• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Book-Red Army tactics

RedGuardist

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Anybody happen to read this one?

http://www.quikmaneuvers.com/red_army_tactics.html

description of book said:
It accurately depicts common soviet soldiers as a drunk, hate-filled,
murderous group looking over their shoulders at soviet secret police units
ready to kill them if they showed any sign of hesitation. Most of the glorious
breakthroughs of the Red Army in World War II were obtained by the
sacrifice of hundreds of suicide penal battalions, forced to attack into the jaws
of certain death by NKVD blocking troops. Red Army Tactics is a surprising
book, filled with information available nowhere else.

Ok...

Red Army Tactics The Book said:
The communist regime, being a totally heartless and evil tyranny, was used to murdering millions of human beings. A few hundred thousand dead penal battalion inmates were of no concern to Russia's gangster ruling elite. Kept under heavy guard in assembly areas near the front, penal units were brought forward and issued weapons moments before they were ordered: "... Advance to attack! ..." Then their machine-gun-armed NKVD guard companies would herd them into the teeth of German fire. "...They often attacked through minefields as 'tramplers,' whose bodies by the score marked the passage of the Red Army through a field...In most Soviet attacks, several penal battalions were completely wiped out..."The prominent Russian military historian Dmitry Volkogonov obtained classified information from Russian state military archives verifying that over 120,000 Soviet soldiers were sentenced to capital punishment and another 800,000 were ordered to penal battalions. In fact, nearly two million Red Army combatants were thus murdered by “their own” Soviet NKVD units during 1941-45.”

Text seems to be bit on the emotional side to be a research. I wonder if the rest of the text goes on like that...

I wonder if that

Last edited:
Why do you disgrace English by posting that filth? Maker of that book should hang himself in such a manner that the rope can be reused, IMHO.

Now to your argument: Ya, Red Army was pretty brutal. Eastern front was the most brutal conflict in history, and it changed the mens psych (especially how Germans killed most POW's and exterminated entire regions). The Germans were also often fighting to the death rather than being captured.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
W
Now to your argument: Ya, Red Army was pretty brutal. Eastern front was the most brutal conflict in history, and it changed the mens psych (especially how Germans killed most POW's and exterminated entire regions). The Germans were also often fighting to the death rather than being captured.

Your post does not answer in any of my questions.

I just wanted to know, if anybody had read the book, since it seems to be more of an weird pamflet against Soviet Union (bit late for that, isn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't read the book, but the website kinda discredits the author. A historian should try as hard as they can to be un-biased, this person clearly is not attempting that.

A good book I have read about the Soviet Army is Ivan's War. It gives a good insite into the Red Army. Written by an English historian after the cold war.

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ivans-War-Inside-Army-1939-45/dp/0571218091[/URL]

Upvote 0
I wonder if their description on themselves holds water...

Need you really wonder? using language like this:
The communist regime, being a totally heartless and evil tyranny, was used to murdering millions of human beings. A few hundred thousand dead penal battalion inmates were of no concern to Russia's gangster ruling elite.
Is there really any doubt that any pretenses of unbiased historical accuracy has been tossed out the window, and substituted with the authors personal opinions?

The Commies where no angels, but you can't just throw around emotionally charged buzzwords like this and still claim you are presenting history to people, history is about facts, and should make no attempt to judge the morality of thouse facts, the reader is fully capable of doing that on their own if you give them all the facts and historical context.

Upvote 0
history is about facts, and should make no attempt to judge the morality of thouse facts, the reader is fully capable of doing that on their own if you give them all the facts and historical context.

Yes, you are absolutely right.

But somehow I should think that probably majority of those people, who read books by that publisher in question, are probably not capable of doing that. :p

Upvote 0
'Soviet Infantry Tactics in World War II' by Charles C Sharp, published by George Nazfiger is basically a translation of the infantry battle manual as it stood at about late 1942 IIRC.

It is a trustworthy source.

The book mentioned in your question appears to be a fairly nauseating misrepresentation of the Soviet Army.

Perhaps they got confused and thought they were writing about Orc hordes or something.

Upvote 0
Uhh, no. Right now, you are saying this:

US book says 3+3=7.
Russian book says 3+3=5
This doesn't work because in reality Russian book says 3+3=6.

I'm not saying Westerners are automatically unable 2 write better than Russians, I am saying that you will get the better source most likely from Russians/other ethnicity having fought in GPW (except the Balts) about the red army. I have an impression that vast majority of western writers write from a German POW (not suprising), using German accounts and German casualty figuires - etc.
I love the unbiased logic you apply here: anything that is likely to be anti-soviet and not patriotic is wrong by definition. Surely 'the Balts' have no idea about the eastern front except for having among the highest casualities of all belligerents and having been occupied by Germany as well as the SU.

Upvote 0
Anybody happen to read this one?

http://www.quikmaneuvers.com/red_army_tactics.htmlEverybody, who has read something about the subject, knows that the Red Army was very far from the glorious picture painted in CCCP or in Russia nowadays. But I really liked to hear if anybody has read the book, since it seems to be riding with the more "scandalous" things and concentrating on moral judgements than tactics itself. Which I would be more interested in.

the easiest to answer your question is read the rest of website ;)

Upvote 0