• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Aside form some more smoke effects and more grass, can somebody tell me whats new in the video?

Seems like its all the same as the last one, especially the metro trailer, nothing but some overkill on the building destruction and some hip shooting...

Probably fun and might buy it, but what is so frigging awesome? I just don't get it... ('they have prone!!!' doesnt count)

Originally Posted by Krazyxazn
From Planet Battlefield:

Most of the rifles that we played with had 3 fire mode : automatic, semi-automatic, and single shot

Love to see the mosin nagant with 71 drum mag AND auto-bolt system while having the possibility of manually bolt it yourself.
I don't see any other gun matching the description...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aside form some more smoke effects and more grass, can somebody tell me whats new in the video?

It's like watching the RO trailer and saying "What's new here guys? It's the same Red Orchestra with better graphics and a few more features . . . ewww . . . "

Yes it's still the Battlefield the fans loved(surprise), but with an insanely upgraded frostbite engine, more destruction(fits so well into the Battlefield gameplay), a bit more realism(it seems) a brand new animation system and so on we don't know about.

It's more than enough to get excited for.

Upvote 0
It's like watching the RO trailer and saying "What's new here guys? It's the same Red Orchestra with better graphics and a few more features . . . ewww . . . "

Yes it's still the Battlefield the fans loved(surprise), but with an insanely upgraded frostbite engine, more destruction(fits so well into the Battlefield gameplay), a bit more realism(it seems) a brand new animation system and so on we don't know about.

It's more than enough to get excited for.
Indeed. I just hope it isn't as uber-spammy as BF2 was, especially on maps with helicopters and jets. It was so incredibly lame to spawn and always get instantly zapped by some guy who has been camping the plane spawn all day long.

Upvote 0
IN DEPTH LOOK AND Q&A WITH BATTLEFIELD 3 (STARTING JUNE 8TH AT 4:30PM PT / 7:30PM ET)

YouTube - ‪Battlefield 3: E3 2011 Day #1‬‏

Seems like its all the same as the last one, especially the metro trailer, nothing but some overkill on the building destruction and some hip shooting...

Probably fun and might buy it, but what is so frigging awesome? I just don't get it... ('they have prone!!!' doesnt count)

The game has built-in features to support teamplay. Red Orchestra 1 didn't really have that. Red Orchestra 2 has a more structured squad system than RO1, but its still not anywhere near BF3 in terms of teamplay capabilities.

For example, finding your friend in a BF game is a simple as finding his colored icon. Finding a friend in RO, good luck :D

There are a lot of new features they added to BF3 that hasn't been in any BF game yet (even though these features may not be new to the genre). Things like mantling (looks a smooth as Brink), bipods, suppression, opt out of revives, shooting out light sources to darken environments, vehicles can become immobilized, flashlights can disorient players when shined in dark places and etc. You just gotta dig into my previous posts.

==========

At first I was thinking Red Orchestra 2 is going to be the FPS game with the most mechanics and BF3 was going to be that big war cinematic feel. Now I'm starting to wonder as they release more and more new mechanics they added for BF3. Show me something cool Tripwire so I can brag about RO2 some more. I sneak it into my posts about other games :D

Still getting both games though, without a doubt.

I hope they meant burst.
Yes, they meant burst fire (instead of semi-automatic). Auto, Burst, Single-Fire

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
IN DEPTH LOOK AND Q&A WITH BATTLEFIELD 3 (STARTING JUNE 8TH AT 4:30PM PT / 7:30PM ET)

YouTube - ‪Battlefield 3: E3 2011 Day #1‬‏

The game has built-in features to support teamplay. Red Orchestra 1 didn't really have that. Red Orchestra 2 has a more structured squad system than RO1, but its still not anywhere near BF3 in terms of teamplay capabilities.

For example, finding your friend in a BF game is a simple as finding his colored icon. Finding a friend in RO, good luck :D

There are a lot of new features they added to BF3 that hasn't been in any BF game yet (even though these features may not be new to the genre). Things like mantling (looks a smooth as Brink), bipods, suppression, opt out of revives, shooting out light sources to darken environments, vehicles can become immobilized, and etc. You just gotta dig into my previous posts.
Ooooh how nice it is to see so many people demoing a game on PC!

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
They've only been demoing it on the PC in all their events. The only thing anyone could get out of them is that it uses a single GTX 580 to power the game.
Yeah well that's a far cry from my 260. I won't be buying this game til I have a better card. My i7 930 should do nicely, though.

Upvote 0
I loathed making the jump to Win 7, but it was actually less painful than I thought it would be, and Win 7 is pretty user friendly. And more stable than XP so far that I've seen.

The time is coming when any AAA game is going to require more than a 32-bit OS can provide, so you might as well take the plunge now if you are able. Then you can safely say "Yes" to anything that comes out, and being wrong isn't that big of a hassle. I'd argue its already here, personally.

Still. Time to go find a good deal on a decent GTX series. If it's running on a single GTX 580, then after optimization and such you might be able to get away with less than that for decently high performance, other components withstanding. Game companies tend to max out their hardware to what they expect the average to high end user to have when they do these demos, so expecting less than that seems reasonable.

Just curious, is that the older 1.5GB GTX580 or the newer 3GB GTX580? Probably a big difference.

My money would be on the 3 gig version. Which is why maybe everyone reported it was very smooth for the most part, an abundance of video card memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt that 3GB is the reason it runs so smooth.

The extra memory will only help at ridiculously high resolutions like split between three screens with lots of AA. At that point the 580's processing power will be the bottleneck, not its memory.

This. I doubt BF3 will push past 1.5GB. It probably will push past 1GB, but I doubt 1.5GB. If it is not using anymore RAM, then the extra 1GB or so won't do anything for performance.

If you have Nvidia you can download Nvidia Inspector and it will show you how much video RAM is being used.

Upvote 0
The annoying part for me is that I'll have to format and use a 64bit system to play. But I guess it'll be worth it.

Welcome to 1993 ! Enjoy your stay! :]
(I'm counting DECs as the first semi-accessible 64bit system here)

A bit of an aside here, but I honestly don't know why anyone would not go 64-bit these days anyway, drivers have caught up a few years ago (for anything I've used, which was the last great hurtle I believe). If you're still running an Windows OS install from 4+ years ago, I guess you're excused then.

Upvote 0