• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best host for a KF server?

<NUT> N

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
Hello. Im thinking about got my own hosted server. So my question is, what is the best server hosting, i look in GameServers.com and looks fine, is cheap and seems good ping and costmize options on server, but what is your opinion? Thanks.

FluX thank you man, cost me the same, but i dont care for 20 or 30 cents anyway, so i will try to do one tomorrow in your service, and if have any question can ask to you personaly :). Ok tomorrow will check it need to got cash in my credit crad, but is the same price more or less, well maybe 20 cents less here. So tomorrow probably have some questions to you. Thanks man.

Upvote 0
For professional service I'd go with GameServers.com. If you really wanna get a good deal I'd go with renting your own windows server.

If someone cries about "muh linux" tell them that you'll get one when there isn't a buggy KF server for it.
Ok Skell. Anyway FluX server is only whit paypal, and i dont have it, so probably will try in gameservers.com, they acept credit cards.

Upvote 0
I've had a gameserver for UT years ago and it was a very 50/50. Their support was quite crap. I've had a mate recently who transferred out because he wasn't getting any service lol. On the other hand, they are one of the best running that I know of and are very known. Definitely got experience as they've been around for i'd say 8 years I think.

Also, sorry that I do paypal only. It's for security and I can't afford the extra services for credit card payments yet. It's definitely a future investment to do along with a USA server.

Upvote 0
Are you running a simple normal server or a custom one? If you plan on going custom (scrn, more than 6 players, etc), there are good deals out there on VPS's where you install the server and have full control. Keep in mind, a windows server inherently cost more due to licensing.

If someone cries about "muh linux" tell them that you'll get one when there isn't a buggy KF server for it.

Eh, I run a heavily customized linux server and it has 0 bugs/errors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is ok FluX, probably i will ask to a friend if he can pay me that whit his paypal, i give him the money and he pay me. Tomorrow will go to his home and then will try to do that, anyway i wanna test it for 1 month first, and then if like me, i will rent server for more time. So tomorrow say you what i will do FluX. Anyway is only one month for now, i can test it, if dont like me, simply dont pay anymore and close that. One thing i would like to ask, is because maybe do it whit the paypal of my friend, i can rent the server only for 1 month, or it will be go to his paypal all months whit no advice? And have good ping and good options to config your servers? I'm really bored of noobs, for this reason want my own server, today one friedn and me got banned from one, because we was bored of trolls and kick everyone who join us, so in the third votekicked guy we got banned, i want to play whit good players and go out all noobs, thats all, but listen servers runs really bad, so need a dedicated. Tomorrow talk FluX, thanks for the help, i hope your servers are really good, and whit some mutators.

Upvote 0
Is ok FluX, probably i will ask to a friend if he can pay me that whit his paypal, i give him the money and he pay me. Tomorrow will go to his home and then will try to do that, anyway i wanna test it for 1 month first, and then if like me, i will rent server for more time. So tomorrow say you what i will do FluX. Anyway is only one month for now, i can test it, if dont like me, simply dont pay anymore and close that. One thing i would like to ask, is because maybe do it whit the paypal of my friend, i can rent the server only for 1 month, or it will be go to his paypal all months whit no advice? And have good ping and good options to config your servers? I'm really bored of noobs, for this reason want my own server, today one friedn and me got banned from one, because we was bored of trolls and kick everyone who join us, so in the third votekicked guy we got banned, i want to play whit good players and go out all noobs, thats all, but listen servers runs really bad, so need a dedicated. Tomorrow talk FluX, thanks for the help, i hope your servers are really good, and whit some mutators.

Having your own server is the best thing to do for games like this. Specially if you enjoy it so much and have a passion to put so many hours into it. I did personally what Skell advised and hosted it myself. I have hosted game servers since I was like 8 years old (and rented infact as I rented first).

Payment:
You pay however you like. You get an invoice and you click pay. You then choose how you want to pay. You login to the account and submit with that account through the PayPal. It's very simple. I never make it recurring as I find most people forget about it etc. I have made it so it will invoice each month (as we only support monthly right now, will be adding every 3 months in the next couple of days). If you want to pay with a different account, login with another account. If you want, I can always try make some picture of it in the future if needing.

Service:
You get full control. I made it simple for custom mutators but absolutely everything was learnt within 10-15 minutes (myself) and that is with extra configurations. You get absolute control. If you are worried about specific details, let me know. I'll give pictures and everything that you need to know. You will get the best control panel going, TCAdmin. You get it free with my service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having your own server is the best thing to do for games like this...

Joining to exististing large project of servers is much more proper decision. If you wanna to play with friends 1-4 hours a day (maybe only on weekend), listen server or temporary dedicated hosted by one of the friends is fully satisfying. If you want server with good online and seriously modded, it would be very hard to start your own server. Mainly most of servers has one serious problem that bothers to gain online, but I won't voice it. Other not huge servers, mostly cannot gain proper amount of players at all. So if you don't want to spent 4 years of your life on server to make it really prospering (I mananed to do this just because I was almost nolifer + certain amount of luck), I advice you not to rent hosting but seek big servers and offer them your input to project and do things together with experienced admins. If this two options wont work, then you have nothing left but rent hosting.

Upvote 0
Well i have the server, but my problems are:
1 - Can't change game duration, is in short game and can't found the codeline, or something to change game duration.
2 - How is to put vote options in mapvoting menu, i would like have options, like, one option to vote dificulty, and other to change between game modes in wave game and objective game, can someone help me?

Upvote 0
Well i have the server, but my problems are:
1 - Can't change game duration, is in short game and can't found the codeline, or something to change game duration.
2 - How is to put vote options in mapvoting menu, i would like have options, like, one option to vote dificulty, and other to change between game modes in wave game and objective game, can someone help me?
For the voting you need kfmapvote handler v2. As for the short game length issue, that's common as of the summer update. I forget how to fix it, cause TWI never released an official fix.

Upvote 0
Thanks Broski, but i do what you said but in game dont have any otion to change about game length and maybe game mode (obj - waves) only have one option and is killing floor, so no length and no diferent game mode. Well i dont have the same web admin than you, i rent today one to FluX, so the web admin is diferent and i dont know about that ****. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
Thanks Broski, but i do what you said but in game dont have any otion to change about game length and maybe game mode (obj - waves) only have one option and is killing floor, so no length and no diferent game mode. Well i dont have the same web admin than you, i rent today one to FluX, so the web admin is diferent and i dont know about that ****. Thanks anyway.
You have to edit the KFMapVote.ini on the server. I can't really help out much because I stepped down as head admin from my community's server, I don't really remember much. I remember that the difficulty was an option you can add in the ini and start up line of the server. There was a page on the KFWiki that went into some details of that. As for the map voting handler, just play around with the ini, it isn't too hard to figure out if I remember correctly. :cool:

Upvote 0