• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bleeding and Bandaging

First I looked at Witzig's compilation of threads, then I did a search. I was actually quite shocked not to find a specific thread on adding bleeding and bandaging to RO:O. So, I'd like to draw a bit of attention to this subject for TW *fingers crossed*, or more likely, the RO:O community modders, to consider.

I'm not a coder, but I have made a few useful observations that lead me to believe that a bleeding system could be quite easily and efficiently implemented. In fact, from what I've seen of the player damage system, TW seems to have tailored its detail for just this end (along with other goodies like arm/leg/head damage; each carrying its own impact on the character.:D Thanks TW!) A believably realistic bleeding system would be a welcome addition.

For the sake of immersion and playability, as a counter to bleeding, I'd imagine bandaging would be called for. I would see each player handling his own bandaging; So no, I'm not suggesting medics.

Ultimately it would be really nice to see TW insert these features as a standard server option, but a good mod would do nicely to accommodate too.;)

I realize this wouldn't be for everyone, but I am curious as to how many folks would be interested in playing on a server that had these features. Are there any RO:O realism coders out there that are considering this?

Thoughts? Feedback?

Soldiers rarely bandaged themselves, and medics werent on the front lines in eastern front. The reason why soldiers didnt bandege themselves was that they couldnt do it because of pain, and as in RO the "deaths" of soldiers are more than just deaths: sever woundings, uncounciosness and such, there wouldnt be any point on adding bandaging. IF you'd get hurt and would bandage yourself, you wouldnt be able to fight.

Upvote 0
I played that early DoD Version and I loved the bleeding too. Why? Because it fitted very well into the game and letting the enemy bleed to death was a viable tactic with some weapons.
The M1 Carbine of the allies needed several hits to kill an enemy - other rifles were as strong as rifles in RO and smgs had a way better rate of fire and a larger mag. But the M1 was more accurate...
I often shot the enemy 2 times and got into cover, nailing the enemy down, not letting him bandage his wounds (he cant shoot while doing that, so I could easily kill him if he tried) untill he died.

In Red Orchestra bleeding wouldnt be a good idea:
In most cases you die from the first hit, or at least it causes your death indirectly: If you get hit you cant get quickly to cover anymore, so you are a easy to hit target. In situations like that your only chance is to return fire as quick as possible and kill the enemy before he scores the second hit (or throw yourself in the dirt - hoping that the enemy cant see you any more).
If you manage to do so, you survive - otherwise you are dead.

In short:
Red Orchestras gameplay hardly gives you any oportunities to bandage yourself after a hit if you are still fighting (bandaging isnt done in 3 seconds). If the fight is over (and you survived a hit), bandaging has no tactical point. It could just cause you to die afterwards because you forgot or hit the button half a second too late.

Upvote 0
Not saying it would be used much, but just knowing the option is there would be nice. Myself I dont play to score usually, but I try to survive a battle with hopefully none or as few deaths as possible(THAT is realism in my opinion), so I wished there was a way to fix me up a lill bit at least.
Get bandaged or so, stop some bleedings. JUst to mention, there where numerous medics in the frontline on the eastern front, in some cases docters or fieldhospitals a couple hundred meters behind them already. And if its to bad and you cant bandage yourself, a teammate could surely do it maybe? For a veteran soldier or well trained one, theres nothing to it to see to "little" injuries of a person.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Karl Ritter said:
1/ Check your history before discussing ww2 eastern front history with me.

Well then you should know that BOTH sides intentionally shot medics on sight.

Additionally, bleeding and bandaging has no place in a realistic game. Simple: Major wound = your out of combat = dead gameplaywise.
Minor wound = you can keep on fighting = you won't bleed to death within seconds or minutes.
Medics = the treatment even of minor wounds takes minutes IRL, especially, when you treat someone who is under shock (as most wounded in a war certainly are): You have to check IF he is wounded, or just paralyzed by shock, where he is wounded and then uncover the wound before you could even think of a proper treatment.

So conclusively and boldly I state that anyone who want's any kind of bleeding and/or bandaging sytsem in a realistic game has not the slightest idea how first aid and wound treatment works.

Upvote 0
Edit: This thread is NOT about medics... please stay on subject... Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe I'm just spoiled; having played the COD series on servers that use these features... I find them very immersive. I like the idea of another soldier bandaging your wounds, but only require his assistance for the really serious stuff; I'd like the ability to bandage my own arms and legs.

It just seems odd to me that I can be shot in-game and feel absolutely no repercussions other than less health and the slowdown effect that last for a few seconds. Now, barring the implementation of physical impairments (this would be the ultimate, but would require other modifications to keep the game's playability), I'd like to see a longer lasting effect as the result of wounding. Something that, if you didn't tend to it in relatively short order, would result in your character's death.

As the game stands, the only difference between being wounded and being healthy is that the next hand-shot might kill you. Which brings up the point I'd like to make about "realism." Is it realistic to consider that last hand-shot to be fatal? I'll go ahead and answer that, "No." BUT! It is "game-realism" realistic to expect a soldier who has taken multiple wounds to exit from battle. You want "real-world" realism, we'd all be on the ground, moaning and bleeding to death with no respawns... that'd be fun. Not.

So, some arguements for realism are feasible in the game, others need to be modeled. The important bit is for the modeled parts to be believable in the "game's reality," not necessarily our own. In short, the parts of the game that model reality shouldn't have a "gamey" feel. Bleeding and bandaging add a whole new dimension to play. If done correctly, I can say as a matter of experience, it's very immersive and feels plenty plausible in the context of the game's reality.

Sure will be nice to see more mutators pop up over the next few months. I can only hope someone from the TR community will step up to the plate for this one.:)

Upvote 0
Bleeding- Yes.

Bandaging - not realistic. A soldier needing bandaging or "healing" most likely could not continue the fight.

On bleeding, I would like to see the severity of bleeding to be based on the area of the wound.

IE, soldiers with torso or head wounds would bleed out very quickly.
Soldiers with wounds of the extremities would be able to continue the fight for a long while, maybe bleed down a bit, but not to the point of death.

I know I have seen my health "avatar" if you will almost totally red and still be fighting at full strength. In reality, I should have bled to death....

Not that I enjoy bleeding out, but if you are going for the most realistic approach, bleeding must be included.

Upvote 0