• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bobby Kotick wins again

Actually SC2 development began in 2003. The Activision Blizzard merger was on July 9, 2008.

Not to be a dick but your arguments are worth much less when you're relying on assumptions and faulty facts.

But of course I said
(Granted Blizzard had plans for these sequels many moons (5+ years) ago, but it wasn't until AV joined in did they decide to surface).

My point remains though.
It didn't take TWI 5 minutes to get stuck into some extra curricular activity with other developers, or titles. And yet a well established well respected company with more money than Croesus has done what...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But of course I said
(Granted Blizzard had plans for these sequels many moons (5+ years) ago, but it wasn't until AV joined in did they decide to surface)

Plans and actual development are two different things. Even if development started the same day Blizzard announced that SC2 was in development, thats still in May 2007, a little over a year before the Activision Blizzard merger was complete.

What is your point exactly? That Blizzard didn't and shouldn't have needed to merge with Activision? I don't know all the facts or reasons but I would agree with you on that. In terms of how any of these questionable business moves affect the new Blizzard games though, if SC2 is any indication, they still have their head screwed on right. If the two other SC2 games were priced at $60, or battle.net required a subscription, or SC3 was announced for next year, or Diablo was a first person shooter, or anything like that then I could see the concern but that just hasn't been the case yet. So if it's none of those things its just the fact that Blizzard hasn't done anything but work on their core franchises right? If that's the case I would say every company doesn't need to be revolutionary if they're creating quality made games just like every new movie doesn't have to reinvent filmmaking.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
The reality (remember that word) is that AV approached BE about the merger. BE's tech was and still is best in class. Bob is not stupid. If you want to manage millions of players online at the same time then learn from the best. AV get the tech and BE get the monster sales marketing machine that is AV. Don't forget WoW only sold a million and a half after a year compared to say SC2 that subsequently sold 3 million in 4 weeks. They need each other. Join the revolution.

Upvote 0
Well, they could do what they do already - and...maybe they could take some fledgling developers under their wing (Maybe help someone emulate the success of Condor/Blizzard North - the original developers of Diablo), help them with their vision, try taking on some risky projects, maybe try something new, use your financial clout and broad reach to introduce people to new and interesting things...you know, generally good things that could help the "struggling" PC games industry.

If you are a major player in something it is your responsibility to help it grow. Not just to maintain the status quo.

Upvote 0
Well, they could do what they do already - and...maybe they could take some fledgling developers under their wing (Maybe help someone emulate the success of Condor/Blizzard North - the original developers of Diablo), help them with their vision, try taking on some risky projects, maybe try something new, use your financial clout and broad reach to introduce people to new and interesting things...you know, generally good things that could help the "struggling" PC games industry.

If you are a major player in something it is your responsibility to help it grow. Not just to maintain the status quo.

Well ok I agree with you that it would be nice for them to be doing those things. Do I think they have a responsibility to do those things? No. A game developer's primary goal is to make good games. Blizzard does just that so anything else would be a bonus, not a necessity.

Plus it should be noted that Blizzard's status quo is above what most other developers would consider the status quo.

Upvote 0
Well ok I agree with you that it would be nice for them to be doing those things. Do I think they have a responsibility to do those things? No. A game developer's primary goal is to make good games. Blizzard does just that so anything else would be a bonus, not a necessity.

Plus it should be noted that Blizzard's status quo is above what most other developers would consider the status quo.

Completely agree that Blizzard are above par, and this is where our opinions differ. The industry has changed so much since Blizzard started out - and for anyone to get anywhere near where they are is just not possible without a helping hand anymore. Despite their obvious talent, would Tripwire even exist now if it hadn't been for the MSU contest?

Blizzard, as a big player (just like Activision, and EA before them) should be doing as much as possible to help.

Upvote 0
Completely agree that Blizzard are above par, and this is where our opinions differ. The industry has changed so much since Blizzard started out - and for anyone to get anywhere near where they are is just not possible without a helping hand anymore. Despite their obvious talent, would Tripwire even exist now if it hadn't been for the MSU contest?

Blizzard, as a big player (just like Activision, and EA before them) should be doing as much as possible to help.

I didn't really think of it that way. Excellent point.

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0

They ain't Caritas. But in terms of recruiting etc. especcially Valve is "ahead" of them, I'd agree with that.

Upvote 0
Things like the MSU contest, and valve supporting mods and ultimately taking on ppl like robin walker et al, create the opportunity for the software fairytales to come true.
And whatever style of game you like, everyone who takes more than a passing interest in the industry should rejoice in that.
But Epic and Valve are private companies - EA, ubi and acti/blizz are public.

It was mentioned that major players have a responsibility to help the industry grow - truth is, once you've floated your only responsibilities are to your shareholders.

The swallowing up of talanted games developers, sucking their products dry till they are a grey lifeless shadow of what they once were - EA /westwood comes to mind - is one concequence of this.
Inevitable - but it doesn't mean you have to like it.
It destroys the fairytale that is enjoying the creative labours of dedicated enthusiatic developers, and being happy to help them earn a crust.
Thats why the last game i bought new, full price, was stalker.

Upvote 0
you not realizing several important points when bashing Blizzard for example

1st thing every developer wish to have enough or unlimited amount of money (resources)
Blizzard went quite close to it thanks to success of SC1 and especially due to constant income from working WoW MMO fomula

2nd thing every developer wish to have is more time or ideally infite of time for development
Blizzard went again quite close cause with theirs huge amount of cash reserves and constant stream from WoW
they can decide how long it's need to develop, test games and announce / release w/e they think it's fit (Starcraft 2, Diablo 3)

3rd thing every developer wish is release only after the title is really ready :)
Blizzard thanks to point 1 and 2 can reach perfect score on point 3.

yes they are money making monster but the games they make are good for these who play them and they working on improving them for that target audience

blaming them to not jump on risky projects is bit no true, You don't know all the titles they scrapped or tried and failed and thus stayed on safe spot

as result You can't say the Blizzard is bad developer because they release patches, care about community and have long term plans capable last for decades ...

every other developer if they finds the sweet spot will fortify it and make sure it will last as long as possible and do all to keep it that way

Upvote 0
In my opinion though, like the recent influx of 80's TV show movies/rehashes (Transformers, GI Joe, TR0N) - "refreshing franchises" a decade later is just an oppertunity to cash in on the audience who used to have to nag their parents...who now have their own disposable income.

Well your opinion doesn't really mean jack because there are literally tens of millions of people (me included) + the entire population of Korea that's been pining for Starcraft 2 for over a decade. Who the hell are you anyways to be telling people how to spend their money and what to enjoy?

Uh oh... and isn't TWI "refreshing franchises" :eek:? RO2 and a MASSIVE hint that KF2 might be in the works in that Russian interview?

Blizzard has ALWAYS been the "polish to perfection what's already there" developer, not the "release a buggy game with some brilliant new ideas" developer. As someone mentioned SC2 was in development since 2003. That's a LONG *** TIME, and guess what it PAYED OFF. The only people who don't like it are people who don't like frantically paced old school RTS games.

Last edited:
Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
and how did they get millions of obediant fans? By making good games to begin with. Whether you personally enjoy them or not, starcraft, diablo, and warcraft are well made games that have tons of care poured into them. No one ever seems to say it but the original call of duty was a good game too. It would have been much better in retrospect had ro mod never come out but that's a different story. The difference is blizzard hasn't blatantly milked their franchises.

There are two starcraft games that came out twelve years apart. It's been about ten years since diablo ii. There is a new cod game every year. in fact they just announced a new cod game will be releasing next holiday season just mere days after black ops launched. The only thing you could really argue about blizzard is that wow is a monster but having a subscription based grinding mmo is not something they dreamed up. Even splitting up sc2 into three boxes will be reasonable since the second installment will release approximately 2 years later.

I feel like alot of sc2 hate is coming from people who fit into one or more of the following categories: Don't like rts games to begin with, don't like the scifi theme, aren't good at the game, or are just hating because its popular. Yes blizzard is insanely popular. Yes they merged with the devilish activision. But do they still make good games with lots of care. Yes! And this is coming from someone who justed started playing their games a year ago, not a longtime fanboy.
A *massive* +1111111111111111111111

Oh and a massive LOL @ gaming elitism. Who would've thought people would've come up with a way to be snobby about video games...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My point is that Blizzard makes enough money and has enough influence to do the PC gaming market immeasurable good. But chooses not to.
Who do you think they are? God?

They DO do the PC gaming market "immeasurable" good. They just released SC2... which, need I mention, is PC ONLY, and they're ALSO releasing Diablo 3, another franchise which is a HUGE favorite of millions of PC gamers. And they've got two MORE PC games coming out in a year and a half and in another year and half. Giving us a total of 80-90 SC2 singleplayer missions (and they'll doubtless include new units for more multiplayer fun)... and the mission design in SC2 was better than ANY singleplayer RTS campaign I've ever played by far and away, so I'm happy they're releasing two expansion packs.

And it's blizz, so you KNOW there will be a billion balance patches until the game is as balanced as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well your opinion doesn't really mean jack because there are literally tens of millions of people (me included) + the entire population of Korea that's been pining for Starcraft 2 for over a decade. Who the hell are you anyways to be telling people how to spend their money and what to enjoy?

I'm posting my opinion in a discussion forum. I'm not telling you what to do with your money. What should it matter how many people disagree with me? Millions of people vote Conservative, millions of people smoke around their children...doesn't mean I'm going to admit they're right - does it?

Uh oh... and isn't TWI "refreshing franchises" :eek:? RO2 and a MASSIVE hint that KF2 might be in the works in that Russian interview?

No, they aren't "refreshing franchises" they are (at least going on ROHOS) vastly improved sequels. And they aren't exactly old franchises are they?

Blizzard has ALWAYS been the "polish to perfection what's already there" developer, not the "release a buggy game with some brilliant new ideas" developer. As someone mentioned SC2 was in development since 2003. That's a LONG *** TIME, and guess what it PAYED OFF. The only people who don't like it are people who don't like frantically paced old school RTS games.

I didn't say Blizzard were a bad developer. I suggested that their position in the industry gives them a lot of power that they're really not doing nothing with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0