• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Upvote 0
Have you seen this? DICE have said that they believe consoles are holding back PC games. ORLY?

Funny thing is he said: "So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We’re do it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles"

So that's why DICE is going to release a "proper PC" game without mod tools, proper dedicated servers files and tools and many other basic elements, but they already announced DLC (Strike at karkand mappack or something)...

...and prone feature of course!

Shame how they are trying to get more customers and repair their name on PC platform.

Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
I'm pretty convinced that this game will begin the downfall of RO2. I see a lot of the casual crowd hopping into Bf3 from RO2, and not returning.

Downfall? Hardly.

Don't get me wrong, i fully expect the number of fully packed RO2 servers to take a dive when BF3 hits, it would be strange if that wasen't the case, people do want to try the new thing after all.

But that said, they are quite different games, who will attract different and dedicated players, and lots of people will want to play them both.

And when it comes right down to it, it's RO2 that has the potential to last, due to all the free followup support and content that TWI has allways given, and the simple fact that it has full mod support.
BF3 won't be getting that, it'll get some patches (and knowing DICE, they will mess around with the balance constantly, which will annoy a lot of players), and it'll get community splitting DLC at $10 a pop, most of it remakes of old maps.

There will be plenty reason for people to come back to RO2, and there will be new maps, tanks and mods waiting for them when they do.

EDIT: New formula! Now with all new reply to this:
Have you seen this? DICE have said that they believe consoles are holding back PC games. ORLY?

Eh, take note of how when talking about the PC beeing the more capable platform, he's only talking hardware, as in, they can push the graphics further.

That's really an apt description of BF3 from what i can tell, the graphics look gorgeous, there's lots of physics in use, and the game will not be compatible with DX9 era hardware as a result.

But outside of the nice graphics, the game seems to be struggeling just to keep up with it's ancestor, BF2.
Sure they have added 64 players, Jets and prone back in there, but that just means it will be on par with BF2 in thouse areas, which also had all thouse things, but where's the innovation? Where's the "bigger and better" generation leap that one should expect of a sequal, released many years after the fact?

We get nicer graphics, sure, but no innovation, just the same as BF2 made prettier, only at the cost of mod support and server files.. so actually less than BF2 offered, but prettier!!!! YAAAY!! Go Go Gadget lowered expectations!

Last edited:
Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0

Funny thing is he said: "So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We

Upvote 0
We get nicer graphics, sure, but no innovation, just the same as BF2 made prettier, only at the cost of mod support and server files.. so actually less than BF2 offered, but prettier!!!! YAAAY!! Go Go Gadget lowered expectations!

It will be more than a prettier BF2. Destruction, and vehicles that don't feel like they float above the ground will be in, if BFBC2 is any indication. The vehicles in BF2 where simply awful. In BC2 it actually feels like your vehicle is touching the ground. There are also two sets of animations in BF3... while they are incorrect, it will be an improvement over BF2 and BC2.

Even if not realistic, I do like the destruction in BC2. Rockets are actually useful for taking out structures where infantry is hiding.

I am sure the jets will be awful as in BF2... they should just remove them from the game (BF3).

But to say that BF3 will simply be BF2 with prettier graphics is just not right. It will be an improvement in some areas, and a step back in others (no mod support ect.).

Reactions: kapulA and Fedorov
Upvote 0
Hell yeah! And did you see all those cars explode from a few MG rounds? That's so awesome and realistic!
Well that's nitpicking. Honestly, these games are all about no-holds-barred action.

I'm not basing whether the game is good over whether every detail of the game is perfect. That wouldn't be fair for any game.

I'm just going to wait and see if DICE really fulfills its promise to make a true PC game that is a genuine sequel to BF2. A game that is a blast to play but also feels like an evolution from BF2. I'm most afraid that BF3 is going to play like BFBC2.5. We'll see. Until they start showing us MP footage we won't know how well it will stack up in the Battlefield franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilAmericanMan
Upvote 0
The trailer looks good, but the enemy AI looks so stupid. They seem like cannon fodders just like in CoD. They really should hire the AI team of Guerilla.

I have grown to realize that what DICE says and what they do are often two different things. Remember all the pro-PC hype before BC2 released?

Well and they delivered what they promised? 32 players, great optimization, dedicated servers, DirectX 11 support and only thing broken was the server browser.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0