• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC beta 1: ZED's armor and excessive damage

Category: Code (christmas beta 1 only).
Summary: Excessive damage (damage that is left after destroying piece of ZED's armor) is no longer transfered to the hitzone protected by this armor piece but instead goes to the ZED's body health.

Example:

EDAR's chest has 67 armor points and 150 health. Armor does not have damage multiplier, it is x1. Chest core is extremely vulnerable - takes x3.5 damage.
That's total of 217 points. Yet it can survive guided shot of the off-perk Rail Gun (350 points of damage).

How it was before:

EDAR takes 350 points of damage from Rail Gun shot. Part of that damage is mitigated by armor (350 - 67) breaking it down in process. Remaining 283 points getting amplified by x3.5 and apply all that damage on the core. EDAR dies.

What happens now:

EDAR takes 350 points of damage from Rail Gun shot. Part of that damage is mitigated by armor (350 - 67) breaking it down in process. Remaining 283 points getting amplified by x3.5 and apply all that damage on the body, not on chest core. Since EDAR has a lot of health it actually survives. But most importantly the core remains completely untouched. Even if it would have only 1 point of armor protecting it, it still wouldn't get hurt in any way. All the damage now goes to body not to the zone armor used to protect.

This affects all armored ZEDs.

The bug you're describing and the one in my OP are connected, even might be the same bug.

Yes - you can one shot EDAR with high power weapons (unguided railgun, or M99 shot for example).

Lets say you're using these weapons to shoot them in their chest core. Back in time it would break the armor and the remaining damage would go to the core health blasting it in pieces and causing EMP explosion.

But now, in beta 1, the remaining damage goes to body health, not to the core. They just die because they ran out of health. And dying in such manner don't trigger EMP. Their chest armor gets completely obliterated, but the core remains untouched.

In theory, even if EDAR had 1 point of chest armor and 1 point of core health it would still be able to survive any shot from any weapon (only one, because that's all the armor would be able to protect from) unless that shot would have enough power to kill EDAR by depleting its body health (which is likely wouldn't happen, because thier body has over 1000hp in HOE).

The difference is that now you need like really powerful weapon (i don't know, something over 400-500 damage per shot) to one shot kill it, but it used to be around 80-100, IIRC Gunsliger with Desert Eagle could OSK it.

Upvote 0
I don't think that breakpoint on rioter even works properly.
on sui with a few people in the server, upgraded LAR with no damage skills active... shooting the rioter's head just breaks his helmet off and then he just dies with no visible damage to his body (usually his head pops off as well... i mean it does even now, but only if you apply the crouch dmg skill into the equation.)

EDIT: OK Nevermind. Even with a railgun that does over 1k damage, just destroy's the rioter's helmet and then rioter just dies without his head blowing up as it used to be.
Im actually greatly annoyed by this change, since now edars requires 2 shots to kill from their weakspot instead of 1 as it was... And with them stumbling when armor breaks, its difficult to line up a second shot with the zeds pouring in while i waste time trying to kill the damn thing.

Totally unrelated question @Kittenmittens : Is medic's hemo gun should be called hemoGLOBIN or hemoGOBLIN?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope that this will be looked into before update goes live.
It's really annoying to tackle edars again when you are playing with semi auto weapons and have to destroy the armor first > wait for the stumble to end > then hit it again.

And it also becomes quite a chore when Matriarch spawns them in bulk and you're unable to destroy them quickly because of this bs that is the new armor.

Upvote 0