• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Blocking volume for zombies, not players

DolphinBuffMan

Aug 3, 2014
Australia
Hi guys, I have recently taken up an old map I was creating. I'd say that it is mostly done, but it requires a few touch ups. I have looked through numerous pages of threads and have found answers to a few of my questions, but a few still remain.

One of these issues is the fact that my map is very vertical, I would like to prevent the zeds from falling down to the bottom, or attempting to make unreasonable jumps that lands them a considerable distance from the player. I would like to place a volume at certain points to prevent the zeds from going to these problematic spots, but I would like the player to be able to continue to move (if they fall to their death, that is their choice).

Does a volume exist for such a purpose, or how is the best way to avoid such issues?

I can email my map as it is to anyone who needs to inspect closer, but I will probably set it up on Dropbox some time soon if requested.

I think you are right Skell, but I had a feeling it might be a little bit difficult to do because there are very few instances where you would really need to block zeds and not players. Could allow for some awfully easy maps where people just create a room where zeds aren't allowed in...
Still would be useful, plus people can do it and do. So it's not like this would really change anything.

Upvote 0
I was just saying that it should have had a preset like KFZombieZoneVolume does. You should read documentation before saying no one showed you how... I use this wiki whenever I have questions. It would have taken 1 google search to find either way.

I don't disagree with you at all. But I did try numerous google searches, but unless you know the class name you are looking for, or something really close, the actual information is completely lost in a mass of unrelated results. I was searching "Killing Floor Blocking Volume for zeds and not players" but clearly that is a fairly convoluted query.

This is going to be something that I require for future searches, so if I am unsure of exactly how to shape the query, what would you recommend searching? I am well acquainted with searching Java and C++ API's, and general tips for any programming language, but when it comes to something as poorly documented as game editors, it can be a little difficult to find things that are not commonly used.

First thing I will do though is refer to that wiki, thanks for providing that link!

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with you at all. But I did try numerous google searches, but unless you know the class name you are looking for, or something really close, the actual information is completely lost in a mass of unrelated results. I was searching "Killing Floor Blocking Volume for zeds and not players" but clearly that is a fairly convoluted query.

This is going to be something that I require for future searches, so if I am unsure of exactly how to shape the query, what would you recommend searching? I am well acquainted with searching Java and C++ API's, and general tips for any programming language, but when it comes to something as poorly documented as game editors, it can be a little difficult to find things that are not commonly used.

First thing I will do though is refer to that wiki, thanks for providing that link!
I'd search up BlockingVolume and look at its parameters/options - like any programming documentation.

Really simple stuff.

Upvote 0
It's funny when I typed in "BlockingVolume documentation", this thread is the 5th link that is returned by Google (probably going to get higher if this thread gets much larger...).

The top result when querying that is related to UnrealEngine 4, which might be useful, if they have not actually changed the underlying functionality of the class too much. That being said if a single variable is named substantially differently, it could make it difficult to apply the concepts to this version of the editor.

It seems that when I simply type "BlockingVolume", entirely different results come up, with the first being http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/VolumesTutorial.html . I had a read through and it turned out to be quite helpful, but just goes to show how one word you thought would help the search parameters really turns out to further muddle things up. So annoying...

The wiki that you have provided is helpful, and I will refer to that before I post questions now, but it is still reasonably basic (checked out BlockingVolume on it, it did have what I required, but as I am not familiar with the class structure of Killing Floor, I was not aware there was a KFMoter class, which is great to know). Are there any other sites that you would recommend that I could find descent information at so as to avoid asking potentially obvious questions? The more the better, I'd assume there are sites that the more serious modders and map makers have referred to through their years designing content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems that when I simply type "BlockingVolume", entirely different results come up, with the first being http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/VolumesTutorial.html . I had a read through and it turned out to be quite helpful, but just goes to show how one word you thought would help the search parameters really turns out to further muddle things up. So annoying...
If you're implying that the article you linked doesn't say how...
bClassBlocker

When this is set to true the blocking volume will only block certain classes (defined in BlockedClasses). Classes in the list will be blocked while others won't. (v3323 and up)

Also, my search query is practically always: <thing I want to look up> unreal legacy
It always gets me the wiki I linked earlier..

Upvote 0
If you're implying that the article you linked doesn't say how...

Also, my search query is practically always: <thing I want to look up> unreal legacy
It always gets me the wiki I linked earlier..

I have no idea where you think the implication is there, I was saying that that article was helpful, and that different results had popped up by getting rid of the word "documentation" in my search. No implication at all to it not mentioning how to do it.

Upvote 0