• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Been away a long time, can't remember...

DieFledermaus

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006
New computer since I was last in this game.

I loaded it up tonight and got on a server. I actually managed to get more kills than deaths with a Soviet bolt carbine.

Anyway, my headset was not detected. All sound, including chat, came through my speakers. But I found no place to fix that.

Also, when in game, using default keys. I would hit forward, with Sprint on or not and I would keep stopping every so many steps. Not many, this was not a stamina thing. I was on Danzig and I would start to run down the spawn street and would stop cold before I got to the end. This happened always, game after game.

Is this a common issue? I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and play another game regularly (LOTRO) without an issue.

And as I prepare to customize my keyboard a bit, IS there an auto walk

Thanks was fun. Missed this game a lot.

went back into the game, different server. Same issue. My toon walks, sprints or crawls like two to four steps and stops. over and over. VERY frustrating. Can't run across a field with others, keep stopping and get cut down. Sometimes I get in stride and can run till my stamina gives out, but 90% of the time I can't move more than a few feet at a time.

I am guessing it is the wireless keyboard but I changed the batteries a few days ago.

Also, not sure my repetitive stress hands can play this game again if I have to keep pressing down the forward key. is there no key to go forward and stay that way without having to hold down a key?

Thanks

Upvote 0
This isn't an MMO. If you want to move, you have to tell the game to move. I doubt you'll find many (any?) shooters that have an auto-walk key. That's just plain lazy and unnecessary. You're only finding it difficult because you've been playing MMO's for so long that your finger muscles have atrophied away. :p

The stop-start problem is a keyboard issue. I don't use wireless but I do occasionally get the odd glitch when I'm sprinting. I suspect it has a lot to do with the other keys you're hitting

Upvote 0
"That's just plain lazy and unnecessary."

Excuse me? There is nothing lazy about not wanting to ruin you hands because of a video game.

I am a professional musician with chronic tendinitis issues and now a shoulder impingement.

Nice to be reminded early on that the same kind of thoughtless, rude @$$holes come here still. Makes me remember why I stopped playing OR in the first place.

Never mind yall.

Enjoy your game. It clearly isn't designed for lazy people like me. Just people who think it is unnecessary to worry about their future chronic repetitive stress injuries.

Upvote 0
Auto-walk forward ? That would be ackward as hell, since, unlike in a mmo, you sometimes want to strafe right and left or even go backwards...
Im mean, having to remember to hit the "stop walking forward key" before actually beginning to strafe to avoid annoying and possibly fatal consequences, that strikes me as totally unnatural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clearly they just don't make emotes like they used to. Though I thought pokey-tongue faces were pretty universal, but evidently not. Oh well.

If holding down a key is that much of a problem, then I'd suggest rebinding "forward" to a mouse button, rather than just leaping down my throat at the first sign of perceived hostility.

Upvote 0
The issue may well be the wireless keyboard. I know that some will stop sending a signal from a key after a few seconds. The keyboard designers assume that their keyboard will be used for typing letters etc and not gaming. So when a key is left depressed for a long period of time it is assumed that this isn't intentional. Ie something fell on the keyboard while you were AFK and it stops sending the signal to conserve battery life.

I am also wondering if sticky keys in Windows might be causing an issue here. Might be worth checking your keyboard setup, and of course you can disable your Windows key while your at it.

As far as the headset is concerned, do you have the same issue in other games? I know that some lazy system builders wont bother to connect front panel audio jacks properly, especially if you are running a sound card rather than on-board.

Upvote 0
"That's just plain lazy and unnecessary."

Excuse me? There is nothing lazy about not wanting to ruin you hands because of a video game.

I am a professional musician with chronic tendinitis issues and now a shoulder impingement.

Nice to be reminded early on that the same kind of thoughtless, rude @$$holes come here still. Makes me remember why I stopped playing OR in the first place.

Never mind yall.

Enjoy your game. It clearly isn't designed for lazy people like me. Just people who think it is unnecessary to worry about their future chronic repetitive stress injuries.
Hey man it's been a long time since I've seen you around these parts. Welcome back to RO I suppose...

And though you're name suggested it, I never realized you were a musician? What do you play? Some string instrument I suppose...

I'm a trumpet player myself, studying music in college. I understand where you're coming from here, even if no one else does.

Upvote 0