• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

How exactly does the laser dart thing work? I've marked several tanks already but still the rockets never automatically flew there, is it just for static rocket launchers?

Should work with the RPG7 adn the cral gustav. You have to lock on by aiming at the dart first I think.

Yeah, the M136 won't lock onto the dart. Use the RPG-7 and Gustav, aim at the target for a few seconds then aim up in the air to fire so it'll fly over trees, buildings, etc.

YouTube - BC2 Guide #2 The Tracer Gun [HD] Bad Company 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AT4's rocket will go wherever you're looking, even when unscoped. One time I was on defense in the lighthouse on Valparaiso (the jungle map) and I saw an enemy Bradley rolling into the village. I didn't have a clear line of sight because there were buildings in front of it. I hardly even saw him, but I could spot him (and my teammates did) so I fired a rocket into the air, over the buildings, steered it down onto the Bradley and destroyed it. Very satisfying kill.

AT weapons in BC2 can be summed up like this:

RPG-7: quite effective against armour. Travels very slowly and has significant drop, which are its biggest disadvantages. The RPG pretty much becomes obsolete once you've unlocked the AT4, unless you use tracer darts a lot. I personally don't - I find it quite difficult to lock them onto a tank or helicopter because they travel so slowly. Maybe I need more practice though. Still, I'd rather have a sidearm.

Carl Gustav: the least effective against armour, but the rockets travel very fast and are much more effective against infantry because of its splash damage. More of an all-round weapon. Can be used with tracer darts. I haven't used the AT weapons a whole lot since the patch, but I heard the CG was nerfed, making it less effective against infantry. As of now I can't confirm or deny that.

AT4: by far the best AT weapon against armour. Unlike the other two, it doesn't work with tracer darts, but like I said, the hand-guided function can be useful. However, you also have to keep yourself exposed for almost the entire duration of the rocket's flight, because it's not a fire-and-forget weapon.

Depending on your preferences, different maps and situations it's often best to switch between the three. Also, all three will destroy a helicopter with one hit.

Upvote 0
How exactly does the laser dart thing work? I've marked several tanks already but still the rockets never automatically flew there, is it just for static rocket launchers?
You have to point on the mark that is around the tank for a few seconds, till the square gets 'fat' and then you have a lockon. Shoot in the air and the round will follow it. If that makes sense.

Edit:
And ofcourse, for the first time in RO forum history the extra page number isn't a bug, but an actual page with the answer in it. Derp.

Upvote 0
Depending on your preferences, different maps and situations it's often best to switch between the three. Also, all three will destroy a helicopter with one hit.

I'm not sure if that's true.

I remember hitting helicopters with AT4 plenty of times and those didn't go down with just 1 hit. Maybe it depends on where you get the hit.

Once you do get the helicopter down everyone will just jump off and you don't get any kills, which I find to be really lame.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if that's true.

I remember hitting helicopters with AT4 plenty of times and those didn't go down with just 1 hit. Maybe it depends on where you get the hit.

Once you do get the helicopter down everyone will just jump off and you don't get any kills, which I find to be really lame.

Hmmm, I've never seen that. Every time I've hit a helicopter, it went down.

The rocket launcher lock-on thing is really nice, but how are you supposed to take down a chopper with the AT4? Without the lock-on stuff it seems to be impossible manually because the rocket is too slow most of the time, but maybe you get used to it and adjust

Practice. Or you could use the Gustav because it travels the fastest. Fixed machine guns are very good against choppers as well though.

Upvote 0
Personally, the AT4 is total ****. The rockets seem to move at turtle speed getting to the target, so my dumbass is stuck exposing myself trying to hit the tank. And it isn't even a one hit kill most of the time. To me its a total waste. I've tried hitting helis and UAVs - simply too hard for me. I have better success shooting down UAVs with the CG. I use the CG for infantry killing and RPG for my tank destroying. And I never have gotten use out of another teammate's dart with the RPG - my rocket never ends up hitting the target, and/or it disappears just before or as soon as I fire my rocket.

Upvote 0
After learning (from here) how the tracer dart worked and how to use it properly, I shot down my first helicopter.

I was engineer class, looked up and saw the tracer dart on a helo, locked on a blasted it out of the sky. Then I got a stern cussing. :D Somebody started typing, "That was my #$)(* dart, you could have a least let me shoot down the #)*(#) helocopter. You friggen noob!"

Oops.:eek:

Upvote 0
Unfortunately they're pretty useless though without a crosshair(as I only play HC) and once you kinda got the feeling for where your rounds are going you already get snipered :p

Remember kids.. There is no Free Aim in BC2.

This is why adding a free-aim system was so important for RO.

On a whim, I cut a tiny triangle out of masking tape, and afixed it right where the sight profile lines up on the weapons. TADA.. instant cross-hair.

Given I don't play on BC2 Hardcore servers that often (this is one reason why), there's actually no reason for anyone to do it, including me.

oh Edit:
As for shooting down choppers with teh AT-4.. you just have to get lucky and get a enemy pilot that isn't good at manuvering.. this is actually one reason why I dislike the AT-4.. with the RPG and Hot-Carl, I can estimate.. line it up, and let 'er go.. usually i'll hit an airbourne helo 1 in 4 or 5 tries.. just takes some practice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0