• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berserker weapons.

DocDave

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Some thoughts on how I feel the berserker can be improved, starting with his main problems right now.
  • Sniper does his current job better, and at range. I don't like nerfs, but at the very least the M14 needs a reduction in ammo capacity. Perhaps also a reduction in sniper headshot bonus damage or something of the sort.
  • The berserker has a lot of weapons available, but they are just "the same but better" with a new skin. Everyone else usually has some more choices to make; do you want scoped or not? Do you want duals at the cost of a good ironsight? Do you get a weapon with AOE that might hurt yourself? More range at the cost of firepower? Etc. They can have tools for more situations.
Giving the weapons more distinctive uses would breathe a lot of life into the berserker perk.

Old weapons:
  • Knife - as default. (Though, see below for an ability.)
  • Machete - Change to "Machete and Riot Shield," increase the weight. (Props to whomever had the riot shield idea, not mine.) New effects: slows your movement speed by a large amount, and adds armor effectiveness.
  • Fire axe - Reduce weight by a block and add a small AOE damage effect. (Someone had suggested being able to break welded doors for it, too.)
  • Katana and Chainsaw - No change, these remain the top damage dealers with no extra functionality.
New weapon:
  • Sledge hammer - A heavy weapon, between the fire axe and katana/saw in damage. Large carry weight. With slow swing speed, but the ability to stun the specimen it hits. A useful weapon to try and keep tougher specimen away from your team. (If the fire axe gets the ability to break welded doors, perhaps this one ought to, too.)
New berserker-only ability:
  • Weapon throw! Certain weapons, namely the knife, machete and fire axe can be thrown with alt-fire at an enemy for a good amount of additional damage on a head-shot. This also drops the weapon, so should only be done with your backup weapons, and if you miss, might end up quite a distance away. (Perhaps the weapons themselve should receive the "throw" ability, so everyone could do it, but only the berserker would benefit from the bonus damage of doing so.)
Anyway, just some ideas...

I agree that the melee weapons should be made more interesting and that each should be given an unique use.

As I see it:

Knife: perfect as it is now

Machete: Remove it since noone really needs it anyway. Or switch its place with the katana.

Axe: Raise the dps above the katanas. Maybe as an alternate function let it destroy welded doors in 1 hit.

Katana: Lower the damage a tad but keep it effective against gorefasts, scrakes and clots. Also raise the price by 500. (autoattack would be nice too)

Chainsaw: Raise the damage, make its alt swing an attack that hits all enemies in a 120

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kind of like the axe-welded door suggestion but here is the main problem:

griefers

Well, griefers can already open those with either their welder or grenades, so griefers will grief with or without that idea, but it'll happen, sure.

PS: On the other hand, it could help a team dealing with a griefer trying to lock people out, and so forth... not to mention letting the team "bail out" from an area they were holing up in faster in emergencies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Axe smashing doors would cause extreme griefing BEYOND the nade spamming at doors (wich is already bad enough) but i wouldnt mind seeing it for the more tactical reasons (way too maney times ive got stuck behind a door >.> ooh and also those weld griefers could be fixed with this)

Knife throwing? not for our combat knife but i could agree with throwing axes/knives for a zerker (perhaps 10 ammo for them?) at a resonable price

Axe power increase, wouldnt be too bad

Katana is fine
Chainsaw is awesome :D

Upvote 0
Axe smashing doors would cause extreme griefing BEYOND the nade spamming at doors (wich is already bad enough)

Nah, noone is going to buy an axe and be like "Now I have an axe, for some reason I suddenly want to grief!" Other than maybe the first time they get a new one, just to see if it works... If they're griefers, they were griefers before buying an axe.

Upvote 0