• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best AMD driver?

As title asks, which is the best driver for RO2? I have a 6950 and the GPU usage is always low now when it should stay constantly at 99%. I barely get over 20 fps.

What cpu you have and running all settings ultra? I recommend to drop shadows to high and maybe disable blur's + depth of field. My gpu usage is after patching 80-95 % and fps is fine (40-65) but it depends on map.

Testing 11.9 drivers now and checking some stuff, going to give feedback later.

Upvote 0
What cpu you have and running all settings ultra? I recommend to drop shadows to high and maybe disable blur's + depth of field. My gpu usage is after patching 80-95 % and fps is fine (40-65) but it depends on map.

Some people are lucky.

I am not.

My 2 (well 1 actually, since CF isn't working) is running very erratic at 50% tops. Down from 60-70% prepatch.

Upvote 0

Testing 11.9 drivers now and checking some stuff, going to give feedback later.

I have:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Processor 3 GHz
RAM: 4GB
System type: Windows 7 64 bit
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
PSU: OCZ StealthXstreamII 500
GPU: MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3

I play with settings on high and at 1440 x 900. I'm lucky if I get over 15 fps!

Upvote 0
Im using the latest, which is 11.8 (im talking stable releases) and I cant say I have much problem with it. Although I have tweaking my config to disable **** that isnt even noticeable in-game and it gives me a stable 70-100fps. I dont know about GPU usage though, havent really checked.

I've tried this, and it is very helpful. Thanks for the post you made in that other thread.

Personally, I did see a difference in the graphical quality though and my gains weren't as high. Also the most annoying thing, namely the frequent slowdowns when walking outside, turning corners, and during artillery, are still there.

I don't regard this as a fix. Turning stuff off, however unnoticeable, is just turning stuff off, rather than fixing the issue. But for some the tradeoff may be worth it, until AMD/TWi sort the game out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not just the gcard drivers resulting in poor graphical performance. Right now I can say some, in no order:

1) Corrupted driver, either on AMD or becoming corrupted on the computer
2) Corrupted OS
3) Physically damaged HDD, which means some electronic component or the read/write head is damaged, precisely. This cause can't be helped.
4) A Win update is corrupted
5) The card is damaged
6) The game is corrupted
7) Hardware or a software is incompatible

Last edited:
Reactions: jay35 and wazups2x
Upvote 0
It's not just the gcard drivers resulting in poor graphical performance. Right now I can say some, in no order:

1) Corrupted driver, either on AMD or becoming corrupted on the computer
2) Corrupted OS
3) Physically damaged HDD, which means some electronic component or the read/write head is damaged, precisely. This cause can't be helped.
4) A Win update is corrupted
5) The card is damaged
6) The game is corrupted

All of those should make any other game also perform badly and they doesnt. I have 20 or so games installed I play 5 of them every day (I like variation) and I dont have any problem whatsoever with performance with any other game atm.

Upvote 0
All of those should make any other game also perform badly and they doesnt. I have 20 or so games installed I play 5 of them every day (I like variation) and I dont have any problem whatsoever with performance with any other game atm.
Added option #7, like the RAM or g'card, is exceptionally incompatible; one of my CS S Players said there's a RAM/m'board combination which causes Steam to crash. That's possible here too.

Upvote 0
If you are like me and obsessively collect all the software that has come with every computer you've ever owned, try rolling back drivers to the installation disc that came with your GPU. Cards are developed to work best with the drivers available at the time, and in my experience this has been a good starting point to find the drivers that work best. Keep in mind that there wont be a magic bullet, what improves performance on XXXX card might not help performance on YYYY card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0