• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

It's like watching the RO trailer and saying "What's new here guys? It's the same Red Orchestra with better graphics and a few more features . . . ewww . . . "

Yes it's still the Battlefield the fans loved(surprise), but with an insanely upgraded frostbite engine, more destruction(fits so well into the Battlefield gameplay), a bit more realism(it seems) a brand new animation system and so on we don't know about.

It's more than enough to get excited for.

Not so very substantial (second part totally supports my view; nothing aside from destruction and nice shiny effects)

Also don't go defending like I am some RO2 fanboy please.
I might as well be a Killing floor nerd:cool:

Although RO2 is having a lot more features and improvements, that was not really the point.
I was just wondering why a lot of people said this gtrailer proves it will be so much better, while it doesn't show anything new.

If RO2 didn't release the PAX video showing a lot of the new mechanics, I would have said it about RO2 too. It was just an observation.

The game has built-in features to support teamplay. Red Orchestra 1 didn't really have that. Red Orchestra 2 has a more structured squad system than RO1, but its still not anywhere near BF3 in terms of teamplay capabilities.

For example, finding your friend in a BF game is a simple as finding his colored icon. Finding a friend in RO, good luck :D

There are a lot of new features they added to BF3 that hasn't been in any BF game yet (even though these features may not be new to the genre). Things like mantling (looks a smooth as Brink), bipods, suppression, opt out of revives, shooting out light sources to darken environments, vehicles can become immobilized, flashlights can disorient players when shined in dark places and etc. You just gotta dig into my previous posts.

==========

At first I was thinking Red Orchestra 2 is going to be the FPS game with the most mechanics and BF3 was going to be that big war cinematic feel. Now I'm starting to wonder as they release more and more new mechanics they added for BF3. Show me something cool Tripwire so I can brag about RO2 some more. I sneak it into my posts about other games :D

Very informative reply, first of all thanks for the info:)
Although I don't agree with all (Finding friends is also easy over voip) and I am sceptical about the in-game use of some mechanics (shooting light-scources, seeing the videos bullets will tear down walls instead just the light..) but I am glad they actually improved the game instead of releasing some new weapons and maps (kuchcrapfare..kuch).

Everything you said I didn't see in the video, if it was I probably was getting far more excited:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • New feature called Suppression - all the bullets you fire at an enemy affect them regardless if you hit them or not. All the bullets you fire that get close enough will start to reduce their combat efficiency. Squad can then flank the enemy and you will receive a Suppression score.
sounds better than the post on the bf blog, which hints that your character will be able to determine whether the bullets are coming out of an m60 or a g3 and respond accordingly :p
  • Knifing system more dramatic, spectacular
really? one yearns to return to the good ol' days when you could stab someone accurately and then get back to the fight, instead of looking like 47 assassinating someone with a kitchen knife :(
  • 100 points for killing someone, 10 extra points for a headshot, 100 points for reviving
well, I knew the us economy was bad but now it's getting silly. [grandpa] I can remember the days when killing someone in battlefield only netted you 2 points, with blahblahblah...[/grandpa]

• In order to revive you must hover over the dead body and hold down left mouse button while your character rubs the paddles together and charges them before the player is revived

this alongside the ability to refuse revive - they've fixed ****ty reviving TWICE :D

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who thinks the tank gameplay was pretty lame?

What gameplay? I only saw a brain numbing video, edited with extremely short shots of what could be a multiplayer match, confusing transitions and a BZZZZT at the end.

Sorry but I'm done with companies trying to deceive my brain with that kind of ****.

Spoiler!

Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0
These SP experiences should be considered more of an interactive movie than a game. Once you get that into your head, you won't be bothered as much about the linearity and abundance of scripted events.

I still hate it tho and would gladly go back to the olden days of early Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games, where you actually had some choice when it came to completing a mission.

But I realize that this is something that the two big mainstream FPS developers are not striving for. They'd rather lead you by the hand through their interactive story, try to make you look and feel as bad*** as possible, overwhelm you with big explosions and cheesy one-liners, etc.

Oh well... I guess that's what sells...

Edit:
Also, I wonder if there's any truth behind this article: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...anted-to-play-battlefield-3-at-e3-ea-said-no/

Last edited:
Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
Am I the only one who thinks the tank gameplay was pretty lame?

Tank gameplay has always been the same. What really made me smile was the environment they produced using Frostbite 2.0 engine.

Everything you said I didn't see in the video, if it was I probably was getting far more excited:D
They might not all be in the videos, but if you're an avid BF fan like me. I've read every single BF3 interview and watch every single BF3 live stream they've released during E3.

From my post 1-2 pages back.
Things We Know about Battlefield 3 (Updated: 6/8/11) <- My WordPress, since it lets me import Word Docs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These SP experiences should be considered more of an interactive movie than a game.

That's it in a nutshell. Personally, I've been cringing in all the SP trailers we've seen because of that. I know, I know, it gets people off and sells seats....but I always feel completely non immersed.

You can't accurately judge the game until you can see average joes playing MP on their own rig IMO. And from what limited vid I've seen of people playing the Paris map at the E3 demo, the gameplay is identical to COD/BO/BC et all just with nicer effects. A lot of that is the map, it's just a brainless shoot em up corridor frag fest, so I'll just wait and see what comes down the pipe next.

Upvote 0
They might not all be in the videos, but if you're an avid BF fan like me. I've read every single BF3 interview and watch every single BF3 live stream they've released during E3.

As I said before, I was just wondering why everybody is praising to god when seeing these while they only show some nice visuals (error 2, they should pray to IS2).
As some1 replied to me, there are some 'new' things in BF3 and I am happy they put it in:). But instead of showing of all these things in the trailers (doesnt have to be explicit), they just show of the engine with the most boring piece of sp ever and anti-tank rifles leveling buildings.

Yeah the engine produces stunning visuals and I am really impressed with the overkill of destruction, but even the sexiest and prettiest girl you know might have a horrible breath...

Short: Nice visuals, but Crysis has that too:eek:, please show off DICE!

Also I have no idea why the 'but' in your first sentence, 'They might not all be in the videos, but if you're an avid BF fan like me...' think there is a piece missing:confused:

Upvote 0
The SP won't be ground breaking. I think it is made to show off the engine more than anything. Considering it an extra component for free. Even if it is a CoD like 5-6 interactive movie, it can't be bad for free.

In terms of the tank gameplay, what was everyone expecting? Of course it is going to be point and click gameplay with a player playing as both the gunner and driver.

Upvote 0
Updated "Things We Know about Battlefield 3 (Updated: 6/9/11)"
Added Red Font to the new information

YouTube - ‪Battlefield 3 E3 2011 pre-Alpha Hands-on Recap ft. d0n7bl1nk, redd_dragons, markrem0, & jayblings‬‏

As I said before, I was just wondering why everybody is praising to god when seeing these while they only show some nice visuals
Its a game you have to play to experience for yourself. You can't just watch Red Orchestra videos and already expect to know how it plays. It just doesn't work that way. Just know that gameplay trailers and gameplay features/mechanic trailers are designed to do different things.

Also I have no idea why the 'but' in your first sentence, 'They might not all be in the videos, but if you're an avid BF fan like me...' think there is a piece missing:confused:

They might not all be in the videos, but if you're an avid BF fan like me, I've read every single BF3 interview and watch every single BF3 live stream they've released during E3.

Remove a period and add a comma, if that is still wrong then Grammar Police me again.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's your specs:

http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
Graphics card memory: 512 MB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Upvote 0