last time I played AA, they didn't have it, but then again, that was a while ago, they're always adding on to that game.

And sorry if this topic had already been started, I didn't find one like this when I looked.

I do agree, if you can rest the sniper, breathing offset is not even noticeable, but perhaps that would mean they should increase the breathing effect when the gun is rested on something?

Upvote 0
Tak said:
Infiltration (previously Serpentine) had this before AA was a tickle in the government's pants :p

Seriously though, it's a good idea. Not sure how much it has been mentioned before but I had to put a shout out to INF :)

Nope, the INF and Serpentine teams are in no way related, infact they both popped up for Unreal at about the same time (though Serp did come first).

But i must confess, i never did like INF's breathing system, maybe its just that it was a bit clunky (UT engine limitation i belive), but whilst innovative, and not too hard to use.. i dont know, it just never grew on me, and im one of thouse realism junkies, so it should have.. it just didn't.

The problem was probably INF itself though, some great ideas in that mod, but poor exicution, they really should have waited to impliment all thouse things till they worked, as it was, it allways felt half-finished, and that bugged me to no end.. such potential! i really wanted to like it, but nothing really performed as well as my expectations and hopes.

Upvote 0