• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Blender Sharing Thread

i would actually recommend sticking to the blender version 2.49, because blender 2.5x is beta and atm there arn't a whole lot of *working* exporters for it. now granted blender 2.5x is so much powerful and pretty but there really isn't a point to it if you have to pull off ur hair exporting( there really isn't a whole lot of exporters for 2.5x to begin with) something into KF be it .ase(static meshes) or psk/psa(Animations)... however atm i have found NO *working* PSK/PSA exporters for either 2.49( however this could just because i set the bones up wrong or somthing...) or 2.5x. so again i would highly recommend sticking with blender 2.49 there is so much more documentation with it and it has a working .ase exporter that i use regularly that works A-OK.

HOWEVER if you do happen to have 3dsMax i would just stick to learning 3dsMax rather then blender, instead of modeling/ u/v mapping with blender exporting to 3dsmax then exporting to .ase .psk/.psa that is just so inefficicent..

don't get me wrong tho hipnox, this isn't to downsize your effort or what have you, i highly appreciate your willingness to help the community =)

Upvote 0
As of right now, there isnt (and probably never will be) a plugin to export/import killing floor mesh files and animations in blender.

It one of the things that always bothered me about modding. Most plugins are for commercial programs and not many people can afford them.

Im only bringing up blender as a free solution for those who want to start modeling but cant/wont afford 3Ds max. you still need someone with access to 3Ds max to get the models in-game however (legit or otherwise).

Blender is being used more and more these days (there are already exporters/importers for Dragon Age geometry for Blender) and its also a great tool for independent developers to create models and keep costs low.

3Ds max is the better program (at least in some ways) as its price tag suggests, but blender is very, VERY powerful for a 100% free program.

as for 2.4x vs 2.5x, besides the *.3ds exporting problem, i

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually found some scrips for blender to export as .ase, but im not sure im doing it right. I wanted to get into modeling so i can make stuff for my own maps, but im sort of paranoid about pirating big programs like 3dsmax (i will not buy; the price is ridiculous). So i looked online and came up with goofoos exporter, but when i import it into killing floor the texture is not right. It's either squished or stretched; it could be a problem that i cant troubleshoot. Im just wondering if any one has successfully used blender to make models for kf.

Upvote 0
oh yea i use blender regularly for making map objects for kf. i also use goofoo's .ase exporter with blender 2.49 works like a charm =)

how does your U/V map look in blender? tried a texture with it? because whatever it looks like in blender it'll look like that in kf after Export

yeah so it looks messed up; not sure how to fix it.

render01.jpg

I also tried 3ds max and had success pretty quickly

Upvote 0