• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Boy did we have it good, where did it all go?

Breadsticks_

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2018
I've read the "State of the Game" thread, and like a number of people, I am disappointed and upset by this news. I heard people say "The game's at the end of its life-cycle, so its expected". **** NO IT ISN'T.

Originally I was excited to hear that Saber Interactive was going to help work on the game, to me it meant more hands on deck. But then I realise who they actually brought on board. These are the same people that made World War Z, admittedly it is a fun game but where are the updates? It has only received one major update where you can play in Italy. This kind of thought process is coming to light with this game unfortunately.

So lets take a trip back to 2018, where memes were at a low point. But the KF2 updates were at an all time high.

2017 was a good year for updates: Tragic Kingdom, Nightmare and Krampus Lair were our seasonal maps, we also got 6 new free weapons, a new zed (Quarter Pound) and two new bosses. But the best was yet to come:

Update:WeaponsMapsZedsCharactersLimited Time EventsOther
Infinite Onslaught: Spring 2018AR2011-A1, Mac10 and Husk CannonDieSector and Power CoreRioterD.A.RD.A.R Classic Bundle + TicketsEndless Mode
Treacherous Skies: Summer 2018Doomstick, M99 AMR and Static StrikersAirship and LockdownMrs. FosterSteampunk Outfit + TicketsFirst Prestige Rank, Weapon Upgrades, E.D.A.R specimen
Monster Ball: Halloween 2018Road Redeemer, MkB.42 Rifle(H), HMTech-501 Grenade Rifle and FN FAL ACOGMonster BallMkB.42 Halloween Skin + TicketsFirst Appearance of Halloween Zed Skins, Second Prestige, Special FX feature
Season's Beatings: Christmas 2018Fire Axe, Tommy Gun, M32 Grenade Launcher and Battle AxeSanta's Workshop and Shopping SpreeBadass SantaBattle Axe Christmas Skin + TicketsThird Prestige

I think the virus can only have so much effect on the ability to work.

To clarify some of your misconception here:
  • Bringing on Saber did bring some tech resources that the KF team had lost over time (as those resources moved internally to different projects) it was not about bringing on a bigger team. It was about being able to maintain KF and keep the current cadence of updates going while internal Tripwire team members were shifted elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Eh... Yes and no my friend. I would say that the content released alongside them was indeed better, but it was also a bit too "by-the-books" in my opinion. What we're complaining about (not a whole lot of QoL improvements, nothing truly exciting/surprising anymore, perks that are either too good or too weak etc.) were already plaguing the game back in the day. But I do agree with you that at least the content we got was engaging. Sure you KNEW you'd get one or two new maps, between two and four weapons... But all (or most) of them were actually pretty wild and fun. That's not to say that what we've been getting lately was trash (I LOVED Hellmark Station ! And both some DLC and HRG weapons are pretty enjoyable), it's just more inconsistent. And might I also say : even more "expected" since we rarely, if ever, get new things to spice up the experience (new zeds, new mods, new clever and creative maps etc.)

It's just a bit too samey really. And difficult to get pumped up for whatever's next when we pretty much what's in store.

I would like however to defend Tripwire regarding two points (and everyone knows, Yoshi's more than anyone, how harsh I can be towards them)

1) It has never been said that Saber would work ALONGSIDE Tripwire. Maybe it was a misconception created by them "supporting the game", as in "they would lend a hand in updating KF2". But I personally understood it straight-up as "they'll take the lead while Tripwire will focus on newer projects (Maneater at the time, and apparently a future Killing Floor project is on its way, although they got nothing to announce as of yet). Kind of a shame yeah... And people noticed it : the weapons aren't as refined anymore, the content is a bit more modest... But Hellmark proved that they can make good maps, and while I wasn't sold on most weapons last year, they made one of my favourite : the kaboomstick ! I also find the Blunderbuss, Incendiary Rifle and Mine Reconstructor to be fun to use (although they could be tweaked).

All in all, it was expected that the game would either lower it's number of updates per year, or make them a bit less generous. I'm the first to complain about the lack of meaningful or interesting content, but hey, "better than nothing" as they say.

And I find it kinda unfair to blame World War Z... I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was the real "Left 4 Dead" spiritual successor, at least until B4B (it's pretty much a self-ripoff at that point)

2) Well, like it or not, we're probably closer to the end than the beginning by now. And it's totally fine ! Sure,I'm always a bit bummed whenever devs drop a game and then don't follow-up with it (it pretty much never happens anymore, except if the game really sold poorly), but you can't feed gamers forever. For multiple reasons. Either players want to try other/newer things... or the devs want to work on a brand new project ! It's not always about finances (although you rarely hear about a goldmine of a game being left to die), sometimes it truly is about passion. It may have been why Tripwire left the project in the hands of Saber, to keep the faithful players well-fed with the regular updates, while the team can work on something else.

Now I won't lie, I truly hope we'll get a REAL "final update". A real threat that will bring back everyone into the game, hopefully for weeks (may I dare say "months" ?) Like a huge balance change. A new perk. A proper rework of the upgrade system. A new game mod. Anything "of substance" really. That would be the best way to part ways.

I really don't want to arrive at the end of let's say 2021, have yet another update with 1 dlc and 1 HRG weapon, 1 community map and be like "well, that's the last one guys, see you in KF3"

But for now on, that's sadly what's in store for the rest of the year it seems...

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
With all due respect to those involved behind-the-scenes 'knowing' 1 map, 1 HRG weapon and 1 DLC weapon is highly probable has made for diminishing returns.
However I personally feel the Event 'challenges' have been far more egregious, I am almost certain that when Infinite Onslaught dropped you had to play Suicidal difficulty and/or get 5000 kills - by contrast the most recent update made the collectibles redundant on console* which was a tad confusing.

In short, Hellmark Station tier content (not to knock other maps) consistently would be ideal, as for expanding the arsenal I refer to another post I just made - a Tier 5 for all and then leave it at that.

*Without checking Steam I'm unaware if this was console only or not

Upvote 0
With all due respect to those involved behind-the-scenes 'knowing' 1 map, 1 HRG weapon and 1 DLC weapon is highly probable has made for diminishing returns.
However I personally feel the Event 'challenges' have been far more egregious, I am almost certain that when Infinite Onslaught dropped you had to play Suicidal difficulty and/or get 5000 kills - by contrast the most recent update made the collectibles redundant on console* which was a tad confusing.

In short, Hellmark Station tier content (not to knock other maps) consistently would be ideal, as for expanding the arsenal I refer to another post I just made - a Tier 5 for all and then leave it at that.

*Without checking Steam I'm unaware if this was console only or not
Amen to that. I'm usually someone who's very much in favor of adding content more than removing it. And I also often say that "you can't have too much content". But at that point... I believe every perk is more than stocked-up against nearly everything. It's becoming difficult to even come up with creative ideas, let alone one that doesn't feel overdone and that fits the perk.

As for T5... We're almost done ! Only the SWAT, Gunslinger and Support are missing one (and the commando, considering the Minigun is a DLC...Which is kind of a dick move btw)

But, truth be told, I don't really see what you could give them... A dual SMG for the SWAT to become even more of a bullet hose? A revolving rifle for the Gunslinger ? As for the Support... I can't even think of one. The AA12 has been there since the beginning and it's still one of the most bloody efficient weapon in the game. It does everything. What could be possibly greater than that? A megastick with eight barrels?

Upvote 0
But, truth be told, I don't really see what you could give them... A dual SMG for the SWAT to become even more of a bullet hose? A revolving rifle for the Gunslinger ? As for the Support... I can't even think of one. The AA12 has been there since the beginning and it's still one of the most bloody efficient weapon in the game. It does everything. What could be possibly greater than that? A megastick with eight barrels?
A plasma SMG (as a "heavier" option to the Nailgun) or a bullethose with a frontal energy shield (as another option to the Riot Shield) could function as Tier 5 for SWAT.

Gunslinger's .500's almost ought to be made into Tier 5s (and Deagles T4?), while the MK12's from KF1 could fit as a new Tier 3 (replacing Deagles spot).

Likewise, AA12 or maybe Doomstick could be made into Support's Tier 5 as well.

Upvote 0
A plasma SMG (as a "heavier" option to the Nailgun) or a bullethose with a frontal energy shield (as another option to the Riot Shield) could function as Tier 5 for SWAT.

Gunslinger's .500's almost ought to be made into Tier 5s (and Deagles T4?), while the MK12's from KF1 could fit as a new Tier 3 (replacing Deagles spot).

Likewise, AA12 or maybe Doomstick could be made into Support's Tier 5 as well.
"Plasma SMG" definitely reminds me of the Z.E.D. MkII from the first game, but I personally always thought of giving such weaponry to the Survivalist (or an eventual "scientist" perk). But since neither of them will happen, I suppose it could be recycled as the SWAT T5. Plus, it would actually fit the somewhat "extra flavour" that some T5 have, with its EMP effect (somewhat like the healing grenade launcher of the HMtech-501). I actually dig that idea. The frontal energy shield also makes sense, but I scratch my head as to how it would look... I'm afraid it would make the screen too cluttered, too bright or simply ugly.

As for @Sarcy 's idea, I would actually love to see either the PPSh-41 or PP Bizon in the game (I love the design of both guns !) but the problem stays the same : how would you justify such a gun to become a T5? I can't really see the PPSh-41 being better than the P90, Vector or UMP-45...

I guess it's the easiest way out regarding the Gunslinger. But the main issue I have is that I doubt people would use the lower-tiered pistols more even if we bump up the Deagle and .500... I guess people will still wait to get either 750$ or just purchase the Centerfire. So I don't think the MK12 would find its niche either way. Plus, even if we actually bring it back and excluding the Sharp's weaponry... Would the gun truly be worth getting compared to the 1911? I mean, 4 extra bullets in each mag is definitely a good thing. But other than that... What would it bring? Just like the SWAT, it's difficult to come up with a new pistol that would behave truly differently. But yeah, anyway, I don't really see what could be better than a .500 ... Besides dual-wielding AWPs or something.

Agreed on the AA-12 and Doomstick. Hell, they're pretty much T5 already. Make them more expensive and maybe slightly more powerful to compensante and we're good to go.

Upvote 0
In (my own) retrospect, KF2 had an amazing outlook in contrast to the first game. Like -- the evolved gore and animation, the skill tree, deeper melee gameplay, even dancing barley with the Scrake was oddly fun, so I was able to look past the nostalgia and embrace the new in spite of some criticism about the second game was too dissimilar being true to an extent.

The real "issue" when it comes to old versus new is that -- TWI was adding old, pre-existing things as new content, such as the Mac-10, Mkb42, and so on. As it turned out, people were not that impressed on the surface, and the outcomes of said re-iterations were underwhelming by the practical terms.

Plus their balance is - I would say - something left to be desired; for instance, it's just bananas for an old WW-2 rifle possessing competitive stats versus a modern AR that is AK-12.

It wouldn't really be an issue if TWI only misdeliver like so by a small portion of things they deliver in KF2, except...

BOOM! VERSUS MODE.

BOOM! WE AREN'T PLANNED TO MAKE NEW PERKS.

BOOM! EDARS.

BOOM! WEAPON UPGRADES.

BOOM! PAID WEAPONS.

I'm found it not helpful to bash into this so I'll stop here.

TWI as a whole didn't plan to be too attached to or invested in one single project, so it's only natural that KF2 will begin to decline at some point.

But I still gotta say TWI have been running this game as if it is 2009, meaning they think releasing a medium-sized content update every 4-6 months would suffice -- and people can't literally be more satisfied if hats/skins are added here and there.

I mean, those can be some of us ever wanted - true - but (in my experience) that's not enough to make it boom.

For a gameplay cycle as simple and short/repetitive as this, things should be practically (gameplay-wise) freshened every month or two, either by having a "hard" scrambling mechanic that alters the ruleset/environment/settings - or by adding meaningful hence lasting new addition(s).

By comparison, content in form of a new more-or-less-the-same weapon that's for a certain class is profoundly lackluster in how much impact it's gonna have on the player-base slash players' experience. Another factor in this is the game's class-based structure (namely weapons being practically exclusive to a class) also renders said effect weaker, which is further weakened by the fact that there isn't a human receiving end (PvP) that can catalyze with - due to the core gameplay being PvE.

Other things:
  • Seasonal flavor occludes the "main taste" too much.
  • New things are so underwhelming/unimpressive that they're more so like nuisances.
  • Skins feel low-effort/shitty.
  • Both the economy and the lootbox systems are fairly primitive.
  • Ditto, it affects progression.

Upvote 0
In (my own) retrospect, KF2 had an amazing outlook in contrast to the first game. Like -- the evolved gore and animation, the skill tree, deeper melee gameplay, even dancing barley with the Scrake was oddly fun, so I was able to look past the nostalgia and embrace the new in spite of some criticism about the second game was too dissimilar being true to an extent.

The real "issue" when it comes to old versus new is that -- TWI was adding old, pre-existing things as new content, such as the Mac-10, Mkb42, and so on. As it turned out, people were not that impressed on the surface, and the outcomes of said re-iterations were underwhelming by the practical terms.

Plus their balance is - I would say - something left to be desired; for instance, it's just bananas for an old WW-2 rifle possessing competitive stats versus a modern AR that is AK-12.

It wouldn't really be an issue if TWI only misdeliver like so by a small portion of things they deliver in KF2, except...

BOOM! VERSUS MODE.

BOOM! WE AREN'T PLANNED TO MAKE NEW PERKS.

BOOM! EDARS.

BOOM! WEAPON UPGRADES.

BOOM! PAID WEAPONS.

I'm found it not helpful to bash into this so I'll stop here.

TWI as a whole didn't plan to be too attached to or invested in one single project, so it's only natural that KF2 will begin to decline at some point.

But I still gotta say TWI have been running this game as if it is 2009, meaning they think releasing a medium-sized content update every 4-6 months would suffice -- and people can't literally be more satisfied if hats/skins are added here and there.

I mean, those can be some of us ever wanted - true - but (in my experience) that's not enough to make it boom.

For a gameplay cycle as simple and short/repetitive as this, things should be practically (gameplay-wise) freshened every month or two, either by having a "hard" scrambling mechanic that alters the ruleset/environment/settings - or by adding meaningful hence lasting new addition(s).

By comparison, content in form of a new more-or-less-the-same weapon that's for a certain class is profoundly lackluster in how much impact it's gonna have on the player-base slash players' experience. Another factor in this is the game's class-based structure (namely weapons being practically exclusive to a class) also renders said effect weaker, which is further weakened by the fact that there isn't a human receiving end (PvP) that can catalyze with - due to the core gameplay being PvE.

Other things:
  • Seasonal flavor occludes the "main taste" too much.
  • New things are so underwhelming/unimpressive that they're more so like nuisances.
  • Skins feel low-effort/shitty.
  • Both the economy and the lootbox systems are fairly primitive.
  • Ditto, it affects progression.
Eh... I kinda disagree on that first argument of yours. Tripwire releasing old weaponry as novelty was mostly done out of nostalgia. Just like how they brought back "classic Briar and Masterson". They weren't forced to do it... But they did anyway, because fans actually had fond memories of those guns. I personally played a lot with the MAC-10 in the first game as I used to snipe zeds and watch them burn. Now, if their stats are sub-par, that's another story...

Similarly, your take regarding MK42b and AK-12 is... legit. But even though Tripwire is well known for being gun-nuts with a very satisfying feeling in their weaponry, it is still a video game above all. Sometimes, logic has to be thrown away for the sake of enjoyment. Sure, it doesn't make sense for such an archaic piece of technology to compete with a very modern one, but then... It doesn't make sense for a blind, frail woman to destroy explosives with her screams. Let's add that KF1 was already guilty of that AND that it would apply to many, many different guns (why is the MP7 a T1 while the MP5 is a T2? The MP7 is meant to be an evolution... Why is the Boomstick better than the regular pump-shotgun? )

For the rest, it sadly follows a similar pattern...

-"Versus mode" the result was subpar, I'll give you that. But it was a very popular fan-mode in the first game ! It definitely makes sense for them to try their luck at making it official if the fans enjoyed it. The result is not so great, but I doubt it would have been possible to do much better... The franchise itself doesn't appear exactly "fit" for a versus unlike Left 4 Dead

-KF1 only got one extra perk during its lifetime : the demolitions. And mind you : it appeared very early within its update lifecycle too ! So having three extra perks before the game truly "release" was a nice touch for KF2, even if, sadly, it was more or less about "dividing existing perks in two" rather than bringing something truly novel. But I think the SWAT and Gunslinger managed to find their spot and still play quite differently from the rest. They should be kept and refined for KF3. I believe ten perks is a nice amount and I wouldn't expect the game to end up with like 25 different perks. It would be a nightmare to balance, to level up and nobody would play everything anyway.

What I can truly blame however is the survivalist perk... It really felt lazy even before release. It just didn't fee like a worthy replacement for the Martial Artist/Urban Ninja idea. It has been discussed a whole lot on these forums, and I believe it was entirely doable unlike what Tripwire said at the time (I envisioned the MA to be a polar opposite of the zerk : a real glass cannon, getting killed very easily but very nimble and able to bring the pain !). Speaking of which, remember when the zerk was the "homemade weaponry" perk instead? I thought the idea was brilliant. Hardly makes for a perk's role, but as a theme? It was very clever. I believe the MA should come back. As well as maybe a "scientist" perk in order to have another purely supportive perk alongside the medic (the scientist could have the numerous buffs the medic is able to give, thus the Field Medic would be fully focused on healing/poisoning while the scientist would be focused on buffs/debuffs as well as different tools). I believe rounding the number of perks up to 12 for KF3 would be definitely fine.

-EDARS... Okay I can't blame you for that one. But I feel like most people dislike their appearance (myself included) rather than their capabilities. I believe if they were cyborgs, people wouldn't be so harsh on them. They brought some new stuff to face of, some new challenges to master... Mostly regarding the trappers of course. Plus, it's a free EMP !

-Weapon upgrades is honestly the thing I'm the most disappointed in KF2. I said in another topic that I was wary at first that it would remove the uniqueness of each gun, but in the end it amounted to so little. Another possible thing to follow-up in KF3 actually. Not asking for CoD:Modern Warfare levels of customization, but being able to tweak your stats a little would be neato. Hell, having a unique upgrade for each gun would be insanely cool (firing a harpoon that brings the hit zed close to you, Scorpion style, for the Seal Squeal for example... Or adding explosive tips to the Compound Bow. This kind of stuff. It could replace the HRG system as a result)

-Paid weapons... Yikes. That's a sore one isn't it? Again, I'll repeat myself as I saw so, but I think it would have gone much better if they actually lowered the price. By a large margin. 5 euros for a single gun is already quite expensive, but we can always say that it's not that much about the gun and more about supporting a game you love. Oh well, you may have to spend 50 bucks to have everything, but it's the gesture that matters after all... But ten? That's ridiculous. Even more so considering some weapons are quite disappointing (but truth be told : DLCs are always awful for that => should you make the weapons very good at the risk of alienating those who can't/don't want to pay? Or make them average at the risk of angering those who do purchase them?). If at the very least we got bundles to pay a bit less for everything, that'd be cool. But no can't do. And that's truly the worse thing because after so many years of free content, I honestly wouldn't have minded if they put new content behind a paywall (everyone does it nowadays), but not at THAT price.

"TWI as a whole didn't plan to be too attached to or invested in one single project..." well, considering they've been the one helming KF2 for at least four years (and honestly five-six if we consider pre-launch), I wouldn't say so. Sure, now Saber is doing the bulk of the work, but I wouldn't say they didn't care about Killing Floor 2, far from it. I believe it's a very important franchise to them, and I'm not exactly surprised they already strongly hinted that they got more in store (but nothing worth officializing yet).

It is true that they're updating the game the "old fashioned" way. But I'll say two things regarding that statement :

1)It worked amazingly for many other games. Terraria, World of Warcraft, Age of Empires 2 and of course... Team Fortress 2. Now naturally, it wasn't as tightly scheduled. It wasn't about "releasing an update every three months" (quite often : it took YEARS for an update to drop. TF2 being an exception during its prime). Hell, it is still very common among indie games to release updates "when they are ready". And it definitely works. If it was a game you enjoyed, even 4-5 years ago, knowing something big dropped is fantastic. But it has to be a meaningful update that will keep you entertained for weeks or even months. Hence why KF2 updates often fails : once you tried the new guns and acquired the reward of the event, you won't touch the game for another three months...

2)Modern update systems are usually tied to season passes... And it brought a lot of new problems on it's own. First, you need to play A LOT in order to unlock everything. Some people simply don't have the time to play hours daily. Second, a lot of rewards are quite bad and unsatisfying. Third, a lot of items are linked to the season passes and impossible to get once the season ends. Some games managed to overcome this problem by making items available within a in-game shop... But then it's yet another matter of grinding. Some people like it, some people don't (I personally despise it : I much prefer to unlock items because I'm doing good rather than doing so by cheesing/farming). And finally : it's probably very time-consuming for devs to release new things at such a quick pace (look at Fortnite : every single week you get new stuff! That's just way too much). Not only is it time-consuming but it also destroys excitement and hype. You don't really have time to mesmerize over new stuff. You get drowned in content. That's hardly a good thing. Sure, games should reward people spending time playing with them, but it should also acknowledge that other players might be busy and playing in a more casual way. "content-creep" is a real thing.

All in all, I would actually go the opposite direction : release fewer updates (maybe only twice a year) but make them packed-full of content. Meaningful one. Because one thing we can agree with is that it's hard to get excited when you know exactly what you're going to get. Not only that, but what you're getting is often underwhelming... We also agree on skins (for the love of everything that's holy : STOP ) and the economy. The latter have always felt very strange, as if the devs didn't quite know how to finance their game. Usually, people will either put microtransactions, lootboxes or DLCs. TW did all three. And finally, I linked the events to the lack of surprise and excitement of each updates : you know that you'll get the Xmas zeds. You know that you'll get a carnival map. You know that you'll have to kill X zeds in the new map... It's rinse and repeat. And as such, you just don't feel anything special from them anymore.

Upvote 0
Eh... I kinda disagree on that first argument of yours. Tripwire releasing old weaponry as novelty was mostly done out of nostalgia. Just like how they brought back "classic Briar and Masterson". They weren't forced to do it... But they did anyway, because fans actually had fond memories of those guns. I personally played a lot with the MAC-10 in the first game as I used to snipe zeds and watch them burn. Now, if their stats are sub-par, that's another story...
There's nothing wrong with nostalgia itself, as it can add extra value to what would otherwise be plain content. However, nostalgia is subjective, which renders the objective outcome of the resources spent in "adding new content" not achieving its maximum.

We can't change the past, but (I feel) it would be far - FAR - better if said sources were spent to create new-new content versus old-new content, provided its well-designed as well as executed of course.

All in all, I would actually go the opposite direction : release fewer updates (maybe only twice a year) but make them packed-full of content. Meaningful one.
Oh yea I agree!

Upvote 0
I must be one of the few who would welcome 'loot boxes' back - granted KF2 has crates but they can only be opened with money which puts me off hoarding them. One idea I had was trading Vault dosh to acquire items, sitting on 100's of millions of Vault dosh is pretty redundant tbh.
I'm actually strongly opposing lootboxes precisely because it is an infuriating mechanic. There's nothing wrong with a bit ol' RNG, but it's awful when you uncrate ten lootboxes only to find items you either already have or for perks/weapons you never play as. I took the example of Overwatch for a lootbox system that seems fair (you unlock them quite often) but still infuriating (you can find duplicates quite often, worthless junk like Tags or skins for characters you never play as). The Vault Boxes are particularly guilty of this : sure, you earn them fairly fast (and it takes only two "vault junks" to craft a new one) but the amount of pajamas or lame gold skins I've received is ridiculous. What's the point of opening ten boxes at once when you get maybe ONE cool item out of it?

I believe season passes is currently the best (or "least worse") way to go. Although I'm okay with proper DLCs and expansions if they add a good chunk of content.

I definitely agree about the Vault Dosh however. I get that it's meant to be a "crate unlocker" system, but after a while it takes more and more grinding to get a single one... And just seeing those ridiculous numbers without being able to spend it is rage-inducing. I think it would be a fair trade-off : the vault dosh allows you to unlock crates which gives out random loot, but the more you play (and thus, earn Vosh), the more you could purchase items with the money you earned sweating on the battlefield. I believe it has become far too rare for a game to truly reward players who invest their time in the game. Now everything can be either farmed/cheesed or paid for... I believe the best way to unlock new stuff is to actually spend time in the game. Hence why I also kinda dig the "random loot" system of Team Fortress 2 : you get one new item every once in a while... BUT you can also craft specific items if you so desire, as to avoid earning spy items when you never play the class.

@NokiaSE : that is very true (regarding nostalgia), and I'm a bit fed-up of the nostalgia craze myself (I hope the 2020s will be a bit more fresh than the 2010s...). But hey, it sells. Usually that's what matter. I'm personally less nostalgic and more "practical" so-to-speak. I wanted the MAC-10 back not because "hey cool, it's a weapon from the first game!" but simply because I liked what it brought in the first game : a ranged option for the firebug. But if they brought anything else that functioned similarly, I would have been happy. I was disappointed with the Patriarch's theme not because it wasn't "Abandon All" anymore, but because it paled in comparison... Thus increasing the value I held for Abandon All (and making me wish they did a remix of it).

Obviously, not everyone thinks that way... I personally someone who prefers to look forward and get surprised than someone who clings on the past forever. I looked at KF1 weapons the other day and was a bit sad that most of them have been brought into KF2... It gives less reasons to go back to the good old days. Like, just play KF2 right?

(But then I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite because I ended up welcoming and quite liking most of the weapons brought back... Hell, the trenchgun and boomstick are still my ultimate buddies as they were in KF1)

Upvote 0
"Where did it all go?" Well, here are my thoughts.

First, KF1 was a great game and worked flawlessly with lots of custom maps and content. KF2 started that way, and then.........................
Tripwire got in over their head adding features to garnish THEM more money, and now can't get them fixed. Sorry, it's the way I see it. Having had KF2 servers ever since Early Access, the game once worked perfectly even with the Steam Workshop and custom maps and content.

Not any more. If we, our clan, add any future games to our servers, they won't have a "Tripwire" title. It's been proven to me that it is not worth the headache to deal with all the issues associated with all the problems they create for server admins!

Upvote 0
"Where did it all go?" Well, here are my thoughts.

First, KF1 was a great game and worked flawlessly with lots of custom maps and content. KF2 started that way, and then.........................
Tripwire got in over their head adding features to garnish THEM more money, and now can't get them fixed. Sorry, it's the way I see it. Having had KF2 servers ever since Early Access, the game once worked perfectly even with the Steam Workshop and custom maps and content.

Not any more. If we, our clan, add any future games to our servers, they won't have a "Tripwire" title. It's been proven to me that it is not worth the headache to deal with all the issues associated with all the problems they create for server admins!
Truth be told, I'm starting to see KF2 more and more like "experimental grounds" tbh. It is not that uncommon in video game franchises either.

Sometimes, developers do a lot of crazy **** in their first game and see what sticks for an eventual sequel. The danger in doing so is that people wouldn't be very interested in your game, or find deep flaws and thus, you don't really recommend the game around you nor would you buy potential DLCs. It's a double-edged sword in that regard.

Hence why it's more common to do so in the sequel. Once you got a fanbase, a game that worked fairly well and some solid roots to work from... It's easier to try new things, divert from that core formula, and go crazy !

I believe that example (albeit oversimplified, mind you) is even more appropriate regarding tripwire. KF1 was one of their first game, while they were still a modest team. It was the true release of a simple mod (not the first time it has happened though... Valve is well known for that !). Thus it was logical for them to play it safe. Not only logical from a business standpoint, but also logical : they had less resources, a smaller team... and worked on a more modest game.

Thus, with the experience they got, but also the players they earned through that first experience, they were allowed to try up new things in KF2 and see what worked and what didn't. IMO, that's why we had multiple ways to finance the games (microtransactions, lootboxes, DLCs...) and also why many ideas were thrown into the fray only to not be followed upon (weeklies, objective mode, upgrade system, survivalist perk...)

This is why I have high hopes for a Killing Floor 3. I'm sure (and I hope) that it will lead to a much more focused game. Maybe with less content, maybe with some ideas abandoned completely. But overall a much more finely tuned game. I wouldn't be surprised if the objective mode was expanded upon for example. While the upgrade system might be ditched. We'll see.

Upvote 0
I would be open to bumping the Magnum and Doomstick up to Tier 5,

What are you calling the "Magnum" ? The .500 revolver? If so, I don't really see why...But at the same time, I don't see any other gun that could work as a T5 for the gunslinger, besides maybe a pocket shotgun or something. Or maybe the Remington 1858 "Cattleman's Carbine ? Neither would be able to be dual-wielded though, so maybe it wouldn't count.

As for the Doomstick... I'm also not sold on the idea. Yeah sure, it's a goddamn nuker of a weapon. It ERASES almost anything with its quad-barrel. But the ubiquitous AA-12 is more deserving of the honor IMO. It saved our bacon ever since the early days of KF1. It's powerful, quite accurate for a shotgun, with a large mag and the ability to auto-fire. I struggle to find anything that could top it up as Support's more versatile tool.

Upvote 0