• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release Better Realism Weapons Mutator

I'm not a fan of prototype weapons in RO, but I wouldn't remove the AVT or Mkb from the game.

I think It's much better to let the mapper decide which roles he want to have on his map, and which weapon they are able to use.

I think that's the way it was in RO Ostfront.

I would like to see a as far as realistic created weapon mod for RO. And sometimes with some customization, because of a better feeling. More recoil, more sway and no zoom is a good beginning for a better realism feeling of RO gameplay for me.

But please don't remove any weapon, let the mapper do this job for you ;)

And when the AVT become useless with full auto, adnd this is historical, than it is okay to simulate this. My opinion. When I play with the AVT or Mkb, I set them both to semi fire, maybe normal full auto fire for the Mkb in close combat.

Upvote 0
I think the MKB handeling in the mod is pretty good, it's still effective in short ranges in FA and decent in mid ranges in SA, but it's harder to out duel a rifle at longer ranges. You can certainly lay down suppressive fire, but it's much harder to hit half a helmet peeking out than it was.

Upvote 0
Indeed, the MkB is represented as having lower accuracy (~8 MoA) because of it's Open-Bolt design. If it had fired from a Closed Bolt, like an StG-44, I would've made it more accurate (~3-5 MoA.) This difference won't affect it's performance against targets in the open, but if you're trying to shoot pixel heads at over 150m then it'll be a bit noticeable.

In any case, though I did implement the weapon to my best effort, it likely will not be available by default.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, the MkB is represented as having lower accuracy (~8 MoA) because of it's Open-Bolt design. If it had fired from a Closed Bolt, like an StG-44, I would've made it more accurate (~3-5 MoA.) This difference won't affect it's performance against targets in the open, but if you're trying to shoot pixel heads at over 150m then it'll be a bit noticeable.

In any case, though I did implement the weapon to my best effort, it likely will not be available by default.

WW2 NAZI StG 44 SturmGewehr- Shooting Demo (slomo) - YouTube

Maybe you know that Video :D StG in SlowMo :D

Upvote 0
I have been unable to get these mutators to launch through the start command line. The only way I can get them working on my server is to launch them through a manual map change by putting the mutator in as an additional URL.

Also it seems the BetterRealism_RS will show up in the mutator list on the map change section which makes selecting it a little easier. However BetterRealism does not show on that list which is a little strange.

Anyway I thought you might want to get that fixed at some point.

Have updated the Aussie / NZ mutator test server with the latest version also.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of prototype weapons in RO, but I wouldn't remove the AVT or Mkb from the game...

...But please don't remove any weapon, let the mapper do this job for you ;
This might make sense for custom maps which represent the late war, but in the default RO2 maps, the mappers have chosen to represent the Battle of Stalingrad. We already know that weapons like the G-41, AVT, and Mkb did not appear in Stalingrad, or in infinitesimally small numbers which aren't worth including. So basically, the mappers made their decision and including those weapons doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0
Actually the G41 was in Stalingrad. It's in various pictures, including the picture I used for this mod's Steamworks image, of soldiers at the Tractor Factory which one man is holding a G41(w).

The AVT-40 was also *possibly* there, but the probability of it being there is barely better than the MkB42 (one thing you could say is it's hard to tell the difference between AVT-40 and SVT-40.)
In any case the AVT and MkB availability will be changed in the Mutator, but the G41(w) will stay (just not the 4x Scope version.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This might make sense for custom maps which represent the late war, but in the default RO2 maps, the mappers have chosen to represent the Battle of Stalingrad. We already know that weapons like the G-41, AVT, and Mkb did not appear in Stalingrad, or in infinitesimally small numbers which aren't worth including. So basically, the mappers made their decision and including those weapons doesn't make sense.

What

Upvote 0
Got around to trying your mod Panzer, and I must say that it is quite nice! :D

I have yet to try every single weapon with this mod, but those that I have (bolt-actions and SMGs) feel great. I may come back with further comment on the others.

I do have to say this though: ugh Classic movement speed why?!?!? It just feels like a punishment to try moving anywhere while sprinting. I do hope you seriously consider using base Realism movement speed for the mod.

I look forward to seeing this being put to the test on a multi-player server.

Upvote 0
I do have to say this though: ugh Classic movement speed why?!?!? It just feels like a punishment to try moving anywhere while sprinting. I do hope you seriously consider using base Realism movement speed for the mod.

Hahah, boy you should've heard our server admin moan when this was the only element of the mod that worked online straight off the bat. Ugh, such a horrible feature, and it breaks the running animations too (low stamina sprint = running on an Omni!)

Upvote 0
Yes, Classic is slower than Realism movement speed at rank 0. However in the upcoming release I'm using a speed that is halfway between both.

Let's not forget most of these soldiers are carrying over 60lbs of gear, they shouldn't be able to do a full sprint. This is considering not only that the weight is a factor but also that it's extremely clumsy carrying all that gear, making movement more difficult and uncomfortable.

The mod is hopefully going to be able to work on servers, and I was hoping to release within the weekend, but it may have to be delayed until the end of next week. I am re-organizing the mod so that it will work with a coding method Dibbler recently developed that will function on servers :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remember Classic speed will be increased in the upcoming beta..

in some month... maybe...

I do not have a timetable at this time. As the team is finishing up the latest KF update, we are started to assign people to other other projects. It really depends on how this goes.

So I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, Classic is slower than Realism movement speed at rank 0. However in the upcoming release I'm using a speed that is halfway between both.

Let's not forget most of these soldiers are carrying over 60lbs of gear, they shouldn't be able to do a full sprint. This is considering not only that the weight is a factor but also that it's extremely clumsy carrying all that gear, making movement more difficult and uncomfortable.

The mod is hopefully going to be able to work on servers, and I was hoping to release within the weekend, but it may have to be delayed until the end of next week. I am re-organizing the mod so that it will work with a coding method Dibbler recently developed that will function on servers :)
This sounds too good to be true and a perfect compromise to put it halfway between Classic and Realism. This Mod sounds awesome and I hope it will spread like a virus and change RO/RS for the better for all.
I'll surely try it out soon.

Upvote 0