• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bolt handles and ejection ports (and other stupidity)

Bolt handles and ejection ports (and other stupidity)

• Yes. I want realism. It makes games more immersive.

Votes: 64 70.3%
  • No. I l1ke shellz spray1ng everywhere! Real1sm sux lolz!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don't care. If the game developer is too lazy to do some research... meh.

Votes: 25 27.5%

• Total voters
Moz said:
what the **** are you talking about. Besides the MG42 throwing shells sideways instead of down, I can't think of a single weapon in RO that has the shells ejecting in the wrong direction.

You = fail

If I may quote myself from the very first post:

Well, not in RO... THANK YOU, staff of RO, for respecting realism and modeling weapons correctly.

And now, if I may use your own words against you:

You = fail

TRY READING NEXT TIME.

Upvote 0
Moz = Pwned

As for your argument about bolt-actions skypirate, I never took into consideration that lever actions would be hard to do prone, good point. But as any left handed shooter can tell you, a bolt-action is a lefty's enemy. They may be the most power efficient and accurate type of rifle, but operating them at a decent rate of fire is almost impossible for a left hander. A lefty can shoot a bolt, but very slowly (for me anyway).

Upvote 0
There's a really simple reason for the ejection ports in CS... The guy that did the original models for Counterstrike is Left Handed. Thus all the guns in the game were orginally on the left hand side of the screen and the ejection ports, priming handles, etc were correct.

Later on, people wanted right hand weapon models for whatever reason, but nobody felt like spending the time to completely redo the models... so the art was just mirrored and implemented.

I think it's kind of become CS Schtick at this point... you still have the option of left or right handed weapons and I play Left Handed just to be different... (I'm techincally right handed, but I can shoot off either shoulder, and I putt left handed so /shrug)

Upvote 0
sharpshooterklj said:
Moz = Pwned

As for your argument about bolt-actions skypirate, I never took into consideration that lever actions would be hard to do prone, good point. But as any left handed shooter can tell you, a bolt-action is a lefty's enemy. They may be the most power efficient and accurate type of rifle, but operating them at a decent rate of fire is almost impossible for a left hander. A lefty can shoot a bolt, but very slowly (for me anyway).

I never took into consideration that bolt actions were difficult for left handed shooters. You bring up a really good point. It isn't that big a deal with semi-automatics (assuming the brass doesn't hit you in the face) because the bolt handle only needs to be worked once. Nor is it a big deal with pistols because the slide can be worked with either hand. Of course, safety switches are another concern altogether.

But bolt actions... yeah, it would suck trying to operate one with your opposite hand. I can see why you'd prefer a lever action for this reason. In World War II, they'd probably just tell a guy like you to deal with it. If they were nice, they might let you operate or feed the squad machine gun or maybe they'd give you a SMG.

There's a really simple reason for the ejection ports in CS... The guy that did the original models for Counterstrike is Left Handed. Thus all the guns in the game were orginally on the left hand side of the screen and the ejection ports, priming handles, etc were correct.

Later on, people wanted right hand weapon models for whatever reason, but nobody felt like spending the time to completely redo the models... so the art was just mirrored and implemented.

Ok, that makes sense. But why would other games like Battlefield 2 and Black do the same thing? I'm glad the RO staff had the balls to resist the pattern of unrealistic gameyness in first-person shooters and modeled the weapons correctly.

Upvote 0
sharpshooterklj said:
Yeah lol, when you whip out an M-4, the guy pulls on the un-jam button (as I call it). Thats worse than the mirrored lefty gun models in my opinion. Is it that hard to do a google search on the internal workings of the M-16 weapons system? Valve kinda irritated me with that inaccuracy.

No, you mean Valve didn't care. I remember when CS 1.6 first came out, the biggest upgrade really was an updated de_inferno, added Galil and FAMAS (pretty uncommon weapons in multiplayer, anyways), adding a longer barrel to the Glock and more "brass" looking bullets for the M249 Para model. Other than that, Valve just didn't bother to do anything else, they just recycled Gooseman's old models, touched up some of them (marginally), and released it. The masses were sold and Valve got away with half-assing (or in this case, no-assing) a patch.

Upvote 0
This post is a bit convoluted, but:

I love the little details in the game. For example, become a Scharfschuzte, and fire a round but don't bolt the gun. Then, proceed to reload the gun. Tripwire went as far as to put so much attention to the small things that when you pull the bolt back to open the chamber to load a bullet in, the spent casing would actually fly out! I haven't confirmed yet if you fired a bullet, cocked the gun, and then reloaded if a bullet would fly out if you pull the bolt back, and if it would actually subtract the unused bullet from your rounds left in the chamber, but I'm sure I will.

Upvote 0
capslock.jpg

Maybe then it wouldn't hurt my eyes you read your shitty threads

Upvote 0
Dangchang said:
For a game like counter strike, I spend about half an hour downloading and installing realistic/correct models and animations. Another thing I didn't like in CS was how when you pulled our the M4A1 and he pulled the forward assist.

The forward assist is a button.

How the hell could they make a combat game knowing nothing about real guns? That's exactly the gameyness I'm talking about.

It's pathetic when some kid who is a "pro" at counterstrike talks to me about guns. I've actually had conversations like this...

Kid: So what's your favorite pistol?
Me: I'd have to say the Glock 17.
Kid: Haha! The Glock sucks.
Me: Why do you say that?
Kid: The 9mm is so weak!
Me: Have you ever been shot with a 9mm or seen its performance in ballistics gelletin?
Kid: No.
Me: 9mm is a proven stopper, and in my opinion, it's the best balance between power and capacity. It's also the NATO standard round for pistols and SMGs. As for the Glock, it is one of the most reliable pistols in the world, if not THE most reliable.
Kid: No way. The Desert Eagle is the best pistol in the world and it's easy to headshot people 100 yards away.
Me: You play counterstrike, don't you?
Kid: Yeah, how'd you know?
Me: The Desert Eagle is a heavy, cumbersome novelty pistol deemed inefficient for combat that is not in official service with any world military. And it is hard enough to take headshots with a rifle at 100 yards, let alone a pistol.
Kid: But it's in all these movies and...
Me: They are movies. They aren't real. The Desert Eagle makes a good prop because it's big and shiny. 9mm will kill a person just as dead as .50AE but with twice the capacity, less weight, and a lot less recoil. If you really want something more powerful, you should just use a SMG or an assault rifle.
Kid: But if you just holster your pistol and pull your knife out you'll run much faster.
Me: What the hell are you talking about? You are still carrying your gun. The weight hasn't changed.
Kid: Oh.
Me: You haven't actually ever shot a real gun, have you?
Kid: Um... no.
Me: Bye.

Upvote 0
Moz said:
capslock.jpg

Maybe then it wouldn't hurt my eyes you read your shitty threads

I have an idea. How about you remove the rest of the keys on your keyboard. Then close your eyes. There. Now both of us are happy.

The RO team did good with the mosin nagant and k98. Let me explain: The shell just pops out/flys just a little out of the chamber when bolted and the mosin nagant flys out alot farther. If you have both of these firearms go try it for yourself and see (thats what it does).

Have you tried loading a Mosin with clips? They modeled that PERFECTLY! The whole way the guy bends the top round up to get leverage while pushing the rounds down... now that's what I call attention to detail!

Upvote 0
sharpshooterklj said:
This is just a random question, but since TWI was so accurate in their gun models and gun functions, I wonder how many of them are owners of a few the game's featured guns. If they don't own the weapons in the game, then kudos for the extensive research they must've done.

If they didn't already have a gun buff on their staff, I bet that they at least tried some of the real weapons. They may have even consulted a few weapons experts and WW2 historians.

Whatever they did, it worked out very well for them. They ended up creating the most realistic WW2 game. The attention to detail is mind blowing.

Upvote 0
sharpshooterklj said:
Wow, good post. I've been through conversations similar to that with quite a few posers. But I'd have to say I prefer the 92FS over the Glock 17, same 9mm, but the 92FS just looks so cool. I would like it even more if the safety wasn't so hard for lefties to operate...

Beretta is good, though not as reliable as Glock and Sig Sauer. Some Marines have been complaining of frequent jams in Iraq with their Berettas due to the sand. I think the best pistols are Glock, Sig, and H&K. H&K isn't as well liked as Glock and Sig because it's overpriced and spare magazines are ridiculously expensive. At least with the shooters I've talked to, and even with the cops I've talked to, Glocks and Sigs have the best reputation. It's the same story with my own shooting friends and acquaintences. Glocks and Sigs.

Upvote 0