• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release Better Realism Weapons Mutator

Panzer Jager '43

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
You can currently find this on the Steam workshop.
I am planning a release for Rising Storm as soon as compiling / mod tools are released!

Basic changes of the Mutator:

Reconfigures all weapons in many ways to provide even more realism.
Recommended to use in Classic gamemode, but still functional in Realism.

At the moment the only testing I managed to do was offline, it would be great to know if this works online as well.
To server hosts, please let me know if this mutator does NOT work online and I will look into resolving the issue.

===============
Weapon changes:
===============
-More recoil, and of more realistic amount (calculated using projectile weight, velocity, powder charge, and weapon weight. Also includes slight reduction factors when taking into account vertical grips on the weapon, and cover.)

-More realistic weapon accuracy (using real-world weapon Minute of Arc values; this mostly affects SMGs, Pistols, and Machine Guns, with little effect on Rifles.)

-Slightly modified damage system (Tripwire's was pretty good, but I used Terminal Ballistics calculation to produce more accurate values. Calculated using projectile energy, diameter of bullet, amount of yawing in tissue, and penetration depth.)

-More weapon swaying in ironsights, be sure to use cover or otherwise watch your stamina!

-More realistic ammunition load-outs; Soldiers will now spawn with the correct amount of ammo (for example, that means you only get 2 magazines with Pistols!)

================
Gameplay changes:
================
-Disabled progression bonuses to both the Class and Weapon (no more magically super-speed humans.) In Realism mode you can still use unlocked Items / Attachments, but they will no longer receive benefits such as reduced recoil or faster reload speed etc..

-Realism-style zooming in Classic (to enable long-range engagements.)

-Classic-style movement in Realism (makes game more challenging and slows the pace for better tactical gameplay.)

-Squad Leaders in Classic have SMGs instead of Bolt-Action Rifles

Last edited:
Removing pistol from SL was not actually something I did, it is a consequence of how Roles are able to be Mutated in a mod.

It's extremely complicated and at the moment, there is no known way that I can actually modify existing Roles. So instead, I replaced the Classic Squad Leader (who has Bolt Rifles + Pistol) with the Realism Squad Leader (who has SMG only.)

I would love to be able to modify Roles, anyone who knows anything about it please share! There is a lot that I would change if I was capable of it.

p.s. in Rising Storm the Realism Squad Leaders will have SMG + Pistol, so when the Mutator makes it to that game, we won't have to worry about that specific issue. Also in the Rising Storm release of my mod I will be doing something to appeal the no-Zoom lovers :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-More realistic weapon accuracy (using real-world weapon Minute of Arc values; this mostly affects SMGs, Pistols, and Machine Guns, with little effect on Rifles.)

What does it really mean? SMGs, pistols and MGs are more accurate?

-Disabled progression bonuses to both the Class and Weapon (no more magically super-speed humans.) In Realism mode you can still use unlocked Items / Attachments, but they will no longer receive benefits such as reduced recoil or faster reload speed etc..
I don't ask you do to that, but do you think it is possible to disable specific weapon unlock? For example, only allow MG34 lvl 0 and lvl 50 unlock and block lvl 25 double drum mag MG34?

EDIT : Thank you for the answers below

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What does it really mean? SMGs, pistols and MGs are more accurate?

I don't ask you do to that, but do you think it is possible to disable specific weapon unlock? For example, only allow MG34 lvl 0 and lvl 50 unlock and block lvl 25 double drum mag MG34?

1. SMG's and Pistols now shoot ~22 MoA, in RO2 they're ~36 MoA. So they are more accurate in single shots.
LMG's however now shoot ~12 MoA, where in RO2 they shot ~0.5 MoA. They are now less accurate.
Additionally Rifles are now ~2.5 MoA, but in the default game they shot ~1 MoA. This difference won't be easy to notice as 2.5 MoA is still accurate up to 1000m.

2. I can't do that until I can edit Roles themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, tried this out and love it (+ sound mod of course!)

This should become the server default, it's really great.

Comments. Regarding aiming, could we have... a couple of seconds where any sway we have is also given to the ironsights so they lose alignment (much like when you look around when ironsighted, the gun points off screen centre and goes party side on). I'm not talking much, just not a 100% perfect sight picture. This misalignment could also be stuck on if stamina was below 30% or even lower than that.

Why? 1) This stops snap shooting. 2) Promotes slower gameplay 3) Makes the Sniper more dangerous as the scope is far more accurate with misalignment than an ironsight is.

Upvote 0
Yep, tried this out and love it (+ sound mod of course!)

This should become the server default, it's really great.

Comments. Regarding aiming, could we have... a couple of seconds where any sway we have is also given to the ironsights so they lose alignment (much like when you look around when ironsighted, the gun points off screen centre and goes party side on). I'm not talking much, just not a 100% perfect sight picture. This misalignment could also be stuck on if stamina was below 30% or even lower than that.

Why? 1) This stops snap shooting. 2) Promotes slower gameplay 3) Makes the Sniper more dangerous as the scope is far more accurate with misalignment than an ironsight is.

+1. Also would it be hard to have the weapon not be in the center when you go into IS?

Upvote 0
Panzer Jager, I'd be very interested to hear how you managed to so drastically alter the weapons' characteristics. I should be able to swap WeaponAttachment classes the same way, and this would solve the inconsistent crack effects in the Sound Mutator AND allow the replacement of weapon sounds (louder, with delay, or just plain new.) Two birds with one stone!

Would you mind sending me the source or giving me permission to export it? PM me either way.

Upvote 0