• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beefy Engine Sounds

Seeing as the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread agree, i was just wondering if the Devs, particularly the sound department , would consider improving the tank engine sounds in the near future?
I think in the Supersonic Bullet Sounds thread, one of the Sound Devs said they are too busy with RL stuff to do anything unless it is done for them (which was a direct answer to your bump, so start doing his homework for him!)

+1 louder, noisier tanks
+1 supersonic bullet cracks
+1 louder weapons in general

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think in the Supersonic Bullet Sounds thread, one of the Sound Devs said they are too busy with RL stuff to do anything unless it is done for them (which was a direct answer to your bump, so start doing his homework for him!)

I would love to but as i said in that thread i live in the UK and have absolutely no access to firearms.

I've heard straight from Ramm that even increasing the distance at which you can hear engine sounds is "impossible" without killing servers...although I recall him saying something like that about penetration, too.

I don't know anything about coding but tbh the distance thing doesn't seem too important because i am refering to tank sounds at close-to- medium proximity - for the tank crews themselves and also infantry who are dangerously close to friendly as well as enemy tanks...

Upvote 0
So there's no way they can change the volume of the tanks at a distance so it becomes louder as it gets closer and closer? Hummmm...

Maybe they could change the base volume of the tank's engines so it's just generally louder. That way they wouldn't have to set different volumes at range or something. Remember, I have no clue as to how it works exactly, but I find it hard to believe it's totally impossible to do.

Hell, I'd just be happy with it fixed so I can't be "snuck up" on by a Panther or something. Doesn't have to be fantastic new stuff, just tweaked a bit.

Upvote 0
Seeing as the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread agree, i was just wondering if the Devs, particularly the sound department , would consider improving the tank engine sounds in the near future?

Do i need to make a poll or are polls not really taken seriously!?

I am absolutely convinced that making the tank engines louder and more realistic would add a huge amount of immersion to the game, not just for the tankers but (probably even more-so) for the infantry players also.

that's exactly what i think too!!!

Upvote 0
I have been trawling the net to find a decent vid with engine sounds of a T34 but had no luck.

However i've added a scene from the Sam Peckinpah film 'Cross of Iron' to my original post:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225413#post225413

*while full of crappy hollywood sound fx the sounds of the T34s used in the film seem to be genuine*
They were indeed. T-34/85s supplied by the Ukraine army I believe. You can tell they're modern by the radios on the the tanks.
Is it just me or did that T-34 reload pretty quick between shots?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

+1 louder, noisier tanks
+1 supersonic bullet cracks
+1 louder weapons in general

from a sound designers perspective the sounds themselves cannot be any louder.. extract the files and check them out yourself..

some of the vehicle engine sounds had to be compressed/limited/raped so about 70% of the actual sound was off its limits. so I can definately not do anything more about the sound levels.

Upvote 0
from a sound designers perspective the sounds themselves cannot be any louder.. extract the files and check them out yourself..

some of the vehicle engine sounds had to be compressed/limited/raped so about 70% of the actual sound was off its limits. so I can definately not do anything more about the sound levels.

That's a real shame. Is there anyway the current sounds can be made to resemble the real engine sounds - within your stated constraints and without increasing the volume?

Upvote 0
As far as i recall, the engine sounds are limited for network optimization reasons. If we allow the engines of all tanks to be heared greater distances, we will have to force all the tanks to be network relevant to everyone all the time. Which will hurt network performance a lot (channels).

Would changing tank engine sounds so that they max out earlier work?

Upvote 0
That's one thing I don't like about the tanks in this game. They don't sound like a 30 ton steel beast but they sound more like a car. IMO you should hear a heavy diesel engine with the tiger and squeeky tracks as the earth rumbles underneath the treads.

Driving a tank in RO feels too much like driving a car. It should feel like driving a 40 ton beast that can crush anything in it's path.

Upvote 0
We need louder footsteps as well. I've installed the mod and seen it just adds much more immersion to hear louder footsteps. Sometimes I get the impression that I'm "floating" in Ostfront :)

Could we have them back, the current ones volumes to be upped or maybe someone could make a mutator for bringing old ones back?

Upvote 0