• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release Better Realism Weapons Mutator

[...]

Let's not forget most of these soldiers are carrying over 60lbs of gear, they shouldn't be able to do a full sprint. This is considering not only that the weight is a factor but also that it's extremely clumsy carrying all that gear, making movement more difficult and uncomfortable. [...]

Maybe you are thinking of the full gear issued to infantry soldiers. That included two extra uniforms, greatcoat, tent, tarp, and extra boots. Including personal belongings all of this together weighed about 30 kg (~60lbs).

But the soldiers never carried that in combat, they hardly ever carried that during marches. The baggage train carried most of it for them.

During marches they carried their "Sturmgep

Upvote 0
Maybe the speed problem could be solved by dibbler67 :D

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92324&page=11

Things accomplished this weekend:

-Audio feedback when giving ammo

-Metallic ladder climbing sound

-New equipment rattle sounds for movement

-Implemented Ducky's new WebAdmin Settings template ( found here) (thanks Ducky!)

-No Zoom mod is fully functional in servers now, and can in fact be toggled in real time by an admin through the WebAdmin

-Other settings functional through WebAdmin, although they don't take effect right away (require reloading the map, it seems)

-Dynamic movement speed reduction based on terrain material (Snow is the only one so far) AND rate of climb.

-New Headshot effect coming along.

-Further commenting/documentation

I really hoped to push something out for y'all to try but unfortunately I didn't have the time.

However I'll be home Thursday this week so I'll have some more time to work on this. :)

But I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More stamina dependent sprint speed would be OK for me. I could also get along with more sway, I liked it how you had to rest your rifle on something to be able to shoot accurately on long distances in RO1.

If really more speed would be bad for teamplay - I don't think that's much of an issue. From my observation I think much more important is good communication. On some servers nearly everyone is quiet. It nearly feels like you play against bots, if it were not for the text chat. I have that feeling regardless which mode is on.

On other servers there is a lot of good communication, especially from the commanders - informing about recon, ordering what to attack first, asking for specific coordinates, informing how many arty strikes are left, asking SL's for smoke... I have seen lots of very good teamplay on realism, the speed sometimes added to the blitzkrieg feeling if your team is well organized and can steamroll the enemy very fast.

[...]
But when you have slower movement, not too slow but not too fast, your team could better stick together, you have to wait for smoke before you can cross a open field, or you have to sprint/jump from cover to cover.

I do not want to open another can of worms, but with good communications the best way to stick together and work as a team is 'Spawn on SL.' It often felt great as an SL to actually work together with your squad. For me it is not a betrayal of RO1, because RO1 also had its funny spawn bunkers on some custom maps where you magically teleported from a bunker to an exit on a completely different location.

[...]
And now back to the speed ;)

I would like to see dibblers terrain dependent mod working (a shame that TWI haven

Upvote 0
Oh, of course, tripwire has done a good job. RO2 is a nice looking game with a lot of potential.
but it is frustrating that there is nearly no new stuff for the eastern front since 2 years.

And than there are some modder, without any big team and they are able to improve the game so much, just with little changes. I'm sure tripwire has more manpower for something like that, and they have create the game, doesn't they know at best how the game works, and what is possible.

Tripwire is a small but great team, so why there are no official changes like this ?? We could use the RO beta game in steam to test things like that before it will be integrade in the official game.

That is what I can't understand, so I'm a little bit dissapointed.

Upvote 0
I would be all for having enough sprint to make it across a (say) Saipan sized street before slowing to the classic sprint speed.

However I don't want that awful slow sprint speed if the animations stay the same. Nothing screams immersion breaker like a soldier slowly, very slowly, hovering in the air as the move to take that next step. The sprinting animations are made for realistic + full stamina, if you want to change it significantly either make a new animation or... just leave it alone.

Upvote 0
I have now released a version for online server testing. Please let me know if it works; we are trying a new code developed by Dibbler to see if this will run on the client as well as server.

Please note: this new code takes considerable time to convert to, so Rising Storm weapons are being put on the backburner until we know that this mod will work online (after that I'll update them and we'll have a near-final release!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have now released a version for online server testing. Please let me know if it works; we are trying a new code developed by Dibbler to see if this will run on the client as well as server.

Please note: this new code takes considerable time to convert to, so Rising Storm weapons are being put on the backburner until we know that this mod will work online (after that I'll update them and we'll have a near-final release!)

Where can we try it?

Upvote 0
Great job and I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

I also have a question about weapon handling and how much you can mess with stock settings. Is there any way to alter weapon sway effect so that it looks more like your hands are shaking because of fear, adrenaline, etc? As in, you've just sprinted across the street, while being fired on, entered an occupied building and you hear someone upstairs talking in a language you don't understand.

Can you adjust the "rate" of sway in the same way you can adjust the "amount" of sway or is there just one setting?

Upvote 0
Great job and I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

I also have a question about weapon handling and how much you can mess with stock settings. Is there any way to alter weapon sway effect so that it looks more like your hands are shaking because of fear, adrenaline, etc? As in, you've just sprinted across the street, while being fired on, entered an occupied building and you hear someone upstairs talking in a language you don't understand.

Can you adjust the "rate" of sway in the same way you can adjust the "amount" of sway or is there just one setting?

There are lots of parameters to tweaking sway (speed, amount etc..), and Tripwire has already coded variables for when exhausted, but their sway is very little.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0