• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bolt handles and ejection ports (and other stupidity)

Bolt handles and ejection ports (and other stupidity)

• Yes. I want realism. It makes games more immersive.

Votes: 64 70.3%
  • No. I l1ke shellz spray1ng everywhere! Real1sm sux lolz!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don't care. If the game developer is too lazy to do some research... meh.

Votes: 25 27.5%

• Total voters
Suedars said:
This poll is terribly biased IMO. The two you viewpoints you disagree with have been framed to look either unrational, or slip in a pointed comment agreeing with you. Furthermore, you've completely left off an option for "there are much more important things to be done."

Yeah, it is a little biased. It makes the kids who like unrealistic gameyness look bad. But then again, votes are anonymous. And I think the general idea of each choice is clear.

By the way, your point of view would probably be best expressed by the "I don't care" option.

Alright, that's enough out of me for now. I'm off to McDonalds to pick up a very late dinner.

Upvote 0
skypirate said:
For those of you who have played counterstrike, battlefield, black, and other war games... What's the whole deal with the bolt handle and ejection port being on the LEFT side of the weapon? AK-47s, M-16s, M-4s... WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

In CS, don't you also like the magic dust cover on the M4? The way it flips itself back up after each round has been fired, rather than staying down where it should

Upvote 0
Well what I want to know is what is up with safeties/selector switches on guns being on safe and/or not animated? Take CS for example, the if you switch fire modes on the glock, it just sits there and a little message pops up to tell you that you are now firing in 3 round bursts. Even RO makes this mistake (though it is only on the 98k, I'm not to sure about the STG-44 though). Now I'm not saying that there needs to be an animation or even the option to put the gun on safe (which doesn't make any sense since FPS's are all about combat), but at least have it on fire when you spawn, and if it has multiple fire modes, show some animation please (preferably a good one so I only have to look at the gun to tell what fire mode I am using and not some HUD indicator). Now that physics engines are here to stay and are used for destroyable objects, ragdolls, misc. debris, etc., it makes sense for the animators to work on other things, namely the stuff I mentioned in this post.

Upvote 0
I really don't give a crap about which side the casings come out. It doesn't actually effect gameplay, and I've never gotten immersed in any game no matter how realistic, so it doesn't annoy me or break the suspension of disbelief for me. It would be nice to have it on the correct side, but if it isn't, then whatever.

Upvote 0
skypirate said:
Beretta is good, though not as reliable as Glock and Sig Sauer. Some Marines have been complaining of frequent jams in Iraq with their Berettas due to the sand.

They had the same problem in 1991 during Desert Storm, and not just with the Beretta. Nearly every gun used was jamming due to sand and grit. It happened then (and is happening now) because US troops are trained in how to maintain a weapon for far different climatic conditions. I imagine the STILL haven't fully trained the troops NOT to leave a visible oily coat behind when they clean their weapons. In the desert, "proper" lubrication means your weapon WILL jam. Better to clean it and leave it dry.

FYI, when the M92 was first adopted Guns & Ammo Magazine did a pretty severe stress test to see how reliable it was. Everything from literally burying it in a bucket of mud to pouring sand in and on every part of the pistol. The only part they kept clean was the barrel (inside, not outside). The results were quite impressive, as the pistol proceeded to fire every single round they put through it without one single stoppage.

Reminds me of the SEAL unit that said the pistol was a bad design because theirs were showing cracks in the slide after less than 500 rounds. Turns out they were using non-spec SMG ammo which was loaded to far higher pressures than the standard ball load. In other words, ammo that the manufacturer stated quite clearly was NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN PISTOLS.

Upvote 0
AceOfSpades said:
I really don't give a crap about which side the casings come out. It doesn't actually effect gameplay, and I've never gotten immersed in any game no matter how realistic, so it doesn't annoy me or break the suspension of disbelief for me. It would be nice to have it on the correct side, but if it isn't, then whatever.

To me it is a big deal, i love guns, and for me to really get into a shooter, it needs good guns that look and act like they should.
So you can imagine, having a mirrored weapons irks me greatly, thats not how they are supposed to look! to me its as bad as if they gave me a pink weapon.

RO has its faults too, with the Kar safety beeing the most noticable, but thease are small details on the guns, and i can forgive that, but when the whole weapon is inside-out, then its 100% wrong, its not just a small bit on it, the whole gun is wrong! :(

Upvote 0
AceOfSpades
Well not now, when UE 3 and other engines with many physics capabilities come out, the ejected cases can become a part of gameplay. Imagine a city map, now there is a enemy sniper somewhere, with a silenced sniper rifle (lets say the VSS 'Vintorez') within 100 - 150 meters of your position. You can't see his muzzle flash or hear his shots, lucky for you though that he can't see you because he is looking through a narrow crack in a wall. The sniper fires and takes down another soldier in your squad who is 50 meters away, you still have no idea where he is except that you see a sparkling object fall off the roof of a building with a crack at the very top of it and makes a very distinctive plink when it hits the ground. That sniper is about to get owned and he doesn't even know it.

But if the gun was improperly modeled and had cases coming out the left side, you would still have no idea where that sniper was and he can harass your team till the map/round ends (unfortunatly this scenario won't be possible for years, imagine the lag if the server had to update 64 people with where each case lands, would be worse if it was a modern day game, automatics for everyone!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
skypirate said:
I have an idea. How about you remove the rest of the keys on your keyboard. Then close your eyes. There. Now both of us are happy.

Have you tried loading a Mosin with clips? They modeled that PERFECTLY! The whole way the guy bends the top round up to get leverage while pushing the rounds down... now that's what I call attention to detail!
Yes, they got the Mosin right but the Mauser reload is completely wrong. All you have to do with a Mauser is place your thumb near the base of the top cartridge and press down. They strip off quite easily. You cannot move the top round up like they show in the reload sequence.

Here I am loading my M24/47.

http://media.putfile.com/M2447

At least they did take the safety off in the patch.

Oh and a lefty can operate a bolt quite easily with a little practice. Just look at my brother.

http://media.putfile.com/C-M44

Don't take this as true criticism. RO is still the most realistic WWII shooter I've ever played.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
User Name said:
Yes, they got the Mosin right but the Mauser reload is completely wrong. All you have to do with a Mauser is place your thumb near the base of the top cartridge and press down. They strip off quite easily. You cannot move the top round up like they show in the reload sequence.

Here I am loading my M24/47.

http://media.putfile.com/M2447

At least they did take the safety off in the patch.

Oh and a lefty can operate a bolt quite easily with a little practice. Just look at my brother.

http://media.putfile.com/C-M44

Don't take this as true criticism. RO is still the most realistic WWII shooter I've ever played.

Very nice videos. I'm guessing that Mauser is Yugoslavian? I should add that you've got very good shooting form. Some people lower their rifle everytime they work the bolt but you keep it on your shoulder, which makes your rate of fire faster. It was also cool to see your brother working the M44 left-handed. I've never seen a lefty work a bolt-action before but your brother makes it look easy.

Upvote 0
skypirate said:
Very nice videos. I'm guessing that Mauser is Yugoslavian? I should add that you've got very good shooting form. Some people lower their rifle everytime they work the bolt but you keep it on your shoulder, which makes your rate of fire faster. It was also cool to see your brother working the M44 left-handed. I've never seen a lefty work a bolt-action before but your brother makes it look easy.

Yep, it's a Yugo. Here is a pic of it the day I got it.
M2447r.jpg

My brother says a straight bolt is easier for him but he works a bent bolt just as fast. Other than lowering the rifle he works the bolt on my K98k just as fast as I can.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
To me it is a big deal, i love guns, and for me to really get into a shooter, it needs good guns that look and act like they should.
So you can imagine, having a mirrored weapons irks me greatly, thats not how they are supposed to look! to me its as bad as if they gave me a pink weapon.

RO has its faults too, with the Kar safety beeing the most noticable, but thease are small details on the guns, and i can forgive that, but when the whole weapon is inside-out, then its 100% wrong, its not just a small bit on it, the whole gun is wrong! :(
I can understand why you get bothered by the mirrored weapons since you can get into a shooter, but I always find it hard to get into any shooter. It's just difficult for me, the games haven't become photographic yet and the player models always seem to be turning their whole body effortlessly wherever they look. The player models are always in a shooting posture, so it's not gonna immerse me if a player model is in a shooting stance when crouched with back against cover.

@Byte Me: Can you give an example of a situation where it really would matter? The only hypothetical situation I can think of is when the sniper is hiding in foliage, but in that situation, it wouldn't matter whether it comes out from the left or right.

Upvote 0
Haha, another selling point for RO: Educational tool!

As for the whole ejection port side thing; it really doesn't matter to me. I mean, there are way more important things to be concerned about in the games than where your casings are coming from. I don't even know how you'd notice such a thing. The m4 in CS:S, though, did crack me up in its blatantly stupid 'pulling the charging handle' thing. :D

Upvote 0