• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Body collision

Body collision

• We should have body collision at all times.

Votes: 142 49.0%
  • We should have body collision outside spawn areas (no body collsion inside spawn areas).

Votes: 89 30.7%
  • No body collision at all times, it works out better that way.

Votes: 59 20.3%

• Total voters

I. Kant

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2007
The question is, do we really need it for the improved realism mode that is (hopefully) upcoming?

I certainly want the majority of the improvements that are asked for when discussing how to improve RO2 unto the realism levels initially expected, but this one thing is a no to me.

I feel the benefits of the inclusion of no body collision outweigh the negatives (in terms of providing a pleasant, slightly de-trollised playing experience).

On the plus side, you never see the blocking jerks anymore- and Stalin knows with the narrow and cramped maps, we would be getting massively blocked, nay, choked!, to death. Moreover, you can get in cover when you need it, not be left sticking out like a sore thumb waiting to be perforated with MkB fire- just because your desired cover spot was already taken up, or partly taken up.

On the minus side, you get TKs from jerks running across your line of fire, or just TKs from players inauspiciously passing too close to your firing gun, while navigating a narrow passage (think of the staircases, for instance).

Overall, this is one thing there was great uproar about shortly after release, but has since died down (in my perception) once people saw how it plays out, but now I see a resurgence of people asking to get rid of it. Your thoughts?

I would prefer full body collision. It creates awareness of other players and improves gameplay.
With body collision enabled:
- teammates won't teamkill each other by accident anymore.
- "10 man, one window" situation will disappear
- if somebody wants to clear a room with "cutting the pie" technique other player won't simply cross his sight and run inside (less run'n'gun gameplay)
- many new players will feel more natural (such games like Battlefield 3 has full body collision enabled and no one blame it). I remember that in first days after release, many newcomers thought that's a another bug of RO2 (and left the game)
- it creates tactical feeling (and RO2 suppose to be tactical game)

At least enable it for Normal game mode, so leave relaxed realism as it is.

Upvote 0
I prefer body collision on. There are so many ways to move thru windows, doors, etc with mantling that I don't feel there really is a need for it. I always found it rare that someone was blocking doors in ROOST, certainly not enough to justify turning off collision in ROHOS.

Besides, I have run into too many problems with me firing a weapon as a player runs thru me, even if I don't TK him they, immediately block line of sight etc. On top of that, how many of you have had a player trying to share the same window as you, constantly moving thru you left and right. So very annoying.

I think TWI traded off a very small problem for a larger more annoying one when they turned off collision. I will say that if it is turned on, I wouldn't mind a small bump movement if two players happen to collide, kind of a friendly nudge :)

Reactions: I. Kant
Upvote 0
I can see benefits for both; however, had RO2 shipped with body collision I'd not have had a second thought about it but seeing as it didn't I do find myself thinking about it. Based on that alone I think I prefer collisions being on.

I worry that leaning into a doorway from a position of cover would act as a blocking posture which would be a bit pants. If it didn't block it might still end up generating pass-through-TKing.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see body collisions put in, IF two or more people can push one guy around. This would be realistic, and get around idiots who block doors.

Maybe making the body collision box into a narrow rectangular prism just around the torso area. That way, you can side step passed people to squeeze through. Plus another players arms wouldn't stop you cold just because your arm ran into them. This would stop people from walking through you into your line of fire.

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
Body collisions only with Enemies, where is that on the poll?

That option is not in the poll, because I was under the impression - nay, quite convinced - that enemies collide with you normally. If proven wrong, I will endeavour to include that option as well.

Edit: Oh, and what Moe and Mormegil bring up- yeah, pushing friendlies aside would be an excellent thing, although again- abusable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the whole door blocking thing is a boogeyman. Ive played everything from battlefield 42 to ArmA2 as well as RO since the mod days and i have yet to see one legitimate case of door blocking, let alone one that becomes a problem.

Full collision, all the time, every time. I do like the narrow prism idea that was posted which should appease those who actually consider this a problem.

Upvote 0