• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Graphics look great and all but how did everyone all over the internet miss the "expansion" announcement at the end of this? Reddit had over 1000 comments and only 2 or 3 people mentioned this. I thought for sure the RO board would be raging hard.

The Back to Karkand DLC will consist of four "reimagined" BF2 maps. Unless there is some news missing here, that is hardly an "expansion". Joystiq implies it will be available day one for purchasers of the limited edition. So very likely a day one splitting of the community. ****!

Add this to lacking mod tools as the two biggest glaring disappointments to an otherwise awesome looking game.

SOURCE: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/battlefield-3-gameplay-footage/

EDIT: Looks like it's not as bad as I thought. Limited Edition apparently just means the first-run copies. All is still well (besides mod tools!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Graphics look great and all but how did everyone all over the internet miss the "expansion" announcement at the end of this? Reddit had over 1000 comments and only 2 or 3 people mentioned this. I thought for sure the RO board would be raging hard.

The Back to Karkand DLC will consist of four "reimagined" BF2 maps. Unless there is some news missing here, that is hardly an "expansion". Joystiq implies it will be available day one for purchasers of the limited edition. So very likely a day one splitting of the community. ****!

Add this to lacking mod tools as the two biggest glaring disappointments to an otherwise awesome looking game.

I can tell that the lack of mod tools and the exclusive map DLC things are not a coincidence. It only confirms what I speculated a few pages back:

How much you guys bet that the real reason to delay the mod tools is because they want to sell a map pack DLC first.

I posted the video because I found the graphics very pretty. But that alone won't make me buy a modern themed shooter. I would be raging if I actually cared about the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SOURCE: [url]http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/battlefield-3-gameplay-footage/[/URL]

EA just can't help themselves.

I hope the extra money they make contributes to executives cholesterol levels.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
Looks good I guess, but it's always annoying to me when game companies put out more than one teaser trailer. I mean the "Teaser trailer" was basically just a sign saying "BATTLEFIELD 2" with music, which is typical. This trailer was basically a second teaser ... which is annoying if you ask me.

WE'VE ALREADY BEEN TEASED X THX BAI.

I'm with you on this one. I really didn't see anything but some bright flashing and bass. How is this really any different than any other military themed game "teaser trailer"? Some flash and emotionally charged music followed by,

"awesome"
"looks pretty"
"nice!"
etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the game. Sure it looks good but it's really just the same ol same ol.
I haven't really "SEEN" anything yet from a 43sec "teaser trailer"

Upvote 0
I'm with you on this one. I really didn't see anything but some bright flashing and bass. How is this really any different than any other military themed game "teaser trailer"? Some flash and emotionally charged music followed by,

"awesome"
"looks pretty"
"nice!"
etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the game. Sure it looks good but it's really just the same ol same ol.
I haven't really "SEEN" anything yet from a 43sec "teaser trailer"

The graphics are superior to any other military shooter. Plus it has a feature-set that is unique to the majority of "mainstream" shooters out there. It's a big budget game that's not 100% derivative. That's what makes it different.

I don't mind the teasers. Initially we were told March 1(?) for the first gameplay footage. If in the mean time we can get some short clips that build up hype so be it. I'd rather this than nothing until March 1.

EDIT: As far as you not "SEEING" anything, well you should have seen a few key things. Mainly that you can see your body in first person ala Arma. Also, it showed the game running in real time (confirmed by DICE) to show that the screenshots weren't bs. You got to see prone, the animation system, and dragging comrades in action. There was a taste of Destruction 3.0 with some particle effects and a huge multi story building (the hotel) being shot to ****. There's actually a ton of content for such small clips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a feeling the high-contrast HDR is causing that illusion just like it did with BC2.

I have to agree. BC2 looked amazing in the trailers and videos, yet not that great in game. Or maybe I've just become accustomed to that level of graphics already.

Either way, teaser video is a tease. It looks nice, but I'm not biting the hook until they put some more meat on it.

Upvote 0
The graphics are superior to any other military shooter.

Yes it does look impressive at first glance, but the gritty dark-light extreme contrast with sunlight and non-sunlight is older than dirt at this point as aesthetic artstyle. Even Resident Evil 5 had more colours in the enviroment despite the dominating gritty sand and dirt, as they are mostly used to enhance the visuals with reasonable model\texture base instead of using them as backbone for the visuals.

Call me silly if you wish, but even with the whole kiddie-syndrome joke I'd like to see a game that actually has colours besides two shades with anemic contrast with careful and reasonable use of effects instead of overdoing and slapping it in your face.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Call me silly if you wish, but even with the whole kiddie-syndrome joke I'd like to see a game that actually has colours besides two shades with anemic contrast with careful and reasonable use of effects instead of overdoing and slapping it in your face.

I could name a "certain game" now... but I would probably get flamed for it. It seems to be forbidden to talk about it in this section :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EA announced the Back to Karkand DLC map when BF3 preorders started. Very lame to offer a remake map for preorderers that can be purchased later by others. Community-splitting DLC's shouldn't exist.

Upvote 0
I love how they call that a gameplay video even if it features no gameplay.

How do you know what was showed wasn't gameplay? It's all in-game footage. Sure, some of it look pretty scripted but they are using a new animation system so it's not all that unlikely the gameplay will look just like that.

As for you graphics haters. Stock BC2 for sure has some problems with glazing over everything with one dominant color (ie. snow levels glaringly white, deserts glaringly tan). The Vietnam expansion improves alot on this though. But on both of them the texture work is, for the most part, superb. If you can tweak the bloom and color settings its a phenomenal looking game. This BF3 footage doesn't really indicate it has the same problem yet and even if it does you will probably be able to control it to a reasonable degree the same way you can with BC2. I don't really see the complaint against the color scheme to be very valid at this point. It looks pretty appropriate to me. Iraq doesn't necessarily look like a rainbow.

Upvote 0
A new interview with a developer is up. Ironically, alot of the stuff (at the beginning) he says makes perfect sense and offers great support for why RO2 will be an amazing game!

[url]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/02/25/battlefield-3-producer-dissects-the-fps-genre.aspx[/URL]
And that's exactly the kind of fanboyism people on these boards are complaining about. Talk about the game itself and not how inferior it will be to almighty HoS.

Upvote 0
How do you know what was showed wasn't gameplay? It's all in-game footage. Sure, some of it look pretty scripted but they are using a new animation system so it's not all that unlikely the gameplay will look just like that.

Its in-game footage, but i like to call gameplay if they really show the gunplay, some features, etc... not the graphics and animations, which looks amazing and is pretty much what they showed there...

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Someone mentioned that the teasers confirm a 1st person body , they do not, they confirm it in cutscenes thats all, we've seen plenty of games where you can see your own feet only while performing certain actions such as mantling or inside a cut scene script.

Otherwise i agree with the posts that its got potential , but BC2 did indeed look amazing in its trailers yet when launched on a HD monitor with a person 0,5 meters away it did not look quite so impressive.. amazing what some trailers, HDR and distance can do.

Upvote 0
And that's exactly the kind of fanboyism people on these boards are complaining about. Talk about the game itself and not how inferior it will be to almighty HoS.
Well in all honesty I don't find what he said about good game design to be consistent with the last Battlefield games they have been making.

I was GOING to say that, but I decided to go the more positive route by saying that his support of realism and immersion seemed very consistent with all of the things that John Gibson has said about RO.

I just thought it was interesting -- no need to flame me. I'm not the one going around name-calling for no reason. Of course I'm an RO fan, it doesn't take a moron to figure that out, but I want BF3 to be great too -- I played Battlefield titles before I got into RO.

I also don't think it should be very difficult to understand why me and a lot of people are VERY skeptical about DICE's ability to make a true sequel to BF2, given the way they have treated their PC fan base over the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0