• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Played for over an hour.

I knew this game was going to be good but it took me by surprise, this is much more than BC2 with a newer engine. It is also much more hardcore than previous Battlefield games.

Movement is much slower than in previous Battlefield games, you feel heavier. Its not clunky but it feels a bit more like RO's system. True first person view also adds to the immersion.

Suppression works well, you can't see **** when your under heavy fire.

Squads progress slow through the map covering each other. It kind of blends arcade with tactical elements.

It also feels like a proper PC game. In no way shape or form do you feel like your playing on something that is designed for slower consoles. I really like the engine.

Anyone that is going to dismiss this as a BC2 clone is missing out.

Agreed.

Only thing that bothers me is the map, it's way too small and chokepoint infested, so it really doesn't bring out the best of the gameplay. Good news is that DICE's community manager posted on the BF forums saying that if things go as intented, PC players will get a surprise(caspian border) tomorrow.. i'm excited already.

Upvote 0
The recoil is fairly high on the guns but they are also more powerful in comparison to those in BC2 or MoH.

Earlier I killed 2 enemies in a couple of seconds who ran out in front of my setup MG, this was with the starter MG. The M249 that I have unlocked is more powerful still.

The guns were too weak really in MoH as it was very unlikely you could kill more than a couple of people with one mag.

Upvote 0
Played for over an hour.

I knew this game was going to be good but it took me by surprise, this is much more than BC2 with a newer engine. It is also much more hardcore than previous Battlefield games.

Movement is much slower than in previous Battlefield games, you feel heavier. Its not clunky but it feels a bit more like RO's system. True first person view also adds to the immersion.

Suppression works well, you can't see **** when your under heavy fire.

Squads progress slow through the map covering each other. It kind of blends arcade with tactical elements.

It also feels like a proper PC game. In no way shape or form do you feel like your playing on something that is designed for slower consoles. I really like the engine.

Anyone that is going to dismiss this as a BC2 clone is missing out.
Sounds promising. I really didn't like how BC2 felt to play -- it totally looked and felt like a console port from every angle from UI, to FoV, to the clunky looking movement and weird recoil.

I unfortunately won't be able to try it until Friday since I don't have early beta access.

Upvote 0
Cross post from a post I just made on my own site about this:

I really, really don't know how I feel about this game, about Battlelog, about any of it.

Between the headaches with EA completely screwing things up for those people who had a key previously and put in a second key, to little things like not even being able to change your game options until you've found a server in battlelog that isn't full, join up, load the game, and spawn in, to being knocked out of the options menu and/or unable to get to it because the killcam/death screens take the utmost precedence, to the game in its current state feeling like a freaky mix of CoD, Bad Company 2, and BF2...

I just... I really don't know. :(

As an aside, I'd like to give a hearty "screw you" to EA support person "Kenneth." You made me waste a third key today. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Cross post from a post I just made on my own site about this:

Man, and I thought I'd have to wait all the way up until release for illuminating comparisons between RO2 and BF3. :p

With all the annoyances, and the scope of "first time" things in BF3 (Origin, Battlelog, new way of signing into a server, an even more obtuse and unnecessarily confusing account system...) it's just not going to be a pretty release, at all.

Anyone want to start a pool on the game getting pushed back? My money is on no.

Upvote 0