• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berserker Ability Idea

CannibalBob

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
The Berserker has to constantly put himself in harm's way and can easily be killed via. a siren scream, bloat bile, flesh pounder and so on. With every other class receiving powerful Tier 3 weapons, capable of dealing with large mobs and powerful zeds (Scrakes, pounders and Patty), the Zerker is losing his edge.

So I propose an idea which aims to make the zerker a little more tough and possibly powerful. The ability is a passive ability which is activated after killing 5 zeds in a row. Each kill charges a bar (seen on-screen), and the ability activates automatically when full. To give you an idea of the rate the bar depletes at a constant rate - If you don't perform a kill for 5 seconds, a nearly-full bar will become empty. Each kill gives ~1/5th of a bar. Once the bar is full, the zerker goes

Berserk.

For 5 seconds, he gains health regeneration, movement speed increases by 10%, damage is increased by 25% and all damage taken is reduced by 50%. Any kills while berserking do not fill the bar; after 10 seconds, the berserker can go berserk again.

The berserker would still be in constant danger but his new ability aims to allow him to preserve his role as the "linebacker".

This idea was hardly original so I apologize to anyone who posted it before.

I don't see anything with him considering he can take on everything up to the scrake, and bloats are somewhat easy to jump-Decap, husks are pretty easy if you manage to jump their fireballs and they get close.
A siren normally dies in one or two alt attacks, and crawlers dont pose much trouble.

And, 10 seconds seems a bit to much for him.
Just because he can't take on every zed safely doesn't make him a bad class and in need of a buff, there's teamwork for that.

Upvote 0
I liked the idea that's been tossed around in a few other topics (don't remember which ones at this time) about making the berserker immune to the slowdown effect from losing too much health.

That would be useful.

I agree. That would be very useful for the zerk to get out of "sticky situations," thereby extending his range so he can get more action without getting killed. Anything too outlandish is pushing way into RPG territory, beyond the scope of KF. KF is a shooter with RPG elements, not the other way around, so everything should stay relatively realistic. No uber powerups. The downside is you'll have more zerks running around blocking shots in the front, so hopefully they would be team players and play to the sides or crouch a lot. If they were high level zerks they would most likely have respect for the shooter classes and not block the firing lines too much. This skill should be incorporated in the leveling stats so noob players don't rambo.

Berserker
0 N/A
1 20% less movement penalty
2 40% less movement penalty
3 60% less movement penalty
4 80% less movement penalty
5 No movement penalty
6 No movement penalty + 10% melee movement + 10% damage resistance at 50% health

This would let the zerk push deeper into enemy territory where he'll be useful again, and better able to survive a beating, without becoming superman. Zerks would almost be encouraged to get hit since they'll be faster and more resilient when their health is at 50% or less, although if they're too reckless they'll soon be at 0%. Balancing this aspect would be a skill in itself for high-level players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Commando can go invisible. Sharpshooter can release an attack bird. Berserker can punch enemies for massive damage. Support can set down a turret.
Great idea. They we can have the enemies drop weapons and go on quests until we reach level 50.

Abilities already have been suggested and usually are not realistic or have other issues. Pass.

he didnt say that

Upvote 0
he didnt say that
I suppose that my humor was a little out there. I was referring to borderlands. http://www.blogiversity.org/forums/t/8310.aspx

The movement buffer at low HP sound like something that would make the berserker less of a liability on harder difficulties in the fray. Of course such an ability would have to be tried out to make sure it doesn't ruin the danger inherent in the berserker class; although my guess would be that it wouldn't. Giving the berserker an increase in max health might provide an alternative to buffing the melee weapons until they can take out most specs in one or two hits (which I would think could be balanced since even a few specs can deal massive damage and a mob almost always kills you).

Upvote 0
Simpler coding and more balanced would be Zerker does more damage in Zed time with melee and gets more Zed time extensions than the other Perks. I think 7 at L6 would be ace.

Zed time should be the Zerk's time to shine. You'll eventually run out of stuff to melee kill.

It would also make for great saves... surrounded by clots? Once the Zerker gets that Zed time going, you know you'll be alright.

Ideally, it would be extra damage during Zed time and then for 2-3 seconds or so after the fact (so a Zerker can get that last minute hammering on on a toughie like the Flesh Pound).

It would also be hard to pull it off on Patches since you almost never get Zed time in Wave 11. You'd have to like... kill a Clot and then hit Patches within 7-8 seconds. You'd get one or two hits at best.

Upvote 0
Holy crap that would be f*cking incredible!! Genius. Or maybe he could run around at half speed so it's not TOO crazy. I think this really pushes the envelope in terms of what "should" be possible in this game, but it's too freaking COOL to not be considered....

After more thinking it actually doesn't sound that unreasonable, considering shooter players can point their guns fairly quickly at other targets whereas the zerk won't get much excitement unless he's already next to some baddies. Maybe he could keep going at normal speed if HE starts the zed time, and be slow like everyone else other times. He should only get this God-like skill at level 6 or 7 ;)

No way he should get 7 zed extensions tho, 20 seconds of limbo is just too much especially for the guy who doesn't have sh*t to do the whole time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy crap that would be f*cking incredible!! Genius. Or maybe he could run around at half speed so it's not TOO crazy. I think this really pushes the envelope in terms of what "should" be possible in this game, but it's too freaking COOL to not be considered.

No way he should get 7 zed extensions tho, 20 seconds of limbo is just too much especially for the guy who doesn't have sh*t to do the whole time.

lol, why thank you, you aswell 9_6, i do try :p

i didnt read the 7 ZED time extensions thing. that would be horrible if your welding or your trying to get to the action or something, 2 is bad enough.

Upvote 0