• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

A friendly got shot in slow motion... increasing the drama of the story!

The graphics are amazing, and that bloody screen comes from someone else's blood, which is nice for a change. Too much motion blur tho.
Art/visuals aren't final yet. In fact they said they haven't even been optimized yet so there's a good chance the blur will get toned down, perhaps even an option, perhaps an ini tweak. Regardless, I'm sure there'll be a way to "fix" it.

Upvote 0
Looks real nice - I am optimistic about this. PC primary platform is a massive bonus in my book.

Just a observation; I don't think dragging wounded team mates is really a feature - it looks like a scripted sequence. Also there does not seem much point if you can instant revive a team mate. If reviving takes time then great but I don't think its that kind of game.

I hope instant revive is removed all together because its stupid. A squad of medics reviving each other - ****ing stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Am I the only one thinking this trailer is ****?

They showed some graphical footage in 3 second clips... with maybe a feature (wounded dragging). Even a nice hollywood like cut-scene would be better to show the scene and ambience of the game...

Also calling this a gameplay trailer is of course lame:rolleyes:

Edit: Just saw that is was about another trailer of BF3 (one from IGN which I thought was the only one released, wrong I was...) so my above comment doesn't apply anymore.

The trailer of page 14 was indeed awesome, although I rather saw some MP footage. Lot of scripted events and (afai could see) linear levels. And is it me or does the first person weapon model look weirdly thin when he's running?
Nice dust/smoke effects btw

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope instant revive is removed all together because its stupid. A squad of medics reviving each other - ****ing stupid.

Maybe finally Dice dares to place some sort of class restricts to squads and enforce squad play. Just some "more points" to squad players just doesn't cut it, I think huge potential is lost with such innovation that BF2 brought. Would be very interesting having only 1 medic per squad and create much more immersive and "healty" squad differentiation. Besides best moments in BF2 were when you had a squad working together, the tools are there it just needs some more thinking to fully integrate the squad play to the core of the game.

I don't know what the results would be, but I believe with some small things like 1 medic per squad and enforced squad joining could have more positive aspects rather than negative ones, which the BF players usually counter the class restrictions. No more medic spamming, half team sniper camping or endless grenade spamming...
Little realism added it could bring the BFs to totally new level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makino and Dcode
Upvote 0
Maybe finally Dice dares to place some sort of class restricts to squads and enforce squad play. Just some "more points" to squad players just doesn't cut it, I think huge potential is lost with such innovation that BF2 brought. Would be very interesting having only 1 medic per squad and create much more immersive and "healty" squad differentiation. Besides best moments in BF2 were when you had a squad working together, the tools are there it just needs some more thinking to fully integrate the squad play to the core of the game.

I don't know what the results would be, but I believe with some small things like 1 medic per squad and enforced squad joining could have more positive aspects rather than negative ones, which the BF players usually counter the class restrictions. No more medic spamming, half team sniper camping or endless grenade spamming...
Little realism added it could bring the BFs to totally new level.

I agree. It would make it hell of a lot more tolerable after longer period of time.

Bah I sound cynical.

Upvote 0
My first, unavoidable gut reaction to that video is "Sounds like a slightly more realistic typical MW shooter story, and looks like a more photo-realistic BC2/MW2.

But the lighting and the animations do look pretty amazing.

I wonder if that's how minimal they plan to have the HUD, and if they're going to do a pop up HUD for more.

I was shocked to watch the player take a round and not get bloody screen.

I'm more or less locked in BF3....but they're not really going to get much enthusiasm from me until a) I get to see some vehicles and b) I get to see some unscripted multi-player. Teasing the **** out of the SP campaign does nothing for me anymore. I've played so many MW SP campaigns now they all tend to blur together. Christ, it's like the guys even manage to sound the same between franchises.

Anyways, other than what seems like some fairly typical campaign ideas, it looks great.

Upvote 0
In the end no matter how good the game, if it cannot have maps / missions / mods made for it, then replayability is severly limited.

Absolutely!

While the teaser is beautiful from a graphics and animation point of view, we all know MP won't look quite like that. It does look like a great engine which makes me all the more annoyed that it won't be modable. Can you imagine the great gameplay you could develop with mods? Geesh.

Upvote 0
The best thing about this trailer is the fact that it's clearly being demo'd on PC which is very promising. And rare these days, even for "PC titles."

I don't like the firing sound for the M4, which has waaaaay too much bass in it, and I don't think it should be firing full auto. But at least its gameplay and the graphics look amazing!

One really nice thing I noticed is the weapon animations are spot on in the video. The player empties all of the gun's mags completely the first few times, so you see him cock the gun after each reload. But in the clip where everyone is saying "I'm up!" the player reloads with a partial clip and doesn't cock his gun after. This is a big deal because in games like BF:BC2 and BF2, there's only one reload animation per gun, regardless of whether all the rounds were expended or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One really nice thing I noticed is the weapon animations are spot on in the video. The player empties all of the gun's mags completely the first few times, so you see him cock the gun after each reload. But in the clip where everyone is saying "I'm up!" the player reloads with a partial clip and doesn't cock his gun after. This is a big deal because in games like BF:BC2 and BF2, there's only one reload animation per gun, regardless of whether all the rounds were expended or not.

If you look at the ammo counter, you can also see that he has 31 rounds in the rifle after a partial reload, but 30 rounds after a standard reload. :IS2:

Upvote 0