• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

I personally like a clear direction in a game, however I like to choose for myself how to solve an issue.

I like missions where you need to get to postion X, and you can choose for yourself how to get there.

I personally do not like sandbox games in the sense that you're dumped in a sandbox and can choose everything you wish to do. Give me a mission to solve in an open world. With different pacings through the ride.
I don't think the DICE representative was talking about a true sandbox, where you just get dropped in the game and have to figure out what to do and set your own goals.

Rather, he was speaking about open world games, like the ArmA series, or hell, even Crysis and Far Cry. Basically games where you have a mission, but you are not led down a corridor 100% of the time and you can choose how to approach a situation on your own.

Upvote 0
I guess it was balanced out by all the team killing that took place before anyone actually managed to get into one.:p

All I can say about aircraft in Battlefield games is that I always had the most fun with them when no one wanted to play seriously anymore and we just started messing with planes and helicopters. Crazy stunts, flailing tanks around with that one helicopter in BF:V that had the hook...

Upvote 0
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1160106p1.html

"This November, we're launching Battlefield 3. It's going up against the next Call of Duty, which is presently the number one game in the game industry," he said. "A game that last year did $400 million dollars in revenue on day one. [Battlefield 3] is designed to take that game down."
Great. Because we all know the most memorable games are born when publishers push devs to top other devs, and not when a game is an original creation driven by love and the desire to make a dream into a reality.

This is really starting to seem more like Bad Company 2.5 than a fresh start for the BF series. I mean, when you're gunning for the biggest share of all the 13-year-olds and console gamers, exactly how finesse'd should really expect this game to be?

Upvote 0
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1160106p1.html

Great. Because we all know the most memorable games are born when publishers push devs to top other devs, and not when a game is an original creation driven by love and the desire to make a dream into a reality.

This is really starting to seem more like Bad Company 2.5 than a fresh start for the BF series. I mean, when you're gunning for the biggest share of all the 13-year-olds and console gamers, exactly how finesse'd should really expect this game to be?
Haha exactly. It's clear DICE is trying to beat the Mainstreamers at their own game ... by making a game that is even MORE mainstream. Ugh, wonderful guys.

More reasons why I remain unexcited by this game.

Upvote 0
In other words, BF3's goal is to BE the next CoD. No thanks, I was hoping for more.

Becoming more popular than something does not necessarily mean becoming it. I can't argue them developing the game with the plan to overtake CoD will not hurt the final product but it doesn't mean BF3 will actually be CoD.

I expected to read an article about DICE developers talking about how they're replicating exact features that make CoD great or some other nonsense. Instead it was advertising and marketing mumbo jumbo from the EA CEO. Less sensationalism please. ;)

Reactions: Murphy and Nimsky
Upvote 0
Becoming more popular than something does not necessarily mean becoming it. I can't argue them developing the game with the plan to overtake CoD will not hurt the final product but it doesn't mean BF3 will actually be CoD.

I expected to read an article about DICE developers talking about how they're replicating exact features that make CoD great or some other nonsense. Instead it was advertising and marketing mumbo jumbo from the EA CEO. Less sensationalism please. ;)
I understand completley what you're saying, but any time that a company repeatedly sets its goals for success as "taking down X or Y" they are already limiting themselves.

I find it to be such a shallow goal that isn't good for their public image. I would think they would much rather say "Our goal is to make great games to the best of our ability, and if that happens to mean surpassing other games in sales, then so be it." It may sound like semantics, but I think it really says something about the mindset of a company when it repeatedly measures its own success by how close it is to eliminating the competition.

Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0
The people who make the games (and hopefully want them to be as good as possible) and the people who sell the games (and hopefully want them to surpass CoD) are unfortunately not the same people in most cases.
What matters are the compromises between them, not the hot air they talk in media outlets that let them.

I just wonder why some of you here are apparently surprised to see BF3 outing itself as a mainstream game!?:confused:

Upvote 0
I'm not surprised. I'm just unhappy about feeling the need to market the game that way. Some EA publisher was like "oh oh, it's been a week since we said anything about BF3! Time to make some ridiculous statement so we're back on top of the news cycle!"

It irritates me as a gamer. I can't even imagine how much face palming goes on at DICE when they read stuff like that, or are asked to follow such a goal.

Upvote 0
I hated the jets in BF2, guys with 120-2 K/D ratios spiraling around above the spawns just raping...... The maps were too small for fun fixed wing aircraft.

Fixed it for you. It is impossible to have somewhat realistic jets on such a small map, let alone having fun jets. The jets in BF2 where not fun to use at all. Horrible "saggy" flight model, in your face draw distance, no room to do anything, serious altitude restrictions.

The smallest size maps that would be fun for jets would be Ace Combat sized maps. Otherwise, it is better to not bother.

Upvote 0