• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bleeding and Bandaging

|MP44|FritZFretZ said:
when I say bandaging, I refer to a means of stopping bleeding
I really hate to quote myself, yet it seems neccessary:
[-project.rattus-] said:
If you are so badly wounded that you can bleed to death wthin the legth of a whole game round (20 minutes), you are in no condition to fight, and thus, effectively out of the game.

Upvote 0
Hmm difficult. I would like a slightly improved damage system. Bleeding would be an idea, but for gameplay it would be nice to have some way to stop 'bleeding out' rather than watch you slowly die.

Or it could be a system where you have an invisable 'blood meter' where each shot you take slowly drains a set amount of blood. Say a leg shot drains 30% of your blood over one minute. And depending on your level of blood has certain effects. Like you slowly loose colour in your vision, slowly greying out as you near death. Meybe slower, more sluggish reactions and worse aim as it become more sevear.

Also I would like leg woulds actualy reduce the overall topspeed slightly (after the couple of seconds of really slow movement), but depending on how badly wounded your legs are, full red on both legs = really slow. Meybe limping animation. A arm shot would increase the sway of your ironsights, depending on how badly damaged your arm(s) are. and also Headshots that blur your vision slightly and more sluggish movements.

Upvote 0
nodachi said:
Also I would like leg woulds actualy reduce the overall topspeed slightly (after the couple of seconds of really slow movement), but depending on how badly wounded your legs are, full red on both legs = really slow. Meybe limping animation. A arm shot would increase the sway of your ironsights, depending on how badly damaged your arm(s) are. and also Headshots that blur your vision slightly and more sluggish movements.

Tried in the mod. Hated.

Upvote 0
Heres a compromise:
I would like to see a feature where you can survive for maybe 10-20 seconds after sustaining a "combat ending" wound.

This is more significant in say a close quarters situation where you could be wounded and immobile but have a few seconds to fire off a last round before you pass out from blood loss
There would be no bandages and no medics.

The current death effects should be used for immediate kills (eg. headshot, chest wound, serious abdominal wound).

But for wounds where you don't die immediately, they could use the blur-type effect where you can still shoot/ move but with less awareness of the outside world for 10 seconds before you untimately die.

Upvote 0
Actually I think Harry Cremaster has a good idea, I hate how in CS you and a opponent get into a close up fire fight, he kills you and he ends up with like 1 or 2 health. I wish he would just bleed to death, I think this would be good in RO for those times where you put 4 shots in the guy and he is still going (can happen with nades, pistols, or smgs). Though not immobile like Harry Cremaster posted, just bleeding for about 20-30 secs till death (still retain full movement though, might be unrealistic but thats the only way it would make it in).

Upvote 0
Heres a compromise:
I would like to see a feature where you can survive for maybe 10-20 seconds after sustaining a "combat ending" wound.

This is more significant in say a close quarters situation where you could be wounded and immobile but have a few seconds to fire off a last round before you pass out from blood loss
There would be no bandages and no medics.

I like this. I have suggested similar things many times. It's so irritating to get the drop on an enemy soldier and shoot him only to have him kill me and limp away like nothing happened.

But as far as CS-style bleeding goes... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Upvote 0
Though not immobile like Harry Cremaster posted, just bleeding for about 20-30 secs till death (still retain full movement though, might be unrealistic but thats the only way it would make it in).

I remember the days of OFP (flashpoint) where you would crawl across the map because your legs were shot. It wasn't fun. You had to carry an extra nade to off yourself.

But herein lies the beauty of dying after 20 seconds. You can still be immobile but you are only immobile for 20 seconds. You're not stuck being crippled in a distant corner of the map where you would have to suicide.

Whatever the solution is, I just don't like the fact that you "die" the nanosecond that you become a "ineffective soldier" due to wounds. You should stay alive and be mildly effective for a transition period before you "die" or become "completely ineffective".

Upvote 0
Whatever the solution is, I just don't like the fact that you "die" the nanosecond that you become a "ineffective soldier" due to wounds. You should stay alive and be mildly effective for a transition period before you "die" or become "completely ineffective".

True some wounds would be instantly fatal while others should make you become 'innefective' due to your damage. It'd be nice if that could be implemented somehow but how? And for how long? And what are the deciding factors in control of the heretosaid 'incapacitation'/damage system? Lots of guesswork involved I'm guessing :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Operation Flashpoint had a really nice mod where you could bleed out after a while from getting shot. The screen would fade in and out accompanied by a bit of redness in your view, the guy would grunt and stuff and after a reasonable time (maybe 5-10 minutes) you would die. Not sure if that needs to be added to RO but I thought it might interest you guys none the less.

Upvote 0
So I think just making the screen red a better option.

Agreed. This is pretty much how it works in Forgotten Battles / Pacific Fighters (when you are wounded, the screen slowly turns red, and the in-game text notifies you when your health has gone from "Wounded" to "Heavily Wounded," eventually succumbing to death if you don't land in time).

Upvote 0
I've posted countless times that bleeding/bandaging makes sense. Every other soldier should help another. The rest could be Americas Army style.

No, it does not. The bandages issued to front line soldiers are to stop major bleeding - not little paper cuts - so that the wounded soldier has a chance to receive more advanced medical attention. RO's kill system simulates major bleeding as kills because of that very reason.

Trust me, some of us actually have real-world experience with this.

Upvote 0