• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Beta 4 Release] RO-Berezina

Slyk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
www.after-hourz.com
berezinabeta4.jpg

Download: www.after-hourz.com/misc/slyk/ro/beta/RO-Berezina_beta4.zip

Updated Readme file:

***** README *****

RO-Berezina_Beta4
October 24, 2006
by: Mark 'Slyk' Dittman

email: [email protected]
www.after-hourz.com/forum

(c) 2006. NO PART OF THIS PACKAGE MAY BE ALTERED IN ANY WAY FOR ANY PURPOSE.

=============================================
CHANGE LOG: BETA 4
++ BT7 PROTOTYPE is still under development. I apologize for the long delay. It involves a number of factors.
++ FULL BOT SUPPORT is now in place. The German players may become stuck is a huge traffic jam in one of two locations. (1) exiting the 'Crossroads' toward the First Line. (2) Around the 'Farm' cap zone. Feedback welcome.
++ Russian bots will occasionly clump in '2nd Line' tunnel spawn rooms until you distrub them, then they kick your butt mercilessly. I have found on consistant fix.
++ Terrain work on far west end of map. Added new terrain actor and made the area more 'realistic'.
++ Numerous terrain edits to smooth areas and improve flow.
++ NEW edition to tunnels at '2nd Line'. Added a new spawn room. Tweaked the spawn protection minefields around that area.
++ Fixed a minefield bug that prohibited Russians from entering the 'Outpost/Crossroads' area at round start.
++ Fixed/limited the ability to teleport through CP roof from inside attic to top of roof.

++ SPECIAL THANK YOU TO RAMM FOR ASSISTING IN KICK-STARTING THE BOT PATHING FOR BETA4. "THANK YOU!".

CHANGE LOG: BETA 3
++ BT7 PROTOTYPE still under development! The T60 is being used as the base prototype for the BT7. This model has all of the characteristics of the BT7 and only LOOKS like the T60.
++ The team is further behind than expected on the BT7 and a 45mm AT gun for the Russians. This beta version will be the final play-balance test and new models will debut in the 'final'.
++ BT7 files MUST be installed to the /Common/Red Orchestra/System directory!!!

- Additional spawn protection zones implemented for both sides depending on situation.
- Players who are IN a protection zone when it activates WILL NOT be killed. If you leave and re-enter/enter a zone, you WILL DIE! You have 15 seconds to get out. There is no excuse for dying from this event.
- Reduced the 'First Defense Line' cap zone. It now covers the two main trench positions and can not be capped via vehicles. Infantry or tankers must dismount and occupy the position.
- Reduced the 'Second Defense Line' cap zone. It now follows the contour of the trench system more closely and can NOT be capped from a vehcile. Players must dismount and enter the zone on foot.
- German Engineer class now has choice of weapons, Kar98 or MP40.
- Adjusted tank spawn count for Russians. Corrected oversight on BT7 spawns/counts. Rebalanced in proportion to KVs.
- Adjusted final Russian tank spawn. Now two (2) locations with five (5) tank spawns each instead of one (1) with eight (8).
- Various changes to details.
- Attempted to better optimize the level with additional bsp blocking walls under terrain and changes to zones.
- Added water sounds to main river.
- Removed the boxes from the CP attic where they allowed an exploit leading to the roof.
- Minor adjustments to vehicle spawn locations and some player spawns.
- Leveled wheat field on west bank near river after wasting too many hours trying to angle terrain and the static mesh! aaagggghhhhh!

CHANGE LOG: BETA 2
++ BT7 PROTOTYPE ADDED! The T60 is being used as the base prototype for the BT7. This model has all of the characteristics of the BT7 and only LOOKS like the T60.
++ BT7 files MUST be installed to the /Common/Red Orchestra/System directory!!!

- NO BOT SUPPORT. They do not work.
- Repaired terrain errors/holes on east river bank rifle pits.
- Replaced most deco-layer wheat with static mesh wheat- Collective Farm fields.
- Collective Farm Capzone is now inside only, including the 'U' open ground at the well.
- Second Defesne Line Capzone is modified, smaller, encompasses all trench works.
- Village CP Capzone is now entirely inside the main house/CP.
- 'No Artillery' volumes added to cover all vehicle spawns.
- Spawn protection added over exposed positions, some minefields added to restrict enemy.
- North Road disabled KV tank: water added to better simulate 'stuck'.
- Improved optimization with zones and zone portals.
- Adjusted cull distance on eye-candy statics.
- Various terrain smoothing, painting, etc.

German Team changes:
- Additional Halftracks added to most German spawn locations.
- Tanker Crew now only carry pistol.
- Engineers now carry only Kar98, not MP40.

Russian Team changes:
- Russian reinforcements increased to 280 (beta1 = 240).
- Russian tankers: 'Crew' now only carry pistol.
- Engineers now carry M38 rifle in place of SMG.

================================================
Beta 1 Notes:
================================================
- NO Bot support. Bots may be added in future releases.
- AHz is working on development of a BT7 light tank for the Russian forces. This will be added in future releases. At this time there are TWO KV1 tanks for the Russians.
- VEHICLE spawns are LIMITED. 18 per vehicle, per location for German. 6 per vehicle per location for Russian. DO NOT WASTE THEM! Play smart.
- KV1s are DEFENSIVE weapons. Do not lead assaults with them. You have too few!
- Reinforcement levels:
- German = 600
- Russian = 240
- Known issues:
- Cover may be sparse in areas. Use combined arms when possible. Rely on smoke and artillery support. Public feedback will dictate modifications for future releases.
- Bot support. There is none.
- Spawn protection. None. May be added at in beta2.

==============================================
Scenario Background:
==============================================

Late June/early July 1941

"Operation Barbarossa" has been underway for barely 10 days. German armored forces have taken Minsk, surrounded hundreds of thousands of Russian soldiers, destroyed countless thousands of vehicles and are poised to strike toward Smolensk. The first major obstacle in Army Group Center's front is the Berezina River and it's rallied defenders. To reach Smolensk, and ultimately Moscow, it is vital to cross the Berezina as soon as possible. Russian 4th an 20th Army units rallied in various locations on both banks of the Berezina, and offered stiff resistance in several areas. Outgunned and out numbered at almost every turn, the RKKA stands firm.

In this scenario, only time is on the side of the Russian forces. Outnumbered at nearly 3 to 1 in infantry and more than 3 to 1 in armor, the Russian forces should do their best to hold each defensive position until lost. Recapture is out of the question on the majority of the map. Do not waste vital strength in counter-attacks. Only the village and AT gun objectives can be re-taken. It may be worth some lives to hold these two areas if attrition of German forces can be high. As a last ditch effort, fall back to the East Bank of the Berezina and hold.

German forces should seek to advance as fast as possible to gain as much ground as possible before the Russians can solidify a defense. Flank the defensive positions whenever possible. Frontal assaults will be very costly and may waste every opportunity for victory. You have one hour to secure a bridgehead on the East Bank. Get moving.

Either side can win the day, but it will demand teamwork and coordination of armor, transport, artillery and willing infantry.

I personally expected a Gaz truck. Fortunately, we have one made for UO that can be ported. It wouldn't take long at all, we sat on that for other work and to see what this update included. Soft-side though but still in the work plan. I would like to revive the BA-10 as well for future projects. And no, the new vehicle won't go in this project.

Ahhh, the 'Milk' Truck (as me and my friends affectionately called it). I loved driving that thing around the map. Just the sound of it was so cool! :D

Upvote 0
Awesome, Slyk... cant wait to try it :)

quick question... how would your team feel about making a working mortar that could be placed in a map? I could imagine one or two inside of the 2nd line covering major approaches. It could be as simple (i use this word lightly) as using the mortar that is already in the games packages, then coding an ammo box nearby that allows you to pick up one shell every 30 seconds or so. The sound and effect of the shell would be a single arty strike. Could be cool, no?

Upvote 0
Mortar? On the list. Discussed yesterday over lunch. Once the 45mm AT gun is finished, we will have the basis to build out:
- mortars of various size
- pak 38 and 40
- larger and more varied useable artillery pieces.

All of these are along the lines of implemention per map concepts/scenarios. All in good time. Our team still needs good, dedicated skin makers. (HINT)

Upvote 0
Just a few feedback points on the updated version to 4 of the Berezina map.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but since this update my framerate has dropped on that map alone to an average of about 8 to 10, sometimes lower. I wouldn't know why, and it has stayed the same, my average of about 25 to 30 on all other maps. My average was usually about 25 to 30 on Berezina before as well.

I have an issue as well with the spawn area protection now. It seems a lot of time the cap points change hands and a bunch of members of the opposite team, stuck behind the lines suddenly blow up. They should not do this, and should be able to fight their way out or fight a rear battle until they die.
Also the 2nd Line back door seems to now be off limits for going around. One really good strategy that prevented that silly head on constant trench charging and worked when the German team has some good strategy minded players was to take halftracks full through that back door, rush up through the tunnels into the cap zone from the back side. This is good teamwork, yet now it's not able to be done.

Some of the spawn protections elsewhere also seem to be impinging any sort of tactical advance. Approaching the village from the sides for example by going around the forest now means driving through a spawn protected zone for a while and if you dn't get out fast you go BOOM.

Now that I think of it, if the framerate drop is widespread, could it be because the "action" is more confined to a smaller area because of the "behind enemy lines" confinement forces more players into the same attack pattern? This means more ballistics calculations, smoke etc all in one visible area.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My replies are inside your quote below:

slyder73 said:
Just a few feedback points on the updated version to 4 of the Berezina map.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but since this update my framerate has dropped on that map alone to an average of about 8 to 10, sometimes lower. I wouldn't know why, and it has stayed the same, my average of about 25 to 30 on all other maps. My average was usually about 25 to 30 on Berezina before as well.
With or without bots? I had no drops through testing. Are your playing on more full servers, any variety of settings that might impact this?

I have an issue as well with the spawn area protection now. It seems a lot of time the cap points change hands and a bunch of members of the opposite team, stuck behind the lines suddenly blow up. They should not do this, and should be able to fight their way out or fight a rear battle until they die.
There were changes made. At some times it is impossible to prevent this from happening as with a wide open map, spawn protections have to be inserted that block long-range tank fire into spawns.
Also the 2nd Line back door seems to now be off limits for going around. One really good strategy that prevented that silly head on constant trench charging and worked when the German team has some good strategy minded players was to take halftracks full through that back door, rush up through the tunnels into the cap zone from the back side. This is good teamwork, yet now it's not able to be done.
Yes, I did this to prevent spawn camping and poor sportsmanship type players. It is certainly an improvement if you ask me.

Some of the spawn protections elsewhere also seem to be impinging any sort of tactical advance. Approaching the village from the sides for example by going around the forest now means driving through a spawn protected zone for a while and if you dn't get out fast you go BOOM.
That is something I thought was fixed. I'll look at that again.

Now that I think of it, if the framerate drop is widespread, could it be because the "action" is more confined to a smaller area because of the "behind enemy lines" confinement forces more players into the same attack pattern? This means more ballistics calculations, smoke etc all in one visible area.
See above.
Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Upvote 0