• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Beta 5 Release] RO-Berezina

The map is far from optimized so I would hope that it will eventually perform better server-side. A few new tweaks on the way but we are tied up with some other priorities/deadlines to release anything new right now. Tractor Works is ready as beta6 with additional spawns for 50 players. I need to alter some assault class player counts and it should be ready if TWI would approve it.

Upvote 0
I need to alter some assault class player counts and it should be ready if TWI would approve it.

Why does tripwire have to approve it? After all it's your map, so unless they are releasing it on steam I see no need for them to approve it. Also it's not like their taking their time with the patch to get the map contest winners ready for release. Because that would be crazy...

... or would it?

Upvote 0
My understanding is that TWI has to approve what maps Butch runs. They are testing performance, not how specific maps 'play'. They ran Berezina this weekend as a bigger, vehicle inclusive map and I have heard and read that it did well.

ANY map moving to a 50 player server will have to be reworked. I would expect mappers to be forced to come up with RO-Mapname-50.rom files just for these servers. Berezina as one example would need some tweaking in numbers. I would never add more tanks. Maybe another HT or two depending on the spawn region. Time will tell. Personally I am sick to death of working on the map and couldn't care less if I never spent another minute on it. Seriously.

As for TractorWorks, what spawn bugs??? Beta5 is on AHz3. What was to be a 'final' is ready to roll out and I would gladly release it as Beta6 for Butch if they got the approval to test it on the 50. Again, need to wait for word. Otherwise, I may go for a 'final' release this week anyway. I love the map.

Upvote 0
Yes Slyk you are correct I believe that any mapper who wants to release a 32+ player map will have to re-look at Spawn numbers and placement plus increasing the weapons or Class numbers available in a map.

They may also have to look at some better optimisation on a bigger player version.

A 50 player server as TWI are finding out does play a lot more frantically and re-inforcements do disappear at an alarming level on some maps but again this is because many players are not taking care with way they play in some maps but some maps simply don't have enough to go the full intended course on a 50 man server.

Only time will tell as at the moment the test server is the only one running such numbers but come release day I expect a lot of RO Admins to try this code out and increase their server sizes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Especially when assaulting the 2nd line, Germans in Tanks and Halftracks...

FLANK FLANK FLANK!!!!

You have a chance to get closer before being spotted. You open yourself up (usually) to less Russian fire. Tankers, you have a better chance at getting a side shot in on the heavier Russian tanks. Infantry in halftracks, you can usually at least get into the south trenches and capture them, offering a better chance to assualt the 2nd line from two sides, the south and west. Don't forget flanking over the Bridge towards the North Farm before attacking the 2nd line from the north. That means you can hit the 2nd line from up to three sides!!!!!

And please, For The Love Of God, don't sit silhouetted on the hill near the 1st line and get all shot up by the heavier Russian tanks. It's almost always pointless and precisely what the Russian tankers want you to do.

Upvote 0
I have been screaming this from beta1 here and on servers. The PzIV especially should be going with some HTs to flank from the south, for both attacking the farm and the 2nd line. The PzIIIs should definately be getting up, over and down the 1st line ridge as fast as possible. Better yet, mixing up their assaults from frontal to flank. Getting on the north flank is a great position and the PzIIIs should continue to close the distance with the KVs. The closer you are, the less angle the KV has to turn his turret. Cut down the angles! Never ever should a PzIV camp the ridge tops, flank, hide and support your HT troopers.

The key to the map is capping the 1st line, Farm, and 2nd Line as fast as possible. After that, the Germans can totally control the flow of battle. Just because servers start running 50 slots will not change the tactics/strategy required. It only gives you more men to hit the same spots and still requires coordinated arty, armor support and feet in the trench lines.

Upvote 0
That will be a mapper choice. The 'final' version of Berezina will be for up to X as all I will do is add more spawns and maybe an extra HT here and there. I will not be adding more tanks or upping a lot of role counts. I think it plays fine as it is in that regard and puts more riflemen in the line as it should be. In the end, it is up to the mappers to decide what they want to do, but in most cases an RO-MapnameX_50 is a good option.

Upvote 0
Good choices, Slyk. The map already is PLENTY big enough for a 50 player battle and has more than enough tanks. If anything, leaving the armor ratios where they are would be more realistic in terms of numbers.

And yes, flanking is the way to go for the Germans. Or a combined flank and "up the center" approach to divide the Russians' attention. Don't forget your artillery, either. Even if you kill no one, it screws with the enemy's aim.

Upvote 0
Had a really good round the other day, may have been on the wild bunch server, with 50 people!

The best teamwork from both sides was at the AT guns, 3 tanks and a half track attacked the russian AT guns. The HT crew bailing quick when in range of the guns and supressing the AT gunners (with mg fire as well!). The tanks then moved in and blasted the gun pits with HE rounds. The infantry moved in before the russian players had a chance to retake the guns. The tanks had moved forward and the russians were forced to make a rather rushed defence of the west bank which soon crumbled.

However the russian squad leader and cleverly saved some arty and gave the russian side some time and space to get into position.

I think alot of players have no got over camping the ridges and most russian tankerrs have learnt not to move up and learnt about the tank bunkers.

Upvote 0
With the testing going on at The Wild Bunch 50 slot server i digged up the Wateverovko map from my hard disc.
Maybe you remember that map which got praised by a certain part of this community for it's remarkable
historical accurate name.
Had a little chat with TWB Butch Cassidy for a while and Wateverovko is now in the works
to get ready for 50 players. It will have more changes as i never liked the capsequence.
Oooh i guess the name will change to...... Might name it Wateverovko_50

Upvote 0