• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

blued Mosin bolts

Just to throw a little fuel on this particular fire ... there are SOME 91/30's that have blued bolts. Very, very few. I have one - a 1937 Tula.

BUT. All of the blued ones appear to have been blued in a Finnish arsenal. Nobody seems to know why, or at what arsenal, or why some of them were done but not others. No real rhyme or reason seems to apply.

I -THINK- that it was done post-war, though. There are some SA-marked weapons that were recaptured by the Soviets, and have come through the import process from the Ukraine with the rest of the 91/30's. To my knowledge, none of them have a blued bolt.

Upvote 0
WHY THE HELL has this thread been moved to the Ideas and Suggestions area?!?

Seriously, I really think that some of our mods should get some lessons in the basic logic class.

@ Whoever moved this:
This is neither a Idea, nor a suggestion, it's a Notification for the devs! :rolleyes:
On the other hand, there is a lot of stuff that should be moved here, notably the Anti-tank dicsussion and some other stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can think of only a few circles where the colour of the bolt could be an "obvious error". They've stated before that the weapons they can get hold of - they have used to model the ingame models. So perhaps the weapon they have used for reference has a blued bolt.

Good, you've noticed a discrepancy, but ranting at a mod for moving it from one forum to another seems pointless - you could easily argue that this is you suggesting that TWI change the colour of the bolt.

Honestly though some of the threads on this forum
"Oh my god, look at his sideburns!"
"That bolt should be rounded, not hexagonal!"
"His water bottle is not in the right place on his belt!"

I get attention to detail, but sometimes...

Upvote 0
There should also be different skins for the same guns, lower ranking guys should get the new circular shaped bolts and unfinished stocks, and the higher ups should get the more desirable hexagon shaped bolts and finished stocks.

I don't know about rare niche guns like a blued bolt, this is Heroes of Stalingrad, not American Pickers of Stalingrad. :IS2:

Upvote 0
I get attention to detail, but sometimes...

I just checked the in game vids and the mosin definately has a blued bolt handle, can't say for the bolt itself exactly.

A blued bolt on a 91/30 is a so fundamental error as SS soldiers with M16's and woodland camo in Stalingrad would be. Something that is right in your face all the time is of a different magnitude than a wrong ammo pouch. I can only shake my head at that error, not because it can happen, but because the devs keep talking about owning the guns themselves and accuracy when it comes to guns and, for the most part, because they already got it right twice. Heck, take any crappy WW2 shooter and you'll see a polished bolt!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A blued bolt on a 91/30 is a so fundamental error as SS soldiers with longswords and violet, aristocratic pimp clothing made from velvet

Fixed for clarity.

SheepDip said:
I can think of only a few circles where the colour of the bolt could be an "obvious error". They've stated before that the weapons they can get hold of - they have used to model the ingame models. So perhaps the weapon they have used for reference has a blued bolt.

Which raises the question can they even properly distinguish a diffrence between a Mosin that has modernised parts and a Mosin that has atleast 'correct' parts regarding how 99,99999999999999999999999% Mosins were? Sure it's not the end of the world, but it has tad too much irony in it.

Upvote 0
I'm only speculating with regards the reasons for it being "blued"...maybe a dev can elaborate.

And

I very much doubt a minor detail - of a part of the weapon - is as significant as giving them a completely incorrect weapon (longswords and M16's). It still functions in the same way, blue bolt or not, its superficial - there's no need to be so unreasonable about it.

It's almost as bad as "that weapon has the wrong stamp/markings on it" or "that's the wrong scope model" for the year...

Upvote 0
I very much doubt a minor detail - of a part of the weapon - is as significant as giving them a completely incorrect weapon (longswords and M16's). It still functions in the same way, blue bolt or not, its superficial - there's no need to be so unreasonable about it.

It's almost as bad as "that weapon has the wrong stamp/markings on it" or "that's the wrong scope model" for the year...

No, because even games like Call of Goofy get it right.

Upvote 0

These guys know their weapons, SheepDip. I'm pretty sure they know the difference between a blued bolt and one that's in the white.

There should also be different skins for the same guns, lower ranking guys should get the new circular shaped bolts and unfinished stocks, and the higher ups should get the more desirable hexagon shaped bolts and finished stocks.

Oh for Chrissakes. RECEIVER. Round or Hex RECEIVER. NOT BOLT. And wartime stocks were frequently laminated, which is better than hardwood.

Which raises the question can they even properly distinguish a diffrence between a Mosin that has modernised parts and a Mosin that has atleast 'correct' parts regarding how 99,99999999999999999999999% Mosins were? Sure it's not the end of the world, but it has tad too much irony in it.

There -ARE- no modern parts for them, to speak of. You've got a very limited aftermarket for components, and they're all pretty obviously modern, and with very limited exceptions they're all complete ****, too. Anything that's actually correct for these guns will be marked with (for the most part) either the Izhevsk Arrow-In-Triangle or the Tula Arrow-In-Star. (There were some other makers too, and variations. Those are not the only two markings, so don't go tripping on me about Chatellerault or Sestroryetsk or Pre-1928 or anything.)

I'm only speculating with regards the reasons for it being "blued"...maybe a dev can elaborate.

And

You're right. It is almost that bad. Very nearly that bad. The rationale given for the MKb.42 is that 'it could have been there, so we put it there.' A blued bolt on a Mosin is absolutely incorrect for that time period and location.

Exactly, maybe the reason the bolts are blued is that they aren't "blued" in the first place and maybe the soldier put black stuff on them to make it less visible to enemy snipers?

I never heard of that....

Because it's dumb.

Just for the sake of clarity and reference, etc., here's a side by side view of two Mosin-Nagant bolts: one in the white, as done by the Russians, the other one blued, as done (in some rare instances, and for unknown reasons) by the Finns.

1001592s.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0