• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Black screen when launching. Followed quickly by crash to desktop & Unreal Engine 4 Crash Reporter pop-up.

Riblitz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 24, 2021
Category: Code.

Reproducibility: Every attempt to launch the game from Epic Games.

Summary: Brief black screen upon launch. Followed by crash to desktop with an "Unreal Engine 4 Crash Reporter" popup.

Description: Epic Games will show Maneater as launching. The screen will turn completely black for 1-3 seconds. Then, the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Reporter sound will play and pop a window with technical information on it.

This happens every time I attempt to launch the game from Epic Games

1) Launch Epic Games
2) Launch Maneater, Epic Games will show Maneater Cloud Syncing, then Running
3) Screen goes black, Crashes to Desktop moments later.
4) Unreal Engine 4 Crash Reporter 4 "crik" sound plays and window pops up with technical information.

I have searched online for solutions to this issue. I have rebooted. I have up to date video drivers. I have ran the verify install utility in Epic Games on Maneater. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Maneater. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Epic Games App and reinstalled Maneater. I have installed UE4 Engine (Some people reported this as fixing the game). I have ran Epic Games with administrator privileges. I have ran X:\Program Files\Epic Games\Maneater\Maneater\Binaries\Win64\Maneater-Win64-Shipping.exe with administrator privileges. I have ran "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt to repair my windows installation. I have attempted to launch Maneater with disabled anti-virus.

All of these attempts to fix the problem have had no effect on the crash to desktop.

Online/Offline: N/A

Screenshot: Debug files attached. Relevant Hardware & OS Configuration contained within .xml
1614201868733.png

Thank you sincerely for your time spent reviewing this post.

If there's any else I can do to assist in solving this problem. Please, let me know,
-Danny

Attachments

• UE4CC.zip
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have found the solution for this problem. This problem affected me due to the "Windows N" version of windows 10 being installed on my system.

Maneater requires some of the codecs found in the "media feature pack" in regular window 10 installs.

After following the instructions from Microsoft to install the media feature pack. The game loads and is working perfectly...

If you all at tripwire are looking for a basic break-fix, help-desk+, IT guy. Let me know XD!

Upvote 0
I've been wanting to return to this game badly. I've 100% it long ago, but I now have a new PC which should run this game even better (it is now Jan 2024), and the game launches, gets to the menu, I click load and boom, this same error regarding an UE4 crash pops up. I've tried to do some research on ways to fix it, but to be honest, no customer should have to go download other Windows packs, or try to run as an Admin and/or assign specific CPU's to correct this issue. Devs please work to fix this issue so that the game will run on any current Windows systems (I'm currently running Win11).

Upvote 0