• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

I thought the beta was boring as hell, so I'll be passing on this.

Just your typical run around and blast each other in the face game. I thought 2142 was way more fun tbh. (maps were bigger, that's a big reason IMO, longer engagement ranges)

Still, I'm glad this destructible environment tech is in... hopefully most games will incorporate it in the future.

I don't know what everyone sees in this game. You'll probably all grow tired of it within a month or two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good game, but it needs:

- better server browser, this is by far the most horrible server browser I have used. It's as bad as BF2, but because player limit is only 32 it's a lot harder to find decent server.
-team scramble after each map change, so there won't be a single winning team steamrolling every round.
- auto-team balance, how many games have you played that has teams of 13 vs 16+ and no one wants to switch teams(because of abowe).
- little more damage to weapons, so you can take down enemy without having to empty a clip on him

What I don't like is this unlock system. What is the point having to unlock the very basics of your class. Medic need to unlock medpack and zappers, assault ammo box and engineer fixing tool. It blows my mind how much of an disadvantage it puts the new player because he can't even use the main tools ffs.
Some guns are just plain upgrades and some I would say hugely overpowered(M1911 pistol, monster gun).

Upvote 0
I thought the beta was boring as hell, so I'll be passing on this.

Just your typical run around and blast each other in the face game. I thought 2142 was way more fun tbh. (maps were bigger, that's a big reason IMO, longer engagement ranges)

It was rush mode. Maps on that are very narrow. Conquest is more like Battlefields are and this one is like BF2142. Maps are the size of 2142's city maps, but are not that narrow and offer more flanking/freedom. So it won't be one road where everyone just spams grenades and artillery like on 2142.

Overall I would say it's not as good as BF2 was, but better than 2142 and 1942 or Vietnam. Just needs more maps.

Upvote 0
I don't know what everyone sees in this game.

Well...

Destructible environments as mentioned
Great graphics
Great performance
Best sound design pretty much ever
The sandbox action of previous battlefields in a much more refined format
An addictive class upgrade system
Gameplay/squad system that encourages teamwork

And @Hirmuinen. Play on hardcore servers for much more satisfying weapon damage.

Upvote 0
It was rush mode. Maps on that are very narrow. Conquest is more like Battlefields are and this one is like BF2142. Maps are the size of 2142's city maps, but are not that narrow and offer more flanking/freedom. So it won't be one road where everyone just spams grenades and artillery like on 2142.

Overall I would say it's not as good as BF2 was, but better than 2142 and 1942 or Vietnam. Just needs more maps.

Hmmm... well that's good to know. Yeah that map was WAY too small.

I guess I'll consider getting it once I get my quadcore in a month or so.

Upvote 0
Me and my friends bought BF2 on release day and have never really stopped playing it. We're looking to move on to this after a price drop...but there's something I want to know.

How much of BF2/2142 is still there...and how much run 'n gun has been added because of the success of CoD?

It's always pissed me off that your guns don't always shoot where you're aiming in BF2....but then again, I got bored of the mass frag-fest that is most CoD games. I see veterans both liking and disliking it...can you guys fill us in?

Upvote 0
There's a bit less depth than BF2, but due to the level of destruction that's actually probably a good thing. Customization isn't as broad as 2142, but not as narrow as BF2.

The run in gun is far more tame than in BF2. No more dolphin diving, no more rolling on the ground.

While I say don't completely leave BF2 for it, I wouldn't say don't give Bad Company 2 a try either. It'll hold you over until BF3 though, that's for sure.

Upvote 0