• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Preload?

I know it's been stated that the game will be available for preload on steam before the released to avoid the overflow of downloads at once as well as last minute downloading..

Does anyone know if there will be an option to preload the beta when it is announced?

Not entirely sure. But with the way things are looking, the download servers are going to get hit hard either way.

Fingers crossed they'll allow a preload during the 24hrs notice.

Upvote 0
Actually I don't see the need of that. It's a beta, so whats the difference? When the game goes live, I agree, but for a beta it's pointless

its not really pointless
if we feel like we want to get the most out of our DDE purchase and not miss out on any time

further more, in some less fortunate parts of the world (ie Canada) we have limited bandwidth and have to plan our downloads accordingly
In my situation I'd like a preload so I can go to my school library and use their bandwidth the day before

I'd rather not go do that the day of considering it will most likely take me all day.
Especially with busy schedules it'd some people would like to have a little more time to plan their beta download

Reactions: cucamonster
Upvote 0
its not really pointless
if we feel like we want to get the most out of our DDE purchase and not miss out on any time

further more, in some less fortunate parts of the world (ie Canada) we have limited bandwidth and have to plan our downloads accordingly
In my situation I'd like a preload so I can go to my school library and use their bandwidth the day before

I'd rather not go do that the day of considering it will most likely take me all day.
Especially with busy schedules it'd some people would like to have a little more time to plan their beta download
What's your supplier? I got Bell and the limit is like 100 GB

Upvote 0
Actually I don't see the need of that. It's a beta, so whats the difference? When the game goes live, I agree, but for a beta it's pointless

Its a curtesy to those with slower connections as well As avoiding potentially slow downloads due to a massive amount of people downloading as soon as the beta is launched . Granted I think STEAM is robust enough to handle the numbers who preordered but I have no figures to back that up.

It's zeitgeist . Everyone wants to be part of an event and no one likes sitting on a slow download while their friends are already playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its not really pointless

Odd, I never had issues with bandwidth restrictions on my internet account back in Canada, though I was in Halifax at the time with BellAliant and Eastlink before that... never had an issue.

I'm kind of conflicted about a pre-download.

Having a Pre-Download would help ensure people won't cut too much into their possible playtime of the Beta, but at the same time, not having one could be a good thing:

If it bogs down Steam, then everybody would be affected, then everybody would come onto the Steam Forums complaining and moaning, wondering wtf is going on and why things are so slow...... the response would be "People are downloading Red Orchestra 2" ~ And they'd think to themselves, "Well a lot of people are downloading it, it must be pretty good" and then possibly get more people aware of the game & buy it :IS2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Matkailija
Upvote 0
Do you guys even hear yourselves? TWI is trying to get the beta to us as soon as they consider it's ready for release (meaning it's still not like that). Pre-loading can only occur when something has already gone gold and they're just twiddling their thumbs until release date.

So no, bar some miracle that they are actually sitting on the Final Phase beta files RIGHT NOW, there's little to no chance there can be a preload, it's just not logically feasible.

Upvote 0