• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beefy Engine Sounds

Listen guys, I used to live in Bordon Hampshire, UK, about 10 yards from a track that tanks took to reach their testing area.

Believe me, you don't want to here and feel what I heard and felt.
The noise kills dogs and the ground does not tremble, it bounces.

Happily it was not every day but it is something that you never get used to. There was no need to warn the population as you could here them from about 3 miles away when they started up the engines.

I think the tank engine sounds in RO are fine thanks...

Upvote 0
Listen guys, I used to live in Bordon Hampshire, UK, about 10 yards from a track that tanks took to reach their testing area.

Believe me, you don't want to here and feel what I heard and felt.
The noise kills dogs and the ground does not tremble, it bounces.

Happily it was not every day but it is something that you never get used to. There was no need to warn the population as you could here them from about 3 miles away when they started up the engines.

I think the tank engine sounds in RO are fine thanks...

Nice contradiction.

You agree that the sound of real tank engines are extremely noisy and frightening but because you have bad memories of them you don't want them implemented in RO and say that the current unrealistic sounds are "fine"!?

Upvote 0
I've seen T-72 in action and it's engine is directly related to tridsat' chetyre's engine. RAWR RAWR RAAAWR. Seriously, Soviet tanks are real tanks, Leos and such are just big tractors.[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][/SIZE]

are you serious ???? :confused:
t - 72 840 hp
leopard 2 1500 hp V 12 48 liters diesel engine
i heard the leopard 2 at my service at the bundewehr(german army, i was panzergrenadier) a lot in action
the leopard 2 is the loudest thing you can imagine
lol and dont call the leo 2 a tractor its THE TANK and a real beauty not ****in ugly like all the russian tanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice contradiction.

You agree that the sound of real tank engines are extremely noisy and frightening but because you have bad memories of them you don't want them implemented in RO and say that the current unrealistic sounds are "fine"!?

Nice contradiction !

No, not really,
I do not have bad memories at all and I never found the noise frightening, a more apt word would be impressive.
As far as memory serves me, I would not say that the current sounds are unrealistic, therefore, fine...thanks.

Pump up the volume and jump in a Panther, it ain't so bad.
I don't know, maybe the sound guy done a Massey Fergerson, copy : paste trick !!!

Upvote 0
I never found the noise frightening, a more apt word would be impressive.

Impressive - in a peace-time situation yes. But frightening would be more apt in a brutal Man Vs. Machine/Machine Vs. Machine situation - like the one RO attempts to simulate as realistically as possible.

Pump up the volume and jump in a Panther, it ain't so bad.

I do play with my headset volume relatively loud (and usually end up with a bit of ear-ache) - yeah it "aint so bad", but it aint realistic which is the point of this whole thread!

Upvote 0
You could keep the volume the same, but just have it wash out other sounds like gun shots, etc--so if you are running next to a tank and shoot your gun, you hardly hear it.

Would that be a workable solution?

It's a nice idea but you are missing my point. Yes the tank engines should be louder but they should also sound completely different - 'growly', 'throaty', 'screaming' etc.

See my original post with video clips and compare them even roughly to the in-game tank engines we have atm...

Upvote 0
Abso-****ing-lutely.

It was just today that I got pissed off on Konigsplatz to the max because an IS2 was able to literally sneak up behind me and plant a shell in my ass. (There were about 4 people on the server after it had crashed, we were waiting for it to fill up - it was pretty much a 1vs1 tank duel)

The engine sound comes in wayyyy way too late. I can hear cars IRL way further away than some of the beastly tanks we have in this game, and imo that is wrong. After the current patch has sorted out my beloved maschinengewehrs, tank sounds would be my most wanted feature/fix/mod.

Upvote 0
Definitely support this. After seeing those videos it reenforced my belief that the tanks are really really quiet in-game compared to reality. There must be a way they can make the engine sounds more accurate, and loud. It'd be cool to have the sound drown out other sounds around it also. So a rifle sounds like a mere firecracker in a tank's blanket of noise.

Upvote 0
Seeing as the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread agree, i was just wondering if the Devs, particularly the sound department , would consider improving the tank engine sounds in the near future?

Do i need to make a poll or are polls not really taken seriously!?

I am absolutely convinced that making the tank engines louder and more realistic would add a huge amount of immersion to the game, not just for the tankers but (probably even more-so) for the infantry players also.

Upvote 0