• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

bayonets are they realistic?

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Recently i have been using the rifles with the bayonet more then normal and i started to realize just how unrealistic they seem to be.

First of all you need to hold it down for a few seconds to do any real damage. That alone is just wrong. Stabing this big knife into someone isnt going to take much effort at all. basicly just like stabbing a steak or any other sort of meat. It will basicly slide right in unless it hits bone a rib or something but even then it should slide between them easy enough. Dosnt really make much sence to have to hold back the rifle for a while to thrust it with any force.

But even more noticable is the lack of range they seem to have. its almost like your holding the rifle by the end of the barral instead of the stock and the middle of the gun. Although i really dont know much about bayonets im pretty sure the ones they used were fairly long right? a foot or so? would think this would give you a good 3-4 foot reach if your arms are extended out with the rifle in front of you. but in the game it seems to be more like 2 feet. Just stabbing someone thats laying prone can be a real hassle because of this. and i know for a fact that if you have a bayonet on a rifle in real life you would have no trouble at all stabbing something on the ground at your feet.

Then theres damage of the thing... Sure if you charge it up you can kill in one hit pretty easy but... if you have time to charge it up you have time to shoot too. so ... yeah just shoot them. I think the damage for the random quick bayonet stabs needs to be increased. If im thinking of the right one the bayonets on the russian rifles was a thick triangle spike wasnt it? this thing should leave a gaping hole. and the one the germans used wasnt as thick but it was wider and still 1/8th-1/4 inch or something like that right? these things should be doing some devistating damage even with a quick thrust.

When you make the stab motion with the bayonet even if you dont hit anything it makes that sound where you can hear it whip through the wind. If your moving this thing fast enough to make sound in the air.. its more then fast enough to jab right through someones body but.. it dosnt do much damage if its not a charged up stab. That sound needs to be removed or it needs to do the full amount of damage every stab. It really should be a silent weapon. the only sound you should hear is the groan gurgle or thump or whatever sound the guy makes as he dies from it.

Well at least thats my opnion. Whats everyone else think? is it realistic? or just the fps standard of what bayonets should be?

This has been discussed time and time again...... and I totally agree with ya man... the Bayong in this game is bull****... RO the mod did it some what right....

Although the bayoing still ****s and misses the targets alot.... it is still a really big knife being plunged into someone's body... its gonna do ALOT of damage...

In the mod it was simple... one thrust, one hit, one kill.... which was perfectly fine to me....

But it is BULL**** I TELL YOU! when I sneak up on someone, stab them in the back, have them turn around, and shoot once point blank at me and I die....

NOOOOOOO I SAY TO YOU! This really must be fixed.... a bayonet is and should always be an instant kill.... seeing as how it is hard enough to actually kill anyone with it anyway..:D

Upvote 0
The reach should definitely be longer, the Mosin 91/30 is a long gun, with the bayonet that I'm gonna guess at around 15 inches. Charging seems a little dumb to, though I haven't noticed it since I don't bayo people to often.

Not only that, they just don't feel real at all. It's just a quick in and out, the only motion seems to be in your arms. There should be a turning motion in your hips that turns your screen to, then a pause to yank back out, which should also give a little motion to the screen.

Right now it just feels like you're lightly poking someone with a stick.

Upvote 0
Yep. There are some annoying problems with bayos. But on the other hand, also in the real life bayonetting is not so easy.

In game there is no modelling to bayonet "jam". Bayonets were notorious for stucking in enemys guts in the heat of the battle. Especially thrust between ribs, and both, hitter and receiver are both dead meat.

Also in close quarters bayos are in real life maybe even harder to use, than in game.

(And soldiers used to had thick clothes, especially in winter. Or at least the lucky ones did. It`s not so easy to make the bayonet to penetrate through thick cloth, when the other guy is fighting back. It really demands powerful thrust. But this is not very relevant point.)

So, my point is, that realistic modelling is very hard to achieve. What can be easily done is that "hit detection" should be fixed ASAP. That would help even a little bit.

Upvote 0
lol of corse you can make a video of kills... the bayonet does work but its not realistic. and yeah in real life it can be difficult but im not talking about stabbing someone that knows your there dodging or blocking the hits. im talking about simple stuff like trying to stab a guy laying on the ground. and if the bayonet get stuck in someone... well at least they are pretty much out of the fight any way. if you sneak up behind someone in the game and just do a quick thrust with the bayonet without charging it up it wont kill them. in real life if you sneak up behind someone and jab them real quick... they arnt going to be getting up just because you didnt hold back your gun for a second ahead of time. they are gonna stay on the ground and most likely gasp for air or wonder what the hell hit them and why they cant move. And in real life... if you have trouble standing next to someone that dosnt see you and stabbing them while they lay on the ground.. your so brain damaged you shouldnt be holding a gun in the first place. The reach just isnt long enough.

At the very least i think the reach should be checked. I mean even without the real gun they could take a broom handle or something of the same length as the rifle and bayonet and test it on jabbing at things then compair it in game. you would just never have trouble jabbing someone laying on the ground if the reach was right.

Does anyone know exactly how long the german bayonets were? the Russian one is 17 inches long.

According to http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm the russian m91 was 1666mm long with the baynette Thats over 5 feet long plus you hold it out at arms length to stab with. so lets say the butt of the rifle is only 6 inches in front of your torso just being conservitive you should have a reach of well over 5 feet to stab with. so unless your7-8 feet tall stabbing the ground would be very very very easy if the range was right. The other rifles are over 4 feet with the bayonet attached still shouldnt have any trouble at all reaching 5 feet away unless your arms are just stubs sticking out of your shoulders. I dont know about everyone else but im 6 foot tall and can take a 3 foot long yard stick and hit the ground with it easy while i stand up. add another foot to that and i can hold it easy with both hands and stab something at my side in the ground. and thats still shorter then all the rifles in the game with the bayonet attached.

Upvote 0
Bayonets in RO are as realistic as they can be becouse this is only a game. You have to hold button longer to get killing stab if you don't charge, short stab isn't enough to kill which is quite realistic. I would preferably take shorter rifle with shorter bayonet, it would be much more convinient in close quarters combat. If you can't hit prone enemies when standing then just change to crouching, very simple. And then there is also damage stopping in RO so player who gets damage stops and can't do nothing, don't stab only once stab twice or three times to be sure.

Upvote 0
i really doubt it would take any time at all to fix the reach of them. Just changing one verable. bet it wouldnt take more then 5 min for someone that knew what they were doing and looking for. changing the charging thing... well i guess thats not too important but its still cheesy.

I have exactly same thoughts about RO's unrealistic excessive recoil.

Upvote 0
Hit detection is fine to me once you got used to it.

My problem with it is like somebody else said: I stab somebody in the back (charged stab mind you) and they turn around and start shooting and what not as if I had flicked them in the ear or gave them a boot to the ass. Totally ridiculous!!

If you hit somebody in the arm or leg....ok...I guess. But anywhere in the torso and they keep on trucking like a mosquito bit them?????????

Plz fix that...

Upvote 0
It's not the hit detection guys, it's lag. The bullets you shoot do the same thing. Start leading the people you are trying to stab or rifle butt just like you would if you were going to shoot them and you'll see it's not the hit detection.

RO has some problems with this whether you guys want to realize it and agree with me or not. It's just like the ballistics in this game. The higher your ping, the longer it takes your bullet to get to where you are shooting (usually).

It's my only gripe with RO. There's got to be a way to make ballistics be consistent from server to server without depending too much on your connection speed.

Upvote 0
I had same problems stabbing people laying down. I didnt reach them while standing and i had to crouch.
This playing on the russian side.
As u can see in the john's video he stabbed a russian soldier from inside the trench ... that never worked with my mosin!
I dont know if there are differences in the game for rifle hand-to-hand reach.

But i also feel unrealistic the reach of rifles when bayo charging.

Upvote 0