• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Big servers are a BIG mistake

RO should go back to 32 player servers IMO, gameplay is much better.

So go. Nothing's stopping you. The servers are still out there. 50 player servers didn't cause 32 player servers to go >poof< and vanish into thin air. I recommend Sniper group's server as a good 32 player server. I think 2MANNY's also has a smaller server still (their Annex, I think). There's a ton of other 32 player servers out there aside from these too.

Upvote 0
The main gunner usually has the least situational awareness of all in a combat engagement. When not engaged, he has the best all-around vis if popped out, but once engaged, he's practically blind to new targets.

As driver or hull gunner you do your team a great service by calling out the tanks you see. Use the vehicle voice commands for enemy in front, right, or left.

And if you're the gunner, pay attention to the driver and hull MGer if they call out a target. Consider what they would see as left or right flank, and address it asap. Otherwise you're just going to die anyway.
I was refering to that guy who commented on my example of a mg gunner on Orel, the mg gunner is useless on that map since everyone will go tanker anyway and the obvious fact that it's flat plain with no place from infrantry to hide..

Upvote 0
I was refering to that guy who commented on my example of a mg gunner on Orel, the mg gunner is useless on that map since everyone will go tanker anyway and the obvious fact that it's flat plain with no place from infrantry to hide..

:eek: Dude, Orel is my fav tank map, and I play as mg frequently. I spot enemy tanks as well as hidden infantry all the time. I kill plenty of infantry...hiding behind buildings and hills (you see Orel is NOT just flat plains as you say :confused:) . Also what about an unbuttoned TC or the driver moving around outside the tank...the tank MG is far from useless in this game on ANY map. It can also be fun and rewarding...try it sometime.:)

Upvote 0
:eek: Dude, Orel is my fav tank map, and I play as mg frequently. I spot enemy tanks as well as hidden infantry all the time. I kill plenty of infantry...hiding behind buildings and hills (you see Orel is NOT just flat plains as you say :confused:) . Also what about an unbuttoned TC or the driver moving around outside the tank...the tank MG is far from useless in this game on ANY map. It can also be fun and rewarding...try it sometime.:)
I do team tank...when it's suitable on maps like Leningrad where you need close in support. But on large tank maps that have plenty of tanks at spawn and everyone being almost tanker class, I can't see the importance of the mg gunner on these larger maps, and even then having a mg gunner on say...Arad, they still wont save your arse from panzerfausts or man-purses.

So bottom line is that MG crew support works only on close combat maps as that's the purpose they were installed in tanks for.

Upvote 0
So go. Nothing's stopping you. The servers are still out there. 50 player servers didn't cause 32 player servers to go >poof< and vanish into thin air. I recommend Sniper group's server as a good 32 player server. I think 2MANNY's also has a smaller server still (their Annex, I think). There's a ton of other 32 player servers out there aside from these too.

actually, the 50-player servers are causing some smaller servers to be shut down due to lack of traffic. I am aware of at least 2 such servers. It makes sense when you think about it.

amongst a dwindling player base, the larger serves are sucking in most of the active players at any given time/day. this, of course, is not counting empty servers with BOTs or seed players.

play on the big servers is fun, no doubt. been great playing the better maps filled with tankers. awesome, even. but, we can't ignore that there have, and will continue to be, small server casualties. there's just not that many players to keep them filled up.

it is what it is.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm really liking the new 50 slot servers, they seem to work well with most of the maps and I certainly haven't experienced any lag or performance issues as a result. This is definitely progress in my opinion, 32 slots has been around for years and it's time for a change. It's certainly a shame that some of the smaller servers may have to close as a result, but then again that's always going to happen, whether Tripwire increased the slots or not; this game has always had a population problem, it's inevitable that players will flock to the server with the most people, as that generally means better gameplay. If you don't have a server with a regular population count, then expect this sort of thing to happen.

I haven't seen all that many deserted servers since the update, definitely not as many as there used to be, so if a few have been shut down, then it basically shows they aren't really needed in the long run. Sad to say it, but that's the way it is.

I've seen a few people on this topic voice their dislike for the larger servers, that's fine, don't play them then, it certainly should not mean that we go back to the 32 limit on account of your dislikes. Having options is what really makes a good game, this is simply another option, if you don't like or want it then don't use it.

Good work Tripwire, this game gets better with every update, I'm looking forward to more.

Regards,

Zenith

Upvote 0
actually, the 50-player servers are causing some smaller servers to be shut down due to lack of traffic. I am aware of at least 2 such servers. It makes sense when you think about it.

amongst a dwindling player base, the larger serves are sucking in most of the active players at any given time/day. this, of course, is not counting empty servers with BOTs or seed players.

play on the big servers is fun, no doubt. been great playing the better maps filled with tankers. awesome, even. but, we can't ignore that there have, and will continue to be, small server casualties. there's just not that many players to keep them filled up.

it is what it is.

True, but that was the case even before the 50 player servers. People go where the bodies are, so if you had, say, five to ten full 32 player servers before the 50 player implementation, now those players have consolidated into fewer servers. But even so, there were always a TON of empty servers.

RO is just a small community by comparison with other games. I don't think the player base is shrinking, mind you, but it'd be hard to argue that RO is in the same league as some of the other major commercial FPS series out there. No biggie.

The thing that gets me, though, is that with all the people complaining about how 50 player servers are the apocalypse, you'd think there'd be enough of the complainers to populate a 32 player server or two.

Upvote 0
The thing that gets me, though, is that with all the people complaining about how 50 player servers are the apocalypse, you'd think there'd be enough of the complainers to populate a 32 player server or two.

Never a truer word said mate. It seems to me that you could release the best update the in world, and someone would always complain about it! It also strikes me as odd that people are having problems playing on 50 slot servers, seriously, if you've got a good line/computer then there should be no performance issues, if you don't well there's your answer; time to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Never a truer word said mate. It seems to me that you could release the best update the in world, and someone would always complain about it! It also strikes me as odd that people are having problems playing on 50 slot servers, seriously, if you've got a good line/computer then there should be no performance issues, if you don't well there's your answer; time to upgrade.

I have a

Upvote 0
True, but that was the case even before the 50 player servers. People go where the bodies are, so if you had, say, five to ten full 32 player servers before the 50 player implementation, now those players have consolidated into fewer servers. But even so, there were always a TON of empty servers.
RO is just a small community by comparison with other games. I don't think the player base is shrinking, mind you, but it'd be hard to argue that RO is in the same league as some of the other major commercial FPS series out there. No biggie.

I was not complaining (as perhaps others might have), I was merely stating facts. which, is my usual prose here. :)

Upvote 0

Which servers where shut due lack of traffic and where these specific servers well filled before the 50 servers appeared ?

There are enough servers which haven't seen traffic at all or did have only a few players from RO day 1.

Solo4114 got a good point All the people who don't like the fifty servers
can fill the 32 and the problem is gone.

I like both setups but prefer the 50 servers. When your nerves needs a little rest i jump a smaller server.

Upvote 0
Which servers where shut due lack of traffic and where these specific servers well filled before the 50 servers appeared ?

There are enough servers which haven't seen traffic at all or did have only a few players from RO day 1.

the FLOT 32-man server was recently shut, and one other one that is escaping me right now (apologies). Both cited recent drop offs in players. I will try and find the info on the other.

I like the 50-man servers, personally, for playing on. What I am saying is, they are indeed causing other servers to shut down. that's just that way it is.

Upvote 0
the FLOT 32-man server was recently shut, and one other one that is escaping me right now (apologies). Both cited recent drop offs in players. I will try and find the info on the other.

Now i never did play on that FLOT server, but i don't think the FLOT server was closed cause of the big servers. I'm convinced you are aware of that.
You need a link ?

Any good community with a good number of RO players can run a 32 server and keep it filled. All that community takes is a decent number of members
who plays Red Orchestra. Now there the problem starts. There are a lot of servers and communities. Only a few of them can fill the server with regulars. To many communities just don't have enough regular people who play RO.

So blaming 50 servers don't make sense.

Upvote 0
Now i never did play on that FLOT server, but i don't think the FLOT server was closed cause of the big servers. I'm convinced you are aware of that.
You need a link ?

Any good community with a good number of RO players can run a 32 server and keep it filled. All that community takes is a decent number of members
who plays Red Orchestra. Now there the problem starts. There are a lot of servers and communities. Only a few of them can fill the server with regulars. To many communities just don't have enough regular people who play RO.

So blaming 50 servers don't make sense.

I agree DRECKS, from what I have read about the FLOT server, it was not the 50 player ones that caused it to close. I am aware of at least one link also.......

I am also aware that there are some 50 player servers that are empty some nights, then the next they are full. Now I am sure that when those 50 player servers are emtpty, they are not pulling players away from 32 player servers.

The vast majority, 70%-80% or more of all RO servers I have ever seen in my server browser have always been empty when I have at any one time. That was before and after the 50 player servers arrived.

Connection issues or lag issues are unfortunate. My computer is well over 4 years old (with a 2 year old vid card). An over played server that can't handle the higher number of players is one thing. Other issues that may involve lag suffered by a particular player but not most of the other players can't really be blamed on the server. Could be a number of reasons including the player's own ISP. I rarely if ever suffer lag or connection problems unless I jump on a server that already has around a 250 ping or more.

Upvote 0
I was not complaining (as perhaps others might have), I was merely stating facts. which, is my usual prose here. :)

No prob. I didn't think you were actually complaining. And for the record, I have no problem with anyone making complaints, up to a point. That point is usually (a) when the devs have said "Too bad. we're not changing it", or (b) when there's an easy alternative out there like going to another server or creating a mod rather than demanding that the devs do XYZ.

In this case, I think the discussion's mostly run its course. People who don't like 50 player servers don't have to play on them. I think most people would acknowledge that we need more maps designed for 40+ players (most 32 player maps can handle just shy of 40 before getting problematic if they're going to be a problem at all).

As for FLOT closing down, hell, that could just be a question of economics. They might've had full servers and still said "Whoa...we can't afford this place". The lower numbers just speed up when you get to that point so it becomes "Whoa...we have no players, and this is expensive. why are we doing this again?"

As I said, there've always been more servers than players. I'm surprised we have as many as we do, frankly.

Upvote 0